"Costume incidents" - support available! | Golden Skate

"Costume incidents" - support available!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
From the FAQ on the Grand Prix Final website:

"How can I contact the costumer service?"
To resolve incidents and send us your questions, you can send an email to [email protected]"

:-D

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
..... you have no idea how badly I now want a GPF costume!!!
how about matching outfits? :hap85: You think we can order a GS uniform?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
From the FAQ on the Grand Prix Final website:

"How can I contact the costumer service?"
To resolve incidents and send us your questions, you can send an email to [email protected]"

:-D

:laugh:

Oh, I can think of a certain Ice Dancer who could have done with that e-mail address last season, as she was frequently having "Costume incidents" (namely flashing her nipple).

But, unfortunately she won't be able to avail of this service, as she and her partner haven't qualified for the GP Final. :disapp: And anyway, she has (thankfully) changed her dress this season. :agree:

So, who else would need costume support?

I would have said Liza for her SP costume, but she hasn't qualified either.

Oh, yes! How could I forget?!

Yuzuru!!!

CaroLiza_fan

desertskates

Medalist
This sounds like an ad for some kind of bra that a lady can wear under her dress... support available!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Which ice dancer?

Come on, you don't honestly expect me to name her publically, do you?! :eek:

I've discussed this a few times on the forum since it first happened, but I haven't mentioned her name once. I want to protect the poor girl's dignity! I don't want everybody running like mad to YouTube to see it! :eeking:

It wouldn't be very gentlemanly of me to do that. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Come on, you don't honestly expect me to name her publically, do you?! :eek:

I've discussed this a few times on the forum since it first happened, but I haven't mentioned her name once. I want to protect the poor girl's dignity! I don't want everybody running like mad to YouTube to see it! :eeking:

It wouldn't be very gentlemanly of me to do that. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

I'm mostly teasing you, CL_fan, because you obviously want to tease us.

If you did not want anyone to be curious about her identity, why do you keep bringing up this person as a blind item?

If you really wanted to be a gentleman and protect her dignity, you would stop mentioning her altogether.

[p.s. I myself learned this lesson the hard way after posting an anecdote just one time in one GS thread. It was not an embarrassing anecdote, but I had my reasons for not wanting to give the name of the skater. In hindsight, after receiving some queries in the thread and via PMs, I realized that if I did not want to give the name, I should never have even brought up the anecdote at all (although it was relevant to the discussion in the thread).]

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm mostly teasing you, CL_fan, because you obviously want to tease us.

If you did not want anyone to be curious about her identity, why do you keep bringing up this person as a blind item?

If you really wanted to be a gentleman and protect her dignity, you would stop mentioning her altogether.

[p.s. I myself learned this lesson the hard way after posting an anecdote just one time in one GS thread. It was not an embarrassing anecdote, but I had my reasons for not wanting to give the name of the skater. In hindsight, after receiving some queries in the thread and via PMs, I realized that if I did not want to give the name, I should never have even brought up the anecdote at all (although it was relevant to the discussion in the thread).]

Good point. I hadn't actually thought of it like that.

Maybe I am too naive, but I thought that people would not want to know who it was. That they would just feel too sorry for her that it happened.

And the fact that nobody actually asked who it was until today seemed to back up my way of thinking.

I was trying to add another funny anecdote to what is a humerous thread. But, instead, I ended up realising just how naive I am.

Don't worry, I won't be bringing it up ever again.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Ok, this is a women's topic right, because I do not understand a word. :scratch2: Support, äh - what are you ladies supporting, we are still talking about something a man does not need to know, right? :eeking: sorry I am so bad at styling and such things and maybe there are things I better not know, don´t blow my bubble of all the ladies being pretty :noshake:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Good point. I hadn't actually thought of it like that.

Maybe I am too naive, but I thought that people would not want to know who it was. That they would just feel too sorry for her that it happened.

And the fact that nobody actually asked who it was until today seemed to back up my way of thinking.

I was trying to add another funny anecdote to what is a humerous thread. But, instead, I ended up realising just how naive I am.

Don't worry, I won't be bringing it up ever again.

CaroLiza_fan

Not all of us would find it embarrassing or only be interested for salacious reason. To be honest the most likely reason i would have to check something like this out was to see if the person telling the tale was either wrong or exaggerated, not lying, just maybe some fabric looked weird - i doubt you would be upset to find out it was not a nip slip. I also might like to try to troubleshoot how it happened and how it could be corrected. I guess i just see it as a part of life that not one should be embarrassed by, no one should hold it against anyone, but still we should try to learn from it and move on. Honestly if a costume maker decided to blather on Youtube for an hour about how to make figure skating costumes that avoid nip slips, id likely watch it and enjoy it, and I think many others would as well. Costumes are a part of skating, costume malfunctions are a part of costumes. There is a G/G skate where the music stopped because something on his skate was loose. You bet i looked it up and looked at the skate. Even had the music not stopped, if i heard about a skate with a thingy dangling off a boot... i would look for the thingy. I just don't see nip slips as that different than dangling boot thingies.

Maybe this is because i have female family members that think acting like there is something (think crumbs) on other women's breasts so she can causally brush it away and "accidentally" expose the breasts is great fun.... this was seen normal (for my very un-normal family) in my family and not something to be embarrassed by - and yes they did this in public. So I guess when deliberate nip slips are a normal part of family dinner.... you just don't see why it is that big a deal to talk about. Heck, I have pictures of my grandmother in her late 70s flashing the camera (wearing a bra... but how many 70+ year old women would even do that) on her last trip to Vegas.

It honestly seems strange to me how many people seem to think it is something that is on par with a pet dying. In my mind it is about the same level of embarrassment as tripping... and if you catch me tripping on camera in a funny way, you bet i want to see it and laugh at myself! I can't help but think skaters are a bit thicker skinned than to care about this... i would honestly think this is pretty boring at this point to most skaters.

Anyway, I don't think less of you for not wanting to share the name, but i don't think less of those that asked - it is human. And sadly there are people who like attention and would be fishing to be pressed for answers too. You want to be kind to skaters, good for you. I just don't think they are as delicate as you seem to treat them, you can relax a little bit i promise. Frankly I think this board is mature enough that we could discuss things like nip slips from a costuming construction/logistical stand point in a manner that would be respectful, interesting, but also might help some people learn to make costumes better to know what to look for in costumes better. I am not saying that we should start a nip slip thread, but if a nips slip happens, i wish we could discuss to some extent. At least that type of costume and how/way the slip happened in a way that does not feel like we are walking on egg shells. I bet there are a lot of people on here that have had nip slips... and have tips on how to avoid them that could help young skaters if they are so inclined.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
StitchMonkey - I am not going to quote your comment because of it's length. But what a very interesting post! :clap: :rock: :points:

It is always fascinating to hear different perspectives on the same subject. Especially a subject like this one, where people can have VERY different views.

You make a very good point about studying incidents being a way of finding out how costumes work, and how to prevent similar incidents happening. And this actually was relevant, as in the case I was talking about, the nip slip occurred on the same move every time the programme was performed.

So, studying it would enable other skaters to find out that if they want to do that move, they shouldn't wear that shape of a dress.

I would never have thought that discussing it could have benefits.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them!

CaroLiza_fan