2016 US Nationals Senior Men SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men SP

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Here's a new comic book-themed video preview I made of the upcoming 2016 US Men's Nationals:

http://youtu.be/-Uuc8ujfGPM

Hope you guys enjoy, I didn't include Josh because I assume he's not competing (and hope he recovers well). Music is "First Cool Hive" by Moby

This is really cool! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you included Ross and especially Grant. I'm thinking/hoping Grant has a strong performance at Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It wasn't him that posted it, he was just tagged in it. I believe it was posted by his brother's wife and shows him, his brother and their mother. Since it was posted by his brother's wife, and not by him, I am not particularly comfortable with linking it...

Anyway, no, just to quickly put out any spot fires, it did not reveal anything of import, except that he currently has a particularly scruffy emo look going on and that he is taller than both brother and mother. They were obviously at a Christmas or New Year gathering, there was no ice involved, he looks healthy and well.

slider11

Medalist
Adam has been very consistent this season with his jumps, except for quad lutz.Also he has great programs this season.I hope he wins the title but I will be happy as long as he makes it to the team.

Agreed! I like all the US men but I think Adam deserves a win at Nationals. None of the US men have the jumping arsenal of the Japanese or Russians. I think they are putting forward tremendous artistry. Hanyu seems to be in a class by himself but if he has misfortune with his jumps I'm not sure his artistry would hold up against Rippon or Brown. Jason's health is a concern and his camp has been strangely quiet. Could his efforts to land quads created some chronic back issues? Max is developing as an artist and his jumps, when on, are good. If he can have another Skate America performance at Nationals, he might take the top spot. But Adam is my sentimental favorite.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Here's a new comic book-themed video preview I made of the upcoming 2016 US Men's Nationals:

http://youtu.be/-Uuc8ujfGPM

Hope you guys enjoy, I didn't include Josh because I assume he's not competing (and hope he recovers well). Music is "First Cool Hive" by Moby

Awesome!!!!! I never expected to see this wonderful post after clicking your post just out of curiosity from Thumbs up center, which is also a very useful tool and station. Without it, I woudn't intend to look into this thread.Thank you for introducing the great work of yours. This video in a great quality can be promoted by USFS. :agree: I hope you also make a clip for US ladies or other disciplines if possible.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Awesome!!!!! Thank you for introducing the great work of yours. This video in a great quality can be promoted by USFS. :agree: I hope you also make a clip for US ladies or other disciplines if possible.

Agree!

Fun and creative work Karpenko :clap:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
So clever, Karpenko. A big thank you! As far as my prediction: I'm going with A,B, & C: Aaron, Brown & Chen but boy its hard to count out Rippon, Miner, Farris (if he's there) & others. I'm even rooting for Sean Rabbitt to make top 10!. Love them all.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So clever, Karpenko. A big thank you! As far as my prediction: I'm going with A,B, & C: Aaron, Brown & Chen but boy its hard to count out Rippon, Miner, Farris (if he's there) & others. I'm even rooting for Sean Rabbitt to make top 10!. Love them all.

I like that, ABC, easy to remember. Yes, I think that's the most likely podium this year.

Adam could possibly play spoiler if he skates like he did last year, but w/o a consistent quad, I don't see it happening. His decade younger teammate Nathan is rising through the ranks and while his PCS is still developing, that kid is pretty good at landing quads.

I want to see Grant and Ross in the top 6 as well. Hoping Tim Dolensky and Sean Rabbitt also have good showings.

I've kind of resigned myself that Josh isn't competing, but if he does, he could also play spoiler.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This field is soo unpredictable, anyone could win, anyone could make the podium. How exciting!
Though I'm very sad that Josh won't be there. :(

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I want to see Grant and Ross in the top 6 as well. Hoping Tim Dolensky and Sean Rabbitt also have good showings.

:yes::yes::yes: I wish Ross to join the team for Worlds in Boston, where he trains. Also, would not mind at all Grant on the podium (isn't his first if he does?), personally.

And YES! to Timothy and Sean! Always joy to watch them at the US Nats. :)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Just read (US Nat'l Withdrawal thread) that Jason has withdrawn so now who do I add to my medal predictions for the men? Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, Hochstein, Johnson? I guess I'll go Aaron, Chen & stick my neck out & pick Ross Miner. It is open to anyone who wants to step up & grab a medal. Fascinating.

deedee1

Record Breaker
so sad to hear Josh and Jason withdrawals.... my hugs to their fans ;;;;;;

Sorry I don't follow US men closely on regular basis, so it's just me... IIRC Brandon Mroz comes back to competitive skating after taking a year off, but no Brandon on the senior men list. No Agnes Zawadzki on the ladies list, either. They must have participated in a local competition(s) somewhere before US Nats, I thought? Or they didn't?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think Brandon officially retired, but he hasn't competed since 2014. He was skating doing shows for Royal Caribbean and reportedly having fun. His long term goal (according to his bio on IN) is to become a dentist. Agnes I'm not real sure about. I know that she took a break because the financial burden was too much for her family. I think she may also be skating on a cruise ship, but don't know what line.

Sorry I don't follow US men closely on regular basis, so it's just me... IIRC Brandon Mroz comes back to competitive skating after taking a year off, but no Brandon on the senior men list. No Agnes Zawadzki on the ladies list, either. They must have participated in a local competition(s) somewhere before US Nats, I thought? Or they didn't?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Hi, deedee :).

Will just add that Agnes did not officially retire either, as far as I know.
Because her original announcement was that she was taking a year off, she seemed to be keeping the door open to a possible return.

To me, it is completely understandable that she simply was ready for a break from the rigors of training and competition.
I never heard her say that family finances were the reason for taking a break (although the financial pressure on her family from her skating has been no secret).

Coincidental aside re Brandon:
I was just listening to the newly published interview with Tom Z conducted by The Blade Boys.
Tom Z happened to mention that Brandon was the most recent U.S. man to win two GP medals in one season. I hadn't realized.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Wow, so fast! Thanks a lot for letting me know about them, MFarone and golden. :)

Continuing competitive career is so hard, mentally, physically AND financially for any skaters. They are very young, and 'Youth' does mean many dreams and bright future ahead of them. :yes: Whatever choice they are to make, I wish Brandon and Agnes good luck! :)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a link to an article about the financial struggