2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Have you tried going back to the 2010 season and comparing what you actually see on the ice. Overall the field is way better now (especially overall) and TBH the skating of the top level skaters has improved and is way more complex. Back then you could execute much simpler choreography and score some pretty ridiculous PCS scores. I myself don't buy into the inflation drama that keeps popping up in thread after thread. The skating is much more precise and is delivered on a more difficult level than even just a few years back.

I disagree. I think current skaters somehow fall short on the basics especially holding the edges. We rarely see quality deep edges right now in the ladies and most programs of top skaters are too cramped with movements that, for me, doesn't make the program look polished. They just make the program look busy for higher scores. Idk. Instead of focusing on the highlights and moving with the highs and lows of the music, there's much disconnect that we can see in a lot of lady skaters. Who among the ladies right now have quality deep edges like Yuna or Carolina? Even in their younger years, they have this flow on the ice that I don't see in most top skaters right now. I believe the reason for the scores right now is that the current top ladies have the technical goods (maybe not in quality, but they have the quantity). But what I find disturbing is they are also being rewarded on the other side of the scoring when they clearly aren't polished yet. Tell me, in what universe does Evgenia or Ashley's skating skills on the high 9s? Almost perfect? Are they almost perfect?

If you think that FS is evolving and that's the reason for the seriously inflated scores, I have to disagree. It's evolution is towards the technical side but there are two parts of the scoring system. Why should they be rewarded in both when they only have executed one well? It's somehow not a matter of taste anymore. It's a question of technique, execution, and mastery. And with those, come the programs that are balance and nuanced.

Edit: I do support, appreciate and admire the skaters. It's the scoring I find befuddling and at times, unacceptable.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Agree. Such a brave performance after that fall. Kostner's silver was controversial but not Mao's gold.

Not really. However, as you're off from the main topic regarding the GPF ladies' FS, I'm not gonna comment about it further.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not really. However, as you're off from the main topic regarding the GPF ladies' FS, I'm not gonna comment about it further.

The topic drifted well before my post. "Not really" doesn't add or prove anything so what's the point?

gnom

On the Ice
For me the performance of the ladies Free was Ashley's program because of her presence on the ice. Really enjoyed it. Satoko's skate was equally appealing. She is so quiet on the ice. So polished. Adore her spinning in both directions.
Yes, Evgenia's win was surely deserved but TBO her skating leaves me quite cold. Ok, her jumps and her speed are impressive but the rest is not yet polished. And I really hope that the ISU limits the number of tano jumps. It is soooo boring to have it numerous times in one program. I do not get Evgenia's PCS, especially skating skills if I compare it to e.g. Carolina Kostners skating skill scores. That was real SKATING to me. Still miss her.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
For me the performance of the ladies Free was Ashley's program because of her presence on the ice. Really enjoyed it. Satoko's skate was equally appealing. She is so quiet on the ice. So polished. Adore her spinning in both directions.
Yes, Evgenia's win was surely deserved but TBO her skating leaves me quite cold. Ok, her jumps and her speed are impressive but the rest is not yet polished. And I really hope that the ISU limits the number of tano jumps. It is soooo boring to have it numerous times in one program. I do not get Evgenia's PCS, especially skating skills if I compare it to e.g. Carolina Kostners skating skill scores. That was real SKATING to me. Still miss her.

That's a little strange, because to me Medvedeva's strength is everything -but- the jumps.

mustafakent

On the Ice
I disagree. I think current skaters somehow fall short on the basics especially holding the edges. We rarely see quality deep edges right now in the ladies and most programs of top skaters are too cramped with movements that, for me, doesn't make the program look polished. They just make the program look busy for higher scores. Idk. Instead of focusing on the highlights and moving with the highs and lows of the music, there's much disconnect that we can see in a lot of lady skaters. Who among the ladies right now have quality deep edges like Yuna or Carolina? Even in their younger years, they have this flow on the ice that I don't see in most top skaters right now. I believe the reason for the scores right now is that the current top ladies have the technical goods (maybe not in quality, but they have the quantity). But what I find disturbing is they are also being rewarded on the other side of the scoring when they clearly aren't polished yet. Tell me, in what universe does Evgenia or Ashley's skating skills on the high 9s? Almost perfect? Are they almost perfect?

If you think that FS is evolving and that's the reason for the seriously inflated scores, I have to disagree. It's evolution is towards the technical side but there are two parts of the scoring system. Why should they be rewarded in both when they only have executed one well? It's somehow not a matter of taste anymore. It's a question of technique, execution, and mastery. And with those, come the programs that are balance and nuanced.

Edit: I do support, appreciate and admire the skaters. It's the scoring I find befuddling and at times, unacceptable.

I think when judges like a program, they evaluate the program as a whole thing, not by the presentation segments.If a judge likes a skater's program and the skater skates it flawlessly, the judge is tend to give 8s/9s/10 on every segment, which is a misuse of the system for me.Skaters should get 9s for performance, interpretation and 6s for transition at the same time, if this is what they deserve.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Agree, Maos skating is so special and has a unique quality and I'd rather watch her mistake-ridden performances than any of the other ladies clean ones now. Judges are weird with her. Bomb Mao PCS = 68, but clean, fantastic Mao PCS = still only 69? Wth is up with that? Yet skaters right out of juniors seem to get 70+ easily on their first go.

miki88

Medalist
It didn't really affect the program that much. It was a bit of a shock at the beginning, but by the end of the program, I think most forgot she fell, honestly.

YMMV, always.

I agree. But can't convince someone who has a strong bias against the skater in the first place.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Agree, Maos skating is so special and has a unique quality and I'd rather watch her mistake-ridden performances than any of the other ladies clean ones now. Judges are weird with her. Bomb Mao PCS = 68, but clean, fantastic Mao PCS = still only 69? Wth is up with that? Yet skaters right out of juniors seem to get 70+ easily on their first go.

So the problem is that she is new to senior field?:unsure: I rewatched Yuna's performance from 2010 and wouldn't say that her pcs in a league of her own. Before the splash of talent - maybe. Now? Hell no.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
So the problem is that she is new to senior field?:unsure: I rewatched Yuna's performance from 2010 and wouldn't say that her pcs in a league of her own. Before the splash of talent - maybe. Now? Hell no.

The skating skills component should be lower, the choreography component should be lower, and the interpretation component should be lower. That's three of five components. I assume you can do arithmetic to figure out the rest...

ordinary person

On the Ice
LOL - have to agree with German Eurosport about the tights! Medvedev's a beautiful skater, gorgeous dress -- and then she wears those hideous, orange tinged tights half over her boots completely spoiling the image.

I'm not sure where you see oranged tinged tights because all i saw was just a pair of the same old obscene trashy flesh-colored tights.