2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

temadd

Final Flight
We all have our own preferences and there is nothing to be ashamed about if you don't connect with a skater. It's the moment when people start to diss a skater they dislike when things get ugly. I totally agree with the placement here, but still think the scores are incredibly inflated. Maybe the judges went overboard because the men were delivering on such a high level? And concerning Satoko, for me she just simply lacks that special something that makes a skater engaging, that makes her interesting to me. I mean, she leaves no impression. She's constantly....good. Not a headcase, but not exactly awe-inspiring either. People probably disagree, but I'd rather watch a flawed Rika Hongo or even Kanako. Oh, Kanako...*sniff*

Yes I'd rather watch Ashley 2 foot and under rotate, or watch Mao fall on her 3 axel or Rika Hongo with her poor posture or even Radionova with her terribly cheesy music.

Yes I'd rather watch Ashley 2 foot and under rotate, or watch Mao fall on her 3 axel or Rika Hongo with her poor posture or even Radionova with her terribly cheesy music.

You don't have to choose, you can have it all! Ashley 2-footing, Mao falling, Rika's carriage, Radionova's music, AND Satoko's lack of something special. :yes:

MiRé

Match Penalty
One thing for sure, Evgenia and her team surely knows how to play CoP game. I don't know if I like her program yet, but she deserved to be a winner here. Her PCS is questionable......but she was a clear winner so it didn't really matter.

Enidan

On the Ice
While admitting that Mao has had consistency issues like most skaters do, though only a handful have ever won Worlds 3 times like Mao, I think the "notoriously inconsistent" comment is a little insensitive and irrelevant to the post you quoted since it primarily addresses her prolonged illness. The flip side: whether a skater is inconsistent or not, I don't think they should be expected to perform great when they are ill..

Mao is 2 times world champion, not 3 times world champion. :rolleye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NjUBWuQBvw&spfreload=10

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Mao has the stomach flu, which explains her lack of competitive strength during NHK/GPF.

If that is true, it means that she exposed other passengers to the nasty virus during the flights, which is very irresponsible. She should have withdrawn GPF.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, referencing BESP for anything factual may not be too reliable :laugh: (I do love their commentary though!)

We have a "how to pronounce skater's names thread" right. Maybe we should have a "how NOT to pronounce skater's names" thread featuring Euro Bros. :laugh:

hurrah

Medalist
Now that we know Mao was really sick, and if it was anything like how Alex Shibutani described his own stomach flu, then it's kind of amazing that Mao did as well as she did.

Knowing this, I think that the outlook of Mao's near-future competitiveness is fairly bright. The only problem is that she only has 10 days to recover for Nationals, and that might not be enough time for her to get back into shape. I hope she'll just go for an easier layout at Nationls just so she can secure a spot for Worlds.

And people, let's just drink this in. She got her lutz ratified for the first time here!!! :yes2: Here is a skater who, in her whole entire 10-year career, had never had a 'real' ratified, until at GPF this time!! That's amazing!! And she was sick when this happened, which makes it even more incredible.

Her salchow has been stable for a very long time now, and her triple-axel is better than ever, so we just now have to wait for the lutz to stabilize. The future is really bright! :party2:

OniBan

Final Flight
I have to ask with the word being tossed around so much in recent posts
What exactly is a 'pre-rotation'?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to ask with the word being tossed around so much in recent posts
What exactly is a 'pre-rotation'?
Turning an obscene amount on the ice...like 180 degrees before going airborn.

