2015 NHK Short Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Short Dance

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I love Bobrova/Soloviev skating style: such long and deep curves, long lines, very deep edges, precision and confidence. Maturity. While some of the Russian teams look like kids (no offence, I love them all). It was definitely best skate from them this season. I still don't like her dress, though. And I still see a lot of things they can improve. Watch them to hit 70 at Euros.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am still in awe over S/B's sit spin twizzles. Has anyone else ever done that (I don't think I've ever seen it before).

Love that the Shibs are in 1st place, love that Coppelia program!

I agree with Snow above - B/S are amazing and she is just beautiful. I am becoming a fan, although I don't want them to beat I/Z at Russian Nat's!

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I am still in awe over S/B's sit spin twizzles. Has anyone else ever done that (I don't think I've ever seen it before).

Love that the Shibs are in 1st place, love that Coppelia program!

I agree with Snow above - B/S are amazing and she is just beautiful. I am becoming a fan, although I don't want them to beat I/Z at Russian Nat's!

I must say I really liked the Shibs. I also think BS have a nice program.

Russian Nationals will be interesting. BS have the highest SD score, ignoring IZ'S CoR messup but taking their CoC score. In fact ignoring CoR all together, BS have the highest SD score and SK the highest FD score of the Russian teams. That is still true to thus point. I am curious to see what BS will score on their FD. BS are probably the most stable/consistent ones and most experienced, so if they do well on their FD I would say they could enter Russian Nationals as slight favorites.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Just watched the SD. Thought the Shibs clearly won this section of the event. Charming program, great twizzles generating the best distance covered of the other teams. Thought B&S should have outpointed H&D based on better ice coverage and speed. Don't care for H&D's program. They got very little distance in the twizzle section - in one section almost twizzling in place. So I would have had them third here.

Yes--I was yelling Pirouette at my screen during H/D's twizzles.

I'm gonna get on my soap box for a minute about B/S. I've watched ID for 30+ years (yes, I'm getting to be an old fart), and what B/S have done for their return is very interesting: they're skating in what you might call the "traditional High Russian style." As Snow pointed out above, that means deep deep edges, long strokes, big curves. Ballet influenced. And :drama::drama::drama:. One thing you can never fault a Russian skater for is bad technique. But you can fault them for sometimes mistaking genuine emotion for manufactured melodrama (yes, Monko/Khalvian I am looking--and pointing--at you). Or for applying that penchant for Drahmah! Dramah! Dramah! in ways and to programs that are not appropriate (yes I/K, I remember your Ghost program; yes B/S, I will never forget your 'for the birds' program).

Out of the mad rush to try to copy Pap/Ciz's success last year, Hub/Don are probably the most successful. And I think I figured out why that is: their height and long limbs. It makes the rather bland Montreal Mush school of choreography look its best because it accentuates the line of the body. But really, it's all very 19th century French academic painting. Go to any museum and look at 19th century painting that isn't impressionism (or Ingres or David). That academic style of painting was considered the very height of Good Taste and Great Artistry. And now frankly it's all very pretty and all very bland and somewhat boring, with one painting virtually indistinguishable from another. So let's say that H/D are the Ingres of Montreal (and Pap/Ciz the David). But as KKonas pointed out, they don't have the ice coverage and speed of the other top teams (and the single biggest scoring factor in ID has and probably will always be speed).

Look I'll be the first to razz on B/S if they cross the line from passion and drama to histrionics and melodrama. But credit where credit is due: both their SD and FD this year are High Russian Style at its finest. If this were the 6.0 era, we would probably all be raving about them (alas, High Russian Style isn't as suited for the COP and tech trick era as it was for the 6.0 era). There's a Woody Allen joke I love: if you're an Orthodox Jew and want to eat pork, eat it until the fat dribbles down your chin. Well B/S have done the same with their style. More power to them.

Oh, the Shibs CLEARLY won this. And as a longtime Shibs fan I feel Vindicated For My Faith In Them. Such a joy to see Maia come out of her shell (I am living for her expression after she smacks Alex in the head). But B/S should be in second, followed very closely behind by H/D.

