Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243
Results 841 to 852 of 852

Thread: 2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

  1. #841
    The Last One Degree jenm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,026

    14 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Have you tried going back to the 2010 season and comparing what you actually see on the ice. Overall the field is way better now (especially overall) and TBH the skating of the top level skaters has improved and is way more complex. Back then you could execute much simpler choreography and score some pretty ridiculous PCS scores. I myself don't buy into the inflation drama that keeps popping up in thread after thread. The skating is much more precise and is delivered on a more difficult level than even just a few years back.
    I disagree. I think current skaters somehow fall short on the basics especially holding the edges. We rarely see quality deep edges right now in the ladies and most programs of top skaters are too cramped with movements that, for me, doesn't make the program look polished. They just make the program look busy for higher scores. Idk. Instead of focusing on the highlights and moving with the highs and lows of the music, there's much disconnect that we can see in a lot of lady skaters. Who among the ladies right now have quality deep edges like Yuna or Carolina? Even in their younger years, they have this flow on the ice that I don't see in most top skaters right now. I believe the reason for the scores right now is that the current top ladies have the technical goods (maybe not in quality, but they have the quantity). But what I find disturbing is they are also being rewarded on the other side of the scoring when they clearly aren't polished yet. Tell me, in what universe does Evgenia or Ashley's skating skills on the high 9s? Almost perfect? Are they almost perfect?

    If you think that FS is evolving and that's the reason for the seriously inflated scores, I have to disagree. It's evolution is towards the technical side but there are two parts of the scoring system. Why should they be rewarded in both when they only have executed one well? It's somehow not a matter of taste anymore. It's a question of technique, execution, and mastery. And with those, come the programs that are balance and nuanced.

    Edit: I do support, appreciate and admire the skaters. It's the scoring I find befuddling and at times, unacceptable.
    Last edited by jenm; 12-16-2015 at 01:31 AM.

  2. #842
    All Hail the Queen Crossover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,799

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Agree. Such a brave performance after that fall. Kostner's silver was controversial but not Mao's gold.
    Not really. However, as you're off from the main topic regarding the GPF ladies' FS, I'm not gonna comment about it further.

  3. #843
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,366
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossover View Post
    Not really. However, as you're off from the main topic regarding the GPF ladies' FS, I'm not gonna comment about it further.
    The topic drifted well before my post. "Not really" doesn't add or prove anything so what's the point?

  4. #844
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    131

    3 Not allowed!
    For me the performance of the ladies Free was Ashley's program because of her presence on the ice. Really enjoyed it. Satoko's skate was equally appealing. She is so quiet on the ice. So polished. Adore her spinning in both directions.
    Yes, Evgenia's win was surely deserved but TBO her skating leaves me quite cold. Ok, her jumps and her speed are impressive but the rest is not yet polished. And I really hope that the ISU limits the number of tano jumps. It is soooo boring to have it numerous times in one program. I do not get Evgenia's PCS, especially skating skills if I compare it to e.g. Carolina Kostners skating skill scores. That was real SKATING to me. Still miss her.

  5. #845
    Bona Fide Member Shayuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,580

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnom View Post
    For me the performance of the ladies Free was Ashley's program because of her presence on the ice. Really enjoyed it. Satoko's skate was equally appealing. She is so quiet on the ice. So polished. Adore her spinning in both directions.
    Yes, Evgenia's win was surely deserved but TBO her skating leaves me quite cold. Ok, her jumps and her speed are impressive but the rest is not yet polished. And I really hope that the ISU limits the number of tano jumps. It is soooo boring to have it numerous times in one program. I do not get Evgenia's PCS, especially skating skills if I compare it to e.g. Carolina Kostners skating skill scores. That was real SKATING to me. Still miss her.
    That's a little strange, because to me Medvedeva's strength is everything -but- the jumps.

  6. #846
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    35,520
    Country: United States of America

    5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    2008, 2010, 2014. Three times.
    When you think about it…WOW. Mao joins Peggy Fleming, Kararina Witt and Michelle Kwan as the only ladies since 1960 to win the world championship three times.

  7. #847
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    213

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I disagree. I think current skaters somehow fall short on the basics especially holding the edges. We rarely see quality deep edges right now in the ladies and most programs of top skaters are too cramped with movements that, for me, doesn't make the program look polished. They just make the program look busy for higher scores. Idk. Instead of focusing on the highlights and moving with the highs and lows of the music, there's much disconnect that we can see in a lot of lady skaters. Who among the ladies right now have quality deep edges like Yuna or Carolina? Even in their younger years, they have this flow on the ice that I don't see in most top skaters right now. I believe the reason for the scores right now is that the current top ladies have the technical goods (maybe not in quality, but they have the quantity). But what I find disturbing is they are also being rewarded on the other side of the scoring when they clearly aren't polished yet. Tell me, in what universe does Evgenia or Ashley's skating skills on the high 9s? Almost perfect? Are they almost perfect?

    If you think that FS is evolving and that's the reason for the seriously inflated scores, I have to disagree. It's evolution is towards the technical side but there are two parts of the scoring system. Why should they be rewarded in both when they only have executed one well? It's somehow not a matter of taste anymore. It's a question of technique, execution, and mastery. And with those, come the programs that are balance and nuanced.

    Edit: I do support, appreciate and admire the skaters. It's the scoring I find befuddling and at times, unacceptable.
    I think when judges like a program, they evaluate the program as a whole thing, not by the presentation segments.If a judge likes a skater's program and the skater skates it flawlessly, the judge is tend to give 8s/9s/10 on every segment, which is a misuse of the system for me.Skaters should get 9s for performance, interpretation and 6s for transition at the same time, if this is what they deserve.

  8. #848
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,721

    3 Not allowed!
    Agree, Maos skating is so special and has a unique quality and I'd rather watch her mistake-ridden performances than any of the other ladies clean ones now. Judges are weird with her. Bomb Mao PCS = 68, but clean, fantastic Mao PCS = still only 69? Wth is up with that? Yet skaters right out of juniors seem to get 70+ easily on their first go.

  9. #849
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,471

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    It didn't really affect the program that much. It was a bit of a shock at the beginning, but by the end of the program, I think most forgot she fell, honestly.

    YMMV, always.
    I agree. But can't convince someone who has a strong bias against the skater in the first place.

  10. #850
    Medalist koatcue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    Country: Russia

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXSwagg View Post
    Agree, Maos skating is so special and has a unique quality and I'd rather watch her mistake-ridden performances than any of the other ladies clean ones now. Judges are weird with her. Bomb Mao PCS = 68, but clean, fantastic Mao PCS = still only 69? Wth is up with that? Yet skaters right out of juniors seem to get 70+ easily on their first go.
    So the problem is that she is new to senior field? I rewatched Yuna's performance from 2010 and wouldn't say that her pcs in a league of her own. Before the splash of talent - maybe. Now? Hell no.

  11. #851
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,721

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    So the problem is that she is new to senior field? I rewatched Yuna's performance from 2010 and wouldn't say that her pcs in a league of her own. Before the splash of talent - maybe. Now? Hell no.
    The skating skills component should be lower, the choreography component should be lower, and the interpretation component should be lower. That's three of five components. I assume you can do arithmetic to figure out the rest...

  12. #852
    On the Ice ordinary person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    384

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Diva View Post
    LOL - have to agree with German Eurosport about the tights! Medvedev's a beautiful skater, gorgeous dress -- and then she wears those hideous, orange tinged tights half over her boots completely spoiling the image.
    I'm not sure where you see oranged tinged tights because all i saw was just a pair of the same old obscene trashy flesh-colored tights.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •