2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP

karlowens2

On the Ice
Read several pages here, - well...So many sour grapes here. Yeah, keep believing that Evgenia isn't GREAT. For now, imo, she is one of the best 16-year-olds EVER. And she very well could turn out the best one ever:) She is that good. Her pcs are ok and could get even higher as the season goes.
And those who say that Yulia is done just wait. Her jumps are still there. There is nothing to mock.
And finally, those who think that Satoko should be in 2 after short, be real! Her jumps are URed and super small, her presence isn't that great either:rolleye:

The number of times on this site people have said such and such skater is the next great ONE. In fact every time someone new skates well they become the next great one. I wonder what it is that makes us want crown a king/queen in figure skating. Does the same thing happen in other individual sports? Alpine skiing? Swimming?

As for Med. When I hear very young pianists who have something - a natural technique, the beginnings of a poetic sense - I enjoy it. Only a tiny number of these mature into artists. In the end only the latter are memorable. The Kimmie Meisnners, the Lyps, the Sarah Hughes - a couple good competitions, a year or two and they fade from memory. The Mao's, Kwans and yes, the Ashley's, who year after year rework and comeback, fail and then triumph - this is the inspiration i look to sport for. A one. to time winner by someone too young to even know what they've accomplished - not so intersting.

bara1968

On the Ice
Besides 3F, I enjoyed Gracie's performance the most. The scale of her 3-3 is unmatched among the ladies who competed last night. Her condition looked so good. She has a great skill sets, enough to be a champion indeed. No wonder why PCS was high. I have a good feeling on her tonight- due to this mistake, she may not win a gold here, but I am sure now that her LP will be very good!

---(After watching Gold's FS : ) Alright, pressure got her. It seems that she cannot bear the pressure to skate after someone has a great skate. Also she was really different from yesterday. Everything was stumbling. What is going on? :drama:

And Radio... Oh this girl is a fighter! I do not like her jumps, but it was overall fine performance.. (I cannot say I enjoyed the program though.) I wish all the best to the ladies tonight :)

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
The number of times on this site people have said such and such skater is the next great ONE. In fact every time someone new skates well they become the next great one. I wonder what it is that makes us want crown a king/queen in figure skating. Does the same thing happen in other individual sports? Alpine skiing? Swimming?

As for Med. When I hear very young pianists who have something - a natural technique, the beginnings of a poetic sense - I enjoy it. Only a tiny number of these mature into artists. In the end only the latter are memorable. The Kimmie Meisnners, the Lyps, the Sarah Hughes - a couple good competitions, a year or two and they fade from memory. The Mao's, Kwans and yes, the Ashley's, who year after year rework and comeback, fail and then triumph - this is the inspiration i look to sport for. A one. to time winner by someone too young to even know what they've accomplished - not so intersting.

What I meant is that right now, at this very moment, Medvedeva looks exceptional, better than oh so many skaters you mentioned at her age. I don't know what awaits her, but she is rare.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
The Mao's, Kwans and yes, the Ashley's, who year after year rework and comeback, fail and then triumph - this is the inspiration i look to sport for. A one. to time winner by someone too young to even know what they've accomplished - not so intersting.
You can put the names of these 3 ladies together to show how great and special their skating careers mean to you, but you just ignore the very important fact: that is the huge technical gap and completely different competition intensity in ladies skating between the past and the present. Most posters here are only FS lovers, and we are gathering together only to enjoy the beauty of this sport, not to look for some abstract inspirations. Evgenia looked fabulous in her SP routine in Barcelona, and I don't care whether she can survive puberty and grow into a all-time great in the future, because it should be the skater's concern, not ours.

karlowens2

On the Ice
You can put the names of these 3 ladies together to show how great and special their skating careers mean to you, but you just ignore the very important fact: that is the huge technical gap and completely different competition intensity in ladies skating between the past and the present. Most posters here are only FS lovers, and we are gathering together only to enjoy the beauty of this sport, not to look for some abstract inspirations. Evgenia looked fabulous in her SP routine in Barcelona, and I don't care whether she can survive puberty and grow into a all-time great in the future, because it should be the skater's concern, not ours.

Sorry, but her legs are rarely parallel, knees pointing at different directions, positions not strong and sharp. It' not her fault. At 16 the muscles are just not there for the control, deep edges, extension in all situations. etc - which are the hallmark of great skaters. That may come later but now she looks like what she is - a pre-pubescent, not completely developed athlete. You go into any Ballet Company and you will see young girls with talent beyond their years. But, no one confuses them with prima ballerinas. (putting me down as someone seeking some abstract inspiration is not very nice. Can't you just leave it that we disagree? Getting personal doesn't strengthen your case)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Miyahara pre rotated some of her jumping passes. She pre rotates 1/2 then she rotates in the air with only 2 and 1/2

The Finnish commentator who's supposed to know something about this says that she followed miyahara's jumps throughout the last season and she practically always pre-rotates them but doesn't get called for it.

I feel like it might even be justified if all her jumps were > by default.

Sackie

Medalist
This is Gold's BEST CHANCE to podium at Worlds. The judges are salivating to hand it to her on a platter.
This is so true! All she has to do is go clean and the world title is hers. That is evident by the fact that she had a major error in her short here and still comes out with a score better than a lot of ladies have gotten with a clean skate this season.

Amei

Record Breaker
Lipnitskaia is a good case study that having improper technique will come back to bite you, hard, post-puberty.

I wouldn't call Tukt, Sotnikova, and Pogo "doing just fine", thought Tukt's issues are more related to preparation.

I would hardly call any of those ladies 'flops' - a flop is defined as a total failure or to be completely unsuccessful. Even if they never medal again on the senior circuit (highly unlikely) most all of them have had senior careers that skaters dream about having.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Sorry, but her legs are rarely parallel, knees pointing at different directions, positions not strong and sharp. It' not her fault. At 16 the muscles are just not there for the control, deep edges, extension in all situations. etc - which are the hallmark of great skaters. That may come later but now she looks like what she is - a pre-pubescent, not completely developed athlete. You go into any Ballet Company and you will see young girls with talent beyond their years. But, no one confuses them with prima ballerinas. (putting me down as someone seeking some abstract inspiration is not very nice. Can't you just leave it that we disagree? Getting personal doesn't strengthen your case)
I cannot reply to your comment? :laugh: Yeah, I got it!

leafygreens

Final Flight
I love Ashley and believe in her but that will NOT happen this year. Radionova and Medvedeva will likely claim podium spots and then you have Miyahara/Mao who could also post huge scores. Wagner will have her work cut out to defeat even Gracie.

Well it turns out that Ashley did what I suspected and had an amazing LP. This seems to be when she performs best - when someone tells her she's not good enough or that she can't medal, she becomes amazing. When she is expected to do well, she doesn't.

She only lost a medal by about two points. Last year, Lipnitskaia bombed the FS so Ashley was able to move up to medal. This year, everyone was just too good for her to make up that two points.