2015 NHK Pairs Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Pairs Short Program

Sackie

Medalist
But if the top 3 after the short stay in the top 3 in any order doesn't that mean S/B will be team # 7 and will therefore go to the Final since they were at TEB.

tulosai

Record Breaker
But if the top 3 after the short stay in the top 3 in any order doesn't that mean S/B will be team # 7 and will therefore go to the Final since they were at TEB.

In short: no. If Morgan and Cipres raise to 4th they knock them out since they'll beat them on first tiebreaker. There are also ways the top 3 could fall that would push S/B to 8th (since they're currently in 4th). Too tired to figure out specifically ow, but basically, no, they are not locked if the podium currently remains the podium.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will admit, that due to the interview on TSL, although I am not a huge pairs fan, I am now a huge Alexa fan. What a breath of fresh air! and I love her face and her presentation in this skate. I know next to nothing about Metallica, but I think I get them through her skate. Plus that has to be one of the best catsuit costumes I have seen (Ladies' catsuits can go wrong, and this does not.)

So, not knowing much about pairs, but deciding I should at least watch some, I also watched Yu/Jin ....

I don't understand why anyone would think Yu/Jin were obviously superior to Scimeca/Knierem, particularly in PCS. They both, to my mind, communicated the spirit of their program well (although it took me a while to figure out Y/J, I caught on faster with S/K). S/K had really interesting moves into the lifts and the throws, at least to my eye, and has been mentioned before, those elements seemed "bigger" than Y/J. Yu has great flexibility on some of those holds, though, and those holds didn't seem contorted like I have seen with other ladies' skaters. I would call them about equal, with a slight edge to S/K for their power.

Now maybe I'll watch the FP too:laugh2:

skatemouse

On the Ice
Sorry, I should clarify... at Skate America they were leading after having a hand down in the SP (while other teams like W/W and S/B went clean) and here they had a hand down and are in 2nd. I'm not arguing with the judging, the GOE and scoring of the jumps were fine and it's not a judging error.

I'm saying, even with a SBS error, Scimeca/Knierim have still positioned themselves to win silver/gold. I would however argue that they "got away" with getting a personal best PCS score, in spite of not having a clean program (which I really dislike.... judges giving personal best PCS when errors are made and skaters have previously skated cleaner).

I hate when pairs go "clean" and someone thinks they should win:? When they have not even close to the technical content and the artistry of others. Just because you are "clean" does not mean that your points add or should add to more than a team who does a "huge" amount of tech difficulty ie: Pair spin fast and tech Superior or even the fact that a man does lifts ie: steps and I don't have to hold my every breath. OMG they should win! I so appreciate the difficulty that takes for both partners. A team that has upped their artistry, speed, and point value of elements should be very rewarded. It is NOT fair to say hey this other team was "perfect" so they should automatically win???? when the slow speed, a slow pair spin, lower level lift. etc...the guy struggling with lifts, and other things should count against them as much as not being perfect in a SBS????!!!!It is Pairs skating not single skating. It is over simplifying it to say anything else. There is much more to the sport of pairs and it is very old school to look at it that way.

A team that is not doing an awesome pair spin or has the speed and maturity of a senior team should not win either. Skating is not cut and dry to be sure there are politics but I would argue not only S/K but others have brought the sport of pairs to another level . Especially as an AMERICAN PAIR TEAM WOW. and I so admire where they are bringing it. Also appreciate the guts and chutzpah it takes for them to bring it! As others have said they got away with NOTHING. So they have other parts of pair skating that far exceeds others and are given the points accordingly. The International judges are not putting them high because Worlds is in America or because they love them...they have fought for everything they have from what I see even their own federation sometimes over looks them. So more power to them! and to the others pushing the sport of pairs.

They are still a new pair too as I think it is only their 4th year together?? I hope all pairs keep pushing the pair elements and make that the deciding factor in pair skating as a whole and not just ONE element especially a single element like a SBS jump or spin.

Just my opinion and all that said: I would love to note I am thrilled when a team goes "clean" or as "Clean" as they can. IT is exciting and I am very happy for them as I am sure that is their goal always and what everyone wants to see it is exciting! I guess that can be relative though!!

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
As sad as this may sound, Pairs is the only event where I have absolutely no clue who people are. Seriously, they could show up on my doorstep and I'd say....Uhhh Can I help You?? If Patrick Chan shows up at my door......He's coming in for some Ice Wine. Okaaaayy! :rock:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As sad as this may sound, Pairs is the only event where I have absolutely no clue who people are. Seriously, they could show up on my doorstep and I'd say....Uhhh Can I help You?? If Patrick Chan shows up at my door......He's coming in for some Ice Wine. Okaaaayy! :rock:

Mrrice, I would hardly call myself a huge fan of Pairs, but I think you would looove Alexa Scimeca. The girl is *sassy*. Try this fluff piece from TSL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfwqI1UmaWk

She tells it like it is. :luv17: