2015 NHK Mens Short Program | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Mens Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Everybody is talking like hanyu is really way 'older' than 'young' skaters like shoma and Jin.

But he is really just in his very early 20s. Like he said before, they are of "the same generation" (kind of).

Kind of shocked (though I know he is just 20)

Here's how I'd group them. It's sort of a rough estimate.

So those who grew up as seniors during the 2006-2010 Olympiad: Takahito Kozuka, Patrick Chan, Sergei Voronov, Jeremy Abbott, et. al.

Then those rising seniors during the 2010-2014 Olympiad: Yuzuru, Denis Ten, Florent Amodio, Michel Brezina, Adam Rippon, Takahito Mura. Max Aaron, Jason Brown, Joshua Farris, Han Yan and Maxim Kovtun debuted toward the later end of that Olympiad.

And now the rising seniors of the 2014-2018 Olympiad: Nam Nguyen, Adien Pitkeev, Alexander Petrov, Boyang Jin and Shoma Uno.

I know I"m missing a bunch of people...but I can see why Yuzuru is considered "older" than Boyang and Shoma.

Last edited:

Jombi

On the Ice
I find it interesting he was only in 5th after the short at Junior Worlds where there were expectations for him.

You have to take into account the fact that in juniors' SP quads aren't allowed. So IMO too many expectations could not be the reason of that 5th place finish.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Does anyone think Hanyu's new sp didn't sell the Chopin piece? Technically he's brilliant, but I just don't feel the connection between his program and the music. All I remember is his jumps. It's really a shame.

The updated choreography isn't made for the music, unfortunately. It's totally focused on delivering quads.

Opening that program with the sandwich spread eagle 3Axel was so perfect. It's too bad he's never delivered a clean program when skating it like that. We'll never get to see that version. :(

It's great that Hanyu just did his strongest technical SP ever, though. Hopefully his SP next season and the Olympic season are able to have more musicality since the quads will already be planned.

gmyers

Record Breaker
More variety and more quads done here than all of Vancouver Olympics it seems. Amazing!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The spins for Yuzu's SP here were the best I've seen ever in terms of hand and arm variations. He's still at one with the music while delivering the quads and 3As.

Whan talking about adding the extra quad Yuzu said, " I told Brian I'm going to do it. And I did it."
:agree:
Here's an interesting thing to think about: What causes splatfests? or rather, What will cause more super competitions with few splats?
We have seen that the guys CAN go for the quads without falling all over the place, but it's not happening enough.
Is it the atmosphere? A well organized event? Good ice? Japan? I want more non-splat events. Please and thank you! :biggrin:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
The spins for Yuzu's SP here were the best I've seen ever in terms of hand and arm variations. He's still at one with the music while delivering the quads and 3As.

Whan talking about adding the extra quad Yuzu said, " I told Brian I'm going to do it. And I did it."
:agree:
Here's an interesting thing to think about: What causes splatfests? or rather, What will cause more super competitions with few splats?
We have seen that the guys CAN go for the quads without falling all over the place, but it's not happening enough.
Is it the atmosphere? A well organized event? Good ice? Japan? I want more non-splat events. Please and thank you! :biggrin:

Well, those things didn't help the ladies...

But I agree with you, and wish to see more events like this one - and now we have this to point to and say; "Hey, look - it is possible!"

Interspectator

Record Breaker
From the press Conference on the subject of the necessity of 2 quads in the SP
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/11/27/158301258
Hanyu was asked if he thought that trying two quads in the short was going to become the norm rather than the exception.

"Not everyone can do two quads in the short program, and that is due to their style of skating," Hanyu said. "If someone has one quad with good spins and good steps, like Takahito, I think he still can be very competitive. I was able to score over 100 when I only did one quad."

Mura agreed.

He said, "A skater like Jason Brown didn't do quad, but he had good component marks and earned high GOE (Grade of Execution) with his good quality triple jumps. I agree with Hanyu, that it will depend on a skater's style."

andromache

Record Breaker
From the press Conference on the subject of the necessity of 2 quads in the SP
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/11/27/158301258

It's nice to see how complimentary Hanyu is to his teammate Mura for NOT doing two quads and still having nice parts of his skating, and to Jason too! (Couldn't tell from the quote if Hanyu or Mura complimented Jason, but either way, still nice!)

It's great to see the quad squad appreciative of skating aside from the quads and respectful towards the other elements their competitors do well. Very classy.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's nice to see how complimentary Hanyu is to his teammate Mura for NOT doing two quads and still having nice parts of his skating, and to Jason too! (Couldn't tell from the quote if Hanyu or Mura complimented Jason, but either way, still nice!)

It's great to see the quad squad appreciative of skating aside from the quads and respectful towards the other elements their competitors do well. Very classy.

Yuzu mentioned Mura, Mura mentioned Jason. I agree. Very classy.

And elsewhere in the press conference, Yuzu thanked Jin and said 'I'm studying him' in reference to his quads, and Jin thanked Yuzu for the compliment.

Irrelephant

Rinkside
Does anyone think Hanyu's new sp didn't sell the Chopin piece? Technically he's brilliant, but I just don't feel the connection between his program and the music. All I remember is his jumps. It's really a shame.

Yes! I still support him with all my heart, honestly! However, I prefer his previous Chopin program.

Irrelephant

Rinkside
The updated choreography isn't made for the music, unfortunately. It's totally focused on delivering quads.

Opening that program with the sandwich spread eagle 3Axel was so perfect. It's too bad he's never delivered a clean program when skating it like that. We'll never get to see that version. :(

It's great that Hanyu just did his strongest technical SP ever, though. Hopefully his SP next season and the Olympic season are able to have more musicality since the quads will already be planned.

I couldn't agree more.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I prefer the old Chopin but this one has some goodies too, like the Ina Bauer-counter turn-3A.