As ever, YMMV.

tvuckic16

Final Flight

I'm gonna get on my soap box for a minute about B/S. I've watched ID for 30+ years (yes, I'm getting to be an old fart), and what B/S have done for their return is very interesting: they're skating in what you might call the "traditional High Russian style." As Snow pointed out above, that means deep deep edges, long strokes, big curves. Ballet influenced. And :drama::drama::drama:. One thing you can never fault a Russian skater for is bad technique. But you can fault them for sometimes mistaking genuine emotion for manufactured melodrama (yes, Monko/Khalvian I am looking--and pointing--at you). Or for applying that penchant for Drahmah! Dramah! Dramah! in ways and to programs that are not appropriate (yes I/K, I remember your Ghost program; yes B/S, I will never forget your 'for the birds' program).

Out of the mad rush to try to copy Pap/Ciz's success last year, Hub/Don are probably the most successful. And I think I figured out why that is: their height and long limbs. It makes the rather bland Montreal Mush school of choreography look its best because it accentuates the line of the body. But really, it's all very 19th century French academic painting. Go to any museum and look at 19th century painting that isn't impressionism (or Ingres or David). That academic style of painting was considered the very height of Good Taste and Great Artistry. And now frankly it's all very pretty and all very bland and somewhat boring, with one painting virtually indistinguishable from another. So let's say that H/D are the Ingres of Montreal (and Pap/Ciz the David). But as KKonas pointed out, they don't have the ice coverage and speed of the other top teams (and the single biggest scoring factor in ID has and probably will always be speed).

Look I'll be the first to razz on B/S if they cross the line from passion and drama to histrionics and melodrama. But credit where credit is due: both their SD and FD this year are High Russian Style at its finest. If this were the 6.0 era, we would probably all be raving about them (alas, High Russian Style isn't as suited for the COP and tech trick era as it was for the 6.0 era). There's a Woody Allen joke I love: if you're an Orthodox Jew and want to eat pork, eat it until the fat dribbles down your chin. Well B/S have done the same with their style. More power to them.

Oh, the Shibs CLEARLY won this. And as a longtime Shibs fan I feel Vindicated For My Faith In Them. Such a joy to see Maia come out of her shell (I am living for her expression after she smacks Alex in the head). But B/S should be in second, followed very closely behind by H/D.

As ever, YMMV.

I agree, I would have has Shibs, BS and then HD after the short.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker

I didn't know you were that old... :slink:

Kidding :laugh: Sorry.

Hubbel/Donohue twizzles were fine, no pirouettes. However, I don't see a reason for them to be scored 7.80 points (same as Bobrova/Soloviev, and just 0.09 points less than the Shibs). At least they're twizzling better than Kaitlyn Weaver, who performs them on borderline with 3-turns more often than not. It's a shame ISU threw out 'Speed and Flow' from the set of characteristics for grading execution of twizzles. They basically say: 'You can do them as slow and safe as you want and still have +3 for execution'. I think it's a mistake. I like attack on twizzles, that's why I find Bobrova/Soloviev's twizzles undermarked. They're jumping (performing dance jump) right on the edges into the twizzles, which is much more difficult than to add third set of twizzles with 3 rotation after balancing steps. But oh well. The rules are rules.

And yes, that Birds program was so over the top... But it was VERY challenging technically. Very.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I didn't know you were that old... :slink:

Kidding :laugh: Sorry.

Hubbel/Donohue twizzles were fine, no pirouettes. However, I don't see a reason for them to be scored 7.80 points (same as Bobrova/Soloviev, and just 0.09 points less than the Shibs). At least they're twizzling better than Kaitlyn Weaver, who performs them on borderline with 3-turns more often than not. It's a shame ISU threw out 'Speed and Flow' from the set of characteristics for grading execution of twizzles. They basically say: 'You can do them as slow and safe as you want and still have +3 for execution'. I think it's a mistake. I like attack on twizzles, that's why I find Bobrova/Soloviev's twizzles undermarked. They're jumping (performing dance jump) right on the edges into the twizzles, which is much more difficult than to add third set of twizzles with 3 rotation after balancing steps. But oh well. The rules are rules.

And yes, that Birds program was so over the top... But it was VERY challenging technically. Very.

Oooh yer gonna get such a smack! (Just kidding--I'm laughing too. I may be getting older but I'm still young enough to run you down! And don't you ferget it! :))

The first camera angle made the H/D twizzles look like pirouettes. Which should tell you that seeing isn't always believing. The Shibs have the best twiz in the biz, so to speak.