Tentative Competition/Practice Schedule | Golden Skate

Tentative Competition/Practice Schedule

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks to poster on FSU, here is a tentative competition/practice schedule. It probably will be updated a few times, but it gives a good idea of times, locations for practices. Practices at Pleasant Arena are closed to fans. I'm guessing that the column for Practice on this schedule means Bloomington Ice Garden.

http://www.2016uschampionships.com/...pionships_Color_Matrix_Schedule_Draft_5.0.pdf

A poster at FSU is interpreting the Practice columns on this tentative schedule as being held at Pleasant Arena and closed to fans. I certainly hope the fan is incorrect because that would mean no fans would see any practices except the ones at Xcel.:noshake:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks to poster on FSU, here is a tentative competition/practice schedule. It probably will be updated a few times, but it gives a good idea of times, locations for practices. Practices at Pleasant Arena are closed to fans. I'm guessing that the column for Practice on this schedule means Bloomington Ice Garden.

http://www.2016uschampionships.com/...pionships_Color_Matrix_Schedule_Draft_5.0.pdf

A poster at FSU is interpreting the Practice columns on this tentative schedule as being held at Pleasant Arena and closed to fans. I certainly hope the fan is incorrect because that would mean no fans would see any practices except the ones at Xcel.:noshake:

Yeah, I see what you mean....that would mean that we have one chance to watch the ladies do an official practice in the main arena? Am I seeing that correctly? And yet, if one attempted to watch them elsewheres, one would miss major events in the main arena...so much going on....well, at least I see times where I can go out and find food!!!! Thanks for Posting this.....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If I am correct and the Practice column is at Bloomington Ice Garden, then a all event ticket holder could see more than one practice. To see those practices would entail a rental car, uber (about $75+tip) or a taxi ($100+tip) to attend each practice. Plus, in addition to the cost, a fan would miss quite a bit of actual competitions at Xcel.

If the Practice column is actually for Pleasant Arena no fans (including all event ticket holders) would be admitted. Then, yes we will only be able to see 1 set of practices for all Championship level events. If the skater chooses to practice the FS at that practice, then we won't ever see a practice of the SP.

Since I know I can't sit in the arena for 14 hrs a day, I am also looking at options for meals outside of the arena - weather permitting!

Yeah, I see what you mean....that would mean that we have one chance to watch the ladies do an official practice in the main arena? Am I seeing that correctly? And yet, if one attempted to watch them elsewheres, one would miss major events in the main arena...so much going on....well, at least I see times where I can go out and find food!!!! Thanks for Posting this.....

Last edited:

b-man

Final Flight

Thanks for posting the detailed schedule, that's what I was looking for. I saw some info on the Bloomington venue, but not the Pleasant Arena which i know nothing about. One thing, on the schedule for Tuesday, it shows everything in the Main arena, with nothing at the practice venue. That looks like an ommission/mistake to me, as almost every other day has competitions/ practices at both the main arena and practice arena. And I am primarily interested in senior ladies, who normally have their first practice on Tuesday, with none listed on this schedule for Tues? Anyway, I bought my airline tickets yesterday and will be arriving at the MSP airport around 1PM Tuesday.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As I explained, my thinking is that Practice on the schedule means Bloomington Ice Garden. I don't think Pleasant Arena practices are shown here at all. If I am correct (and I may not be) Tuesday would have all of the practices at Pleasant Arena and not open to fans. If we eventually have access to an update, you may turn out to be correct and a column for Practices will be added for Tuesday.

Thanks for posting the detailed schedule, that's what I was looking for. I saw some info on the Bloomington venue, but not the Pleasant Arena which i know nothing about. One thing, on the schedule for Tuesday, it shows everything in the Main arena, with nothing at the practice venue. That looks like an ommission/mistake to me, as almost every other day has competitions/ practices at both the main arena and practice arena. And I am primarily interested in senior ladies, who normally have their first practice on Tuesday, with none listed on this schedule for Tues? Anyway, I bought my airline tickets yesterday and will be arriving at the MSP airport around 1PM Tuesday.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As I explained, my thinking is that Practice on the schedule means Bloomington Ice Garden. I don't think Pleasant Arena practices are shown here at all. If I am correct (and I may not be) Tuesday would have all of the practices at Pleasant Arena and not open to fans. If we eventually have access to an update, you may turn out to be correct and a column for Practices will be added for Tuesday.

