2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mariah has a FS program that is amazing but probably too difficult for her. She struggles with the 3-3. I still love her though even if she has been coming up short!!!

Me too. Her Titanic LP absolutely shocked me last year. She was my big discovery last season, along with Misha Ge. That little cutie!!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Mariah can have a great skate at Nationals like she did last year. I don't think she'll place top 6 again though. Top 8 maybe?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My memory is overloaded and unable to handle and process the amount of figure skating knowledge I try to take in. :slink:

Sam-S, I hope I did not sound judgmental. I live in a big ol' glass house.
And among my own assorted memory issues, it so happens that I have had my own problem with getting Barbie and Leah mixed up :palmf: (although I don't know why :confused2:).

IIRC, my confusion over them was the very reason why I had deleted one of my posts in the sectionals thread in Nov -- right before the one from Mrs. P re Barbie at college.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just love Mariah Bell and hope she has managed to work out some of her jump issues. I was hoping that this season would be much stronger, but it certainly has not been. She was delightful at 2015 Nationals and I hope she can finish top 8.

I hope Mariah can have a great skate at Nationals like she did last year. I don't think she'll place top 6 again though. Top 8 maybe?

samm22

On the Ice
Attn: fans of Mirai

She will be at a Meet and Greet sponsored by John Wilson Blades.

Tue Jan 19, 6:00 - 7:30 pm
Pierce Skate & Ski
208 W 98th St, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55420

https://www.facebook.com/events/825471224245609/
https://twitter.com/JohnWilsonBlade/status/687235822538592256

Thank you for the information! I won't be at nationals, but I got to meet Mirai (along with Dick Button!) during the summer of 2014 and she was super kind and sweet to everyone who wanted to meet her or take photos with her.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Here's a question for you all---is there anyone who doesn't feel that Gracie and Ashley will not be 1 and 2 at the end of this? Anyone with a weird gut feeling that we all might be in for an oddball shakeup here?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here's a question for you all---is there anyone who doesn't feel that Gracie and Ashley will not be 1 and 2 at the end of this? Anyone with a weird gut feeling that we all might be in for an oddball shakeup here?

I definitely don't. Unless one of them were to completely bomb, I can't see any skater coming between them. If Gracie is even remotely clean, She, along with Frank and Lori are a formidable force. PCS...Belong to Ashley. Mirai and Mariah Bell are both close to Ashley if they skate well. However, they are no match for Gracie technically. Courtney Hicks is great technically but She is no match for Ashley when it comes to Components. We still have 3 spots don't we? Maybe Karen Chen will make a big splash like Mirai did when she won.

desertskates

Medalist
I really don't think so either. It just came to mind with Courtney in 2nd and Ashley 4th at NHK. There are 3 spots for worlds, so I can't see any possibility where Gracie and Ashley would not be named.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I really don't think so either. It just came to mind with Courtney in 2nd and Ashley 4th at NHK. There are 3 spots for worlds, so I can't see any possibility where Gracie and Ashley would not be named.

This has crossed my mind as well, but that was kind of a freak thing so I doubt it'll happen again unless Ashley repeats 2014 Nationals or Gracie pulls a 4CC...

Guys, please don't do that. Skating should not be emotionally taxing! :hopelessness:

However, if anyone could it'd be Courtney. Karen, Mirai and Polina have a shot but not unless they rotate everything.

As somebody said of the men's event last year, it's kind of :eek: to think that one of Gracie, Ashley, Polina, Courtney, Mirai, Karen, Mariah, Angela, Tyler, Hannah, Bradie or Other Ashley (Cain) will finish outside the top 10. Of course, some of them are not very internationally competitive, but STILL...

Also, Tyler Pierce looks really strong and based on her CS performances (in which she's broken 60 in the SP and 105 in the FS) and I think/hope she'll be up there. Also, I want her to redeem herself after JWC last year. :cry:

Also, if Vivian was competing in seniors and went semi-clean, she would probably be on the podium, TBH. :slink:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I would not be shocked if they do not go one two. Strange things have happened. I could sadly see Gracie popping her flip into a double (thus getting a zero) and falling on her 3Z... something like that is not out of the scope of possible for her and could be really hard to prop up if others really nail it.

I also would not be surprised if there are some that think it could be time for a changing of the guard/shake up. I could see some people having a "if y'all mess up, you ain't getting kindness anymore". So no, it would not shock me if one of them messes up and gets some harsh scores.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Interesting anecdotal bit: last year, the 2012 senior, junior and novice ladies champions took the senior medals in that order (Ashley, Gracie, Karen). If this were to happen with the 2013 results, the podium would be Ashley, Polina and Tyler. Highly unlikely, but you never can tell...

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would not be shocked if they do not go one two. Strange things have happened. I could sadly see Gracie popping her flip into a double (thus getting a zero) and falling on her 3Z... something like that is not out of the scope of possible for her and could be really hard to prop up if others really nail it.

I also would not be surprised if there are some that think it could be time for a changing of the guard/shake up. I could see some people having a "if y'all mess up, you ain't getting kindness anymore". So no, it would not shock me if one of them messes up and gets some harsh scores.

Who are the people who decide who makes the team? I can't imagine a scenario where the committee wouldn't place either Ashley or Gracie on the team unless they COMPLETELY bomb. We saw it with Ashley over Mirai and the way the way that Ashley and Gracie have been skating, I can't imagine the committee would leave them at home with their International experience. IMO, the only skater in danger of losing her spot is Polina. She hasn't been great this year and I personally would like to see either Courtney or Angela Wang make the team.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Who are the people who decide who makes the team? I can't imagine a scenario where the committee wouldn't place either Ashley or Gracie on the team unless they COMPLETELY bomb. We saw it with Ashley over Mirai and the way the way that Ashley and Gracie have been skating, I can't imagine the committee would leave them at home with their International experience. IMO, the only skater in danger of losing her spot is Polina. She hasn't been great this year and I personally would like to see either Courtney or Angela Wang make the team.

I was talking about placement at nationals, not necessarily world team. World team... I think would depend on how everyone did and how close it was. I suspect Gracie and Ashely would go unless signs were pointing to an ongoing implosion or some really knock it out of the park skates beating them. For lack of a better way to put it. If the lades bronze medalist beats Gracie/Ashley with the Riverdance of the night, they might get to go to worlds. Who knows. I could see a pewter Gracie/Ashely going to Boston as well.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was talking about placement at nationals, not necessarily world team. World team... I think would depend on how everyone did and how close it was. I suspect Gracie and Ashely would go unless signs were pointing to an ongoing implosion or some really knock it out of the park skates beating them. For lack of a better way to put it. If the lades bronze medalist beats Gracie/Ashley with the Riverdance of the night, they might get to go to worlds. Who knows. I could see a pewter Gracie/Ashely going to Boston as well.

Unless they're hiding an Injury, I just couldn't leave Ashley or Gracie off the team unless they completely bomb which I can't see happening. However.......If it does happen, I'd rather see Courtney, or Angela Wang make it if Polina doesn't skate well. As I said, I haven't seen Polina skate anywhere this season so, I really don't have an opinion on where she'll place. Karen Chen has been quite impressive this season and if she could fix her horrible "I" spin, She might shake things up. IMO, There are so few skater's who can do a decent I spin. Mirai and Yulia are the only two with I spins that I really enjoy.

Last edited: