2015-16 Grand Prix Final Synchro Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Synchro Free Skate

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The male skater is Lee Chandler, he's the team captain and has been with Nexxice for six seasons. If you watch TSL he's frequently mentioned by Jenny and Dave and I think they've interviewed him a few times.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
That scream of horror from the crowd :drama::laugh:

I really enjoyed this. If I can't have solo ice dance, I'm glad I found synchro. Thank you to everyone who put up with my questions, I will have many more in the future! :thank:

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
It's similar to how the other disciplines are marked, with PCS and TES. Each element (block, wheel, line, intersection, lift, moves in the field, etc) has a base value depending on the level they are going for (senior teams aim for level 4), and then of course there's GOE given for each element which can be +3 to -3, as it is with the other disciplines.

Thanks! I think I see the wheel, the lift, line, intersection (maybe) and of course the falls:palmf:! I can't figure out the block and moves in the field yet!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Good event...but man Canada's Free Skate really fell flat. They skated really cautious as a team.
It looked more like they were trying to get from one element to the next, instead of having a cohesive performance.

Russia on the other hand had great intesnity and they looked determined.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's similar to how the other disciplines are marked, with PCS and TES. Each element (block, wheel, line, intersection, lift, moves in the field, etc) has a base value depending on the level they are going for (senior teams aim for level 4), and then of course there's GOE given for each element which can be +3 to -3, as it is with the other disciplines.

Thanks for answering all our Qs, SarahSynchro :bow:.

I assume that falls can happen even to a very experienced synchro skater? Same as in singles, pairs, ice dance?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think nexxice will be having a bit of a "rebuilding year" this season, as a lot of long-time team members retired after their world championship win in April. Several skaters have moved up from junior this year, so it's really a mix of new skaters and veterans who have to gel together as a team.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I think nexxice will be having a bit of a "rebuilding year" this season, as a lot of long-time team members retired after their world championship win in April. Several skaters have moved up from junior this year, so it's really a mix of new skaters and veterans who have to gel together as a team.

That would explain it.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
:think:

This was my first synchro event to watch, so please forgive a complete noob. So far I have seen nothing that really raises my interest in this branch of skating. It's certainly a matter of taste, the overall style of syncho reminds me of ice dancing, which is my least favourite event of the other four as well. Syncro is obviously technically very demanding, but I feel on the emotional level it falls a bit short. Maybe I am fatally missing out on something important here, but for me it is very much a demonstration of tech skills and precision, but little more.

That being said, the Russians and the Fins were indeed the two teams which impressed me the most. So maybe I am not completely numb on what makes this sport tick. :scratch2:

Never mind.

Edit: If someone can advise me on performances on yt which are considered artistically outstanding, suggestions would be welcome. :)

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
The Rockettes element where the girl was in the center of the spiral was very clever. They really worked hard on the creative elements.

For the person finding it emotionally flat, seeing synchro live feels very different than on a screen. I think cameras are still trying to find the best way to film it. One thing like any skating disciple that you miss on a screen is speed of the skating.

Violetti

On the Ice
The Rockettes element where the girl was in the center of the spiral was very clever. They really worked hard on the creative elements.

For the person finding it emotionally flat, seeing synchro live feels very different than on a screen. I think cameras are still trying to find the best way to film it. One thing like any skating disciple that you miss on a screen is speed of the skating.

In my opinion camera work was not very good for synchro here and that means a lot. Sometimes it was too close. Not well and not enough from the short side.