2016 Spanish Figure Skating Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Spanish Figure Skating Championships

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I thought it was second time in Barcelona because there were no better propositions? Why does everyone think it's thanks to Javi? It was decided long ago before he became World Champion.
The fact that Spain even has a figure skater who has a decent shot to get on the podium at a WC might have had at least a little something to do with it, don't you think? ;) without Javi, do we really think Spain would have made a serious effort to get the GPF? Are there many other Spanish top skaters who I'm not aware of? I'd say Javi's international success must play at least some part in all of this. Credit where credit is due.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The fact that Spain even has a figure skater who has a decent shot to get on the podium at a WC might have had at least a little something to do with it, don't you think? ;) without Javi, do we really think Spain would have made a serious effort to get the GPF? Are there many other Spanish top skaters who I'm not aware of? I'd say Javi's international success must play at least some part in all of this. Credit where credit is due.
Okay, so maybe Spanish Federation itself became more interested in organising, yes. But people say as if ISU gave Barcelona GPF because of Javi.... Don't get me wrong, I love Javier, but I just didn't see why people gave him credit for the fact, that GPF was twice in a row in Barcelona. The first, maybe, but second? I think it was because first was so succesful. And everybody says the second time was only thanks to Javi... My post was related to quoted post, not general.

Last edited:

tureis

On the Ice
Javi is pretty much the only top skater in any discipline who doesn't get to compete in at least one major international event annually in his home country. (Save for Denis Ten maybe, but his home country doesn't exactly have the best reputation.) Hence the back-to-back GP finals in Barcelona. Without Javi the ISU would have no reason to consider taking anything to Spain, let alone twice - no matter how successful the organization or great the audience is. Just watch Madrid getting something before Javi can be expected to retire.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
that GPF was twice in a row in Barcelona.

Well, plus the fact that everything is cheaper in Spain than in France or Finland or England or Switzerland.
If Greece wants to host the GPF, maybe Spain would not win.