2015 NHK Ladies Free Skate | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Ladies Free Skate

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Alena hasn't delivered in years. Just not a fan. The choreography of this LP is not cute or spunky or fun (as her performances have been called in the past). It's amateurish.

At this point in time... Satoko's skating seems so small---- and yes, much of that is indeed relative to her being so very petite. I'm not being facetious ... is she too far along in her maturation process for a growth spurt?

I know you might get all technical and say it wasn't an LP, but she did deliver a superb (personal best) short program, both technically and performance-wise, at NHK just last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQa-LpIID0

She did enough in the FS too (including a textbook 3-3) to win silver overall, well ahead of Miyahara.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
A case in figure skating is Dan Zhang from Chinese pair. She was still growing into her early 20s. Now she is a 170cm+ gorg belle.
Yuna also grew 1or 2cm in 2013 season.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some women don’t stop growing until their early twenties, especially if they’re late bloomers.

Doubtful, but if so, it's the exception that proves the rule. Most girls reach their full height by around 13 or when they have their first period. Some may grow an inch or so by age 16, but that is pretty much the outer limit.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A case in figure skating is Dan Zhang from Chinese pair. She was still growing into her early 20s. Now she is a 170cm+ gorg belle.
Yuna also grew 1or 2cm in 2013 season.

When she was 23? I highly doubt that.

hurrah

Medalist
It is not at all unusual for young girls who are training as hard as professional athletes to grow into their mid-20's.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Doubtful, but if so, it's the exception that proves the rule. Most girls reach their full height by around 13 or when they have their first period. Some may grow an inch or so by age 16, but that is pretty much the outer limit.

But they're not your average women, because of all the intense training they do during their growing years puberty or just growing in general is delayed. Plus I know that girls starving themselves in the sport to stay small is not all that uncommon, they could develop better nutrition or eating habits later on when they think they're clear of the puberty monster.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is not at all unusual for young girls who are training as hard as professional athletes to grow into their mid-20's.

The growth spurt happens around the same time as the first period and is usually complete within 2-3 years, but more often earlier. Girls growing taller in their mid-20s is essentially unheard of--one study says the chance is .001%. And the chance of Satoko growing taller at 18 is virtually nil.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yuna is visibly taller than Mao at 2013 worlds on both skates and sneakers (Yuna's height is alike an average of Mao and Carolina).
She was about the same height as Mao at 2010.
So she possibly grew 2-3 cm from 2010~2013 period, it was discussed back then among Yuna fans.

Franklin99

Medalist
Yuna is visibly taller than Mao at 2013 worlds on both skates and sneakers (Yuna's height is alike an average of Mao and Carolina).
She was about the same height as Mao at 2010.
So she possibly grew 2-3 cm from 2010~2013 period, it was discussed back then among Yuna fans.

Yuna was actually taller than Mao in 2010, and it is visible in photos at 2010 World. She's been taller than Mao since 2008. Since then, it was never her height that changed, but it can sometimes appear so due the angle of the camera.

2008 GPF and 2010 World:

Scroll down to poloska's post for proof
http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4653&st=820

Last edited:

petitebrie

On the Ice
I believe most girls stop growing approximately two years after menarche, but there are individual differences. I grew three cm between 18 and 21, and I was only slightly taller than Satoko. Perhaps it’s more common in very petite women, but as was said above, young athletes are more prone to delayed puberty because of a lower body fat percentage. This could in turn affect when the growth plates in the bones close.