Everyone does it but some REALLY do it. I personally don't mind a body pre-rotation as long as the feet are reasonable. It's pre-rotation and under rotation on landing that makes me grit my teeth. :gaah:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
We have a "how to pronounce skater's names thread" right. Maybe we should have a "how NOT to pronounce skater's names" thread featuring Euro Bros. :laugh:

I can name countless times BESP just butchered skaters names :laugh: I remember Yu-ZU-REE Hanyu. As well as pronouncing "Jin" as "Yin" (For both Boyang and Yu/Jin). That thread would be pretty funny

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I can name countless times BESP just butchered skaters names :laugh: I remember Yu-ZU-REE Hanyu. As well as pronouncing "Jin" as "Yin" (For both Boyang and Yu/Jin). That thread would be pretty funny

"Evgenia Med-vee-a-DAY-va"

Just. Stop. :gaah:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
We all have our own preferences and there is nothing to be ashamed about if you don't connect with a skater. It's the moment when people start to diss a skater they dislike when things get ugly.I totally agree with the placement here, but still think the scores are incredibly inflated. Maybe the judges went overboard because the men were delivering on such a high level?

About 15 ~ 20 points are inflated since Sochi. :laugh2: This ongoing insanity makes the sport beyond ridiculous. The current judging system is obviously failing.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Turning an obscene amount on the ice...like 180 degrees before going airborn.

Everyone does it but some REALLY do it. I personally don't mind a body pre-rotation as long as the feet are reasonable. It's pre-rotation and under rotation on landing that makes me grit my teeth. :gaah:

As harsh or unfair as I find some criticism that coaches/commentators occasionally make about other skaters in order to politick for their own skaters, I wish Mishin or TAT or someone else Russian or American (though I think most Americans are too polite to do it) would do the good work for their ladies and throw some shade on Satoko's pre-rotations to get others paying attention.

I don't mean to be rude toward Satoko--she's a sweet girl with nice qualities, but why should skaters like Mao and Ashley work so hard to fix their UR problems when Satoko's go unpenalized? It's just a matter of fairness, IMO.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About 15 ~ 20 points are inflated since Sochi. :laugh2: This ongoing insanity makes the sport beyond ridiculous. The current judging system is obviously failing.

Have you tried going back to the 2010 season and comparing what you actually see on the ice. Overall the field is way better now (especially overall) and TBH the skating of the top level skaters has improved and is way more complex. Back then you could execute much simpler choreography and score some pretty ridiculous PCS scores. I myself don't buy into the inflation drama that keeps popping up in thread after thread. The skating is much more precise and is delivered on a more difficult level than even just a few years back.

I spent the whole day making notes and watching some of the top performances from 2010-12 and TBH it seemed like much more basic skating was just executed a little better. I'm aware that flirting with shoulder dips might send some people to the moon but let's not forget the others that follow the sport and also value complex use of the body that tends to defy previously held notions of what figure skating can be.

This shouldn't be a sport that caters to just one mindset and I wish more than anything it could move to one that accepts graciously those who do things that are worthy of points....even if it isn't to personal preferences.

Ladies Figure Skating in 2015 as a whole is > than ladies figure skating in 2010 in my less than humble opinion. I am obviously a Julia uber and think her best performance was at euros 2013....I see scores surpassing it that I don't think are anywhere near on the same level but so what....its just a score. Some moments just aren't measured in points. YMMV.

Teal Dear; I honestly think the judges are better at keeping up with what's difficult, complex, and even beautiful much better than nostalgic fans who can't let go of previous idoltry:drama:

Last edited:

OniBan

Final Flight
As harsh or unfair as I find some criticism that coaches/commentators occasionally make about other skaters in order to politick for their own skaters, I wish Mishin or TAT or someone else Russian or American (though I think most Americans are too polite to do it) would do the good work for their ladies and throw some shade on Satoko's pre-rotations to get others paying attention.

I don't mean to be rude toward Satoko--she's a sweet girl with nice qualities, but why should skaters like Mao and Ashley work so hard to fix their UR problems when Satoko's go unpenalized? It's just a matter of fairness, IMO.

this is where I'd say the judges and tech callers who have been on the job watching and scrutinizing skaters for years would probably know more than we who sit in front of our computers

(am really starting to think all these shade towards Satoko is tinged with 'mean girl' vibes tbh. from 'she's nothing special' to myriads of other things. It's a bit disturbing, tbh)