2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Why do we even have the scoring "system" and world records now if judges are handing the scores out like candies on Halloween? It kinda takes away the excitement for me.
Seriously, a 9.25/9.5 on SS? It's like they're saying this is as good as it gets when in fact, there's so much more to improve. :scratch2:

slider11

Medalist
gotta agree with the eyebrows. leave the markers at home
Yes, it's appropriate for Satine, but she wears the same makeup for most of her programs. It's her personal style- the woman loves a strong lip and a smokey eye.

Gracie's eyebrows... have good and bad days. Today was a bad day.

3dsushi

On the Ice
Medvedeva She is no doubt the best in the world today. Almost unbeatable and I don't think anybody can beat her. She is the overwhelming favorite to win the worlds next year. Her choreography and step sequence is just superb and jumps are huge.

Miyahara I'm so Excited for her. It's one of those days where you can bet your life that she's not gonna fall. She's extremely consistent. And finally the judges broke the ice and scored her fairly but the PCS suppose to be higher than that.

Radionova She has the ability and the talent to be the worlds best, but right now all I can see is just potential. And just like last year another russian beat her.

Wagner Good comeback and very strong performance. But still her weakest is the jumps.

Gold Well her mind is on another place I suppose. Her first GPF, she might felt a little bit of pressure. Again her firebird is very grand and powerful.
Hope she comeback strong at nationals.

Asada I dunno what to say, just not her night but I'm pretty sure she will be back srong and challenge herself again.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
It wasn't until this or last season that I realised the problem of the current scoring system. In the past, the 6.0 system, the result consists of the technical and the presentation where each contributes exactly half of the result.

But this scoring system now, the score is, imo, inclined to the technical side. Similar to the 6.0, TES represents the technical side and PCS should reflect the presentation / artistry side. BUT, out of the 5 categories of the PCS, the skating skills, transition are reflecting the technical side of the skating. While the rest, performance, chores and interpretation are the only determinants on the presentation and artistry. SO, in other words, the technical abilities contribute 70% to the total score and only 30% of the score is reflecting the artistry. Thats why technical experts are doing so good, where those performers are often pressed down, the most famous case I think is Daisuke Takahashi.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
What kind of crack are the judges on anyway. How in the world did helicopter arms Medvedeva and Ashley Wagner the eternally ditzy night club dancer get those kinds of PCS scores. Absolutely insane components scores.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Mao in last place?! what happened?! And a russian "kid" again wins? ok bye! I'm done following this sport! Just wake me up when Mao miraculously wins her fourth world title. She's the only reason I still suck up to this idiocy.

begin

Medalist
Well, there practically always is. So logic would say that they'd have otherwise given her even more... Unless she's an exception and they already are at her actual PCS. It's all relative. Maybe she would have received 73 otherwise? I think that it's logical to assume it's for her how it's always been in the past.

Yuna/Mao were an exception when they hit the senior ranks and so is Evgenia. Judges go wild when they think they see the future in a young skater. Problem is they're building on an existing inflation in a much more even field so the scores here are absurd relative to what was happening in 2005/2006.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mao in last place?! what happened?! And a russian "kid" again wins? ok bye! I'm done following this sport! Just wake me up when Mao miraculously wins her fourth world title. She's the only reason I still suck up to this idiocy.

Oh Honey.....You'd be shocked at how many times I've heard those words from the Parents of my Students. "This is the LAST time I get up at the crack of dawn to drive my daughter to the middle of nowhere to come home with NOTHING!!! That's It!!! I Quit!!. Moa will be back....I have a good feeling that you will be watching to witness her next triumph. Don't lose heart....My Favorite Patrick is in Last as Last place can get right now.....Think about my other fav Leonova and smile. :ghug:

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

It's not a fantasy skating competition. Play Sims or something..:rolleye:

Lipea

Final Flight

Not watching the competition and making such decisions means you follow not this sport but the success of Mao personally. Then you are Mao-fan, not a figure skating fan. So, in this case, there is no point in saying "bye" to something you don't even care about and call "idiocy". The figure skating should be filled with people who respect the sport and athlethic achievement instead of fanatics of certain personalities.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Maybe you should look at what actually happened in the competition before you start being so outraged at this idiocy.

Vili67

On the Ice

Have not seen yet Elena's and Evgenia's FS.
But with Mao's skate today she did not deserve to get on podium (and that i really hope to happen)
Tears we see before points shows that she know herself that points will not be enough for podium.
With this i try to say that there is so meny talent young skaters today Elena,Julia,Satoko etc.
But Mao's presentation point's are still so good and that shows that she is no longer young lady.
Still i keep my thumbs up for Mao and i'm very glad she did make comeback:yes2:

karlowens2

On the Ice
A very good night of skating.

Ashley - I am amazed at how much she has improved since this competition last year. Even last night I was thinking how much the quality of what she does has improved since Olys. Would have been on podium but dug herself in too deep with short.
Gracie - Learning how to compete. Probably disappointing for her but she fought through. All those steps outs, hands down, etc. Not enough speed? Proud she came back with 3S-2L-2T
Mao - well, ... Look for her to roar back for Worlds
Rado - overscored here for PCS. I guess she's so busy all the time - that's why they score that way?
Med - I don't like young girl skaters. They just look so unfinished. But when you can pop out 3s and 3-3's like its nothing you cannot be denied. (She could use a little humility - whiff of hubris in her celebrating tonight) (Just saw her PCS score - just don't make sence)
Myahara - She skated solidly and clean but I just don't relate to it for some reason.

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao had some problems in her LP. I am not denying that. I don't want to make excuses; it was a bit sad. But, I am not the only one who thought she looked ill a lot like she did in the NHK trophy LP. She was also breathing heavily and perspiring a lot at the end and she appeared pale with dark circles under her eyes. She had dark circles under her eyes in the SP as well. It is strange to me that so many just overlook this as if it irrelevant to performance level. I think she is still recovering from an illness and lacked the mental and physical strength to deliver both a solid SP and LP. Coach Sato himself said he only had half expectations coming into this competition and that Mao was suffering from fatigue and the inconvenient results of it. Mao herself said that the consistency of her runthroughs was not good enough yet to give her the confidence she needed, so I think it is a combination of factors. I's good to see that she got the triple lutz ratified. She did a good job battling through to the end, and there was still great beauty in the performance, but she seemed to be a bit tired and weak. It probably would have been better for Mao to have practiced the first half of the season and not compete, but she had to in order to qualify for Nationals and then the illness at NHK added another difficulty for her to overcome. I believe Mao will bounce back. She just needs time to recover, get healthy and do more runthroughs to gain more consistency and confidence.

Many great world and Olympic champions like Midori Ito, Katarina Witt and Miki Ando had a lot of difficulty with comebacks. But, Mao has delivered two excellent performances in the Japan Open Freeskate and the Cup of China SP and a really good performance in the SP at the Grand Prix Final except for the triple lutz, so I think she will still deliver more great performances. I think it is honorable that Mao has made an effort to come back and risk her reputation in this way when so many others champions have had great difficulties. I will support her through the challenges she faces and she will always be a great and inspirational champion to me. I will always love your skating, Mao!

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to LOL at Elena on the podium, the girl knows how to pose. I think she's a bit pissed that Evgenia won so she has to show her how to pose with her medal.