At my advanced years, I will be very content staying in the main arena and not missing the comps, while walking laps during the breaks and going out to eat if possible.....otherwise I turn into more of a Zombie than I already am.....also, some practice rinks can be very cold......(If the two Gold sisters skate in the same practice group, THAT would be neat but it might make Frank work too hard.... LOL!)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ice-dance.com has put together a PDF schedule (for both practices and competitions) in a different format.

If the ice-dance.com schedule is accurate:

- Practices end at Bloomington Ice Garden on Sun Jan 17.

- Starting Mon Jan 18, only Xcel Energy Center and Pleasant Arena are used for practices.

- Nothing at Pleasant Arena on Tue Jan 19.​

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks so much for finding this golden411icecoverage! It saved me a lot of effort and was much easier to copy than that huge color coded detailed schedule USFS puts out. I did notice 1 little mistake on Saturday the Ladies do their FS not SP...but I fixed that on my copy!
ice-dance.com has put together a PDF schedule (for both practices and competitions) in a different format.

If the ice-dance.com schedule is accurate:

- Practices end at Bloomington Ice Garden on Sun Jan 17.

- Starting Mon Jan 18, only Xcel Energy Center and Pleasant Arena are used for practices.

- Nothing at Pleasant Arena on Tue Jan 19.​

b-man

Final Flight
This is disappointing. I thought Wednesday to Saturday practices were to be at the Bloomington Arena, which supposedly was open to all event ticket holders. If they are at the Pleasant Arena, which I understand is not open to all even ticket holders, I will be missing a lot of the pratices I am going to Nationals for. I am interested primarily in Senior ladies, and I always go to their practices rather than even competitive events in other disciplines. I've seen every ladies practice at Nationals the last five years. If the above is true, I will be missing Senior ladies practices on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. If I had known this, I would have flown in on Thursday instead of Tuesday, bought ladies tickets only instead of an all event ticket, and saved a lot of time and money.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know I am also disappointed. Since renting a car was out, I had resigned myself to not seeing the practices. However, I believe Pleasant Arena is fairly close to Xcel and that would be doable. This is the same thing that happened when St. Paul hosted in 2008. Back then the secondary arena became unavailable and all off site practices were moved to Pleasant Arena with no access for all event ticket holders. I also love going to practices and will skip a lower level competition in favor of senior level practices. I guess we all had better ask lots of questions of the KC contingent since the secondary arena there is about 10-12 miles away.

This is disappointing. I thought Wednesday to Saturday practices were to be at the Bloomington Arena, which supposedly was open to all event ticket holders. If they are at the Pleasant Arena, which I understand is not open to all even ticket holders, I will be missing a lot of the pratices I am going to Nationals for. I am interested primarily in Senior ladies, and I always go to their practices rather than even competitive events in other disciplines. I've seen every ladies practice at Nationals the last five years. If the above is true, I will be missing Senior ladies practices on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. If I had known this, I would have flown in on Thursday instead of Tuesday, bought ladies tickets only instead of an all event ticket, and saved a lot of time and money.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I see now that Bloomington Ice Garden's own schedule also indicates that US Figure Skating is using BIG facilities only through Sun Jan 17.

So by process of deduction, would seem that ice-dance.com is indeed correct that practices thereafter are either at Pleasant Arena or at Xcel Energy Center.

Last edited:

b-man

Final Flight
Thanks Farone and golden411. I don't know why USFS isn't using Bloomington Garden after the 17th, since Bloomington has 3 rinks and plenty of seating, but your evidence looks solid. Thanks for your research.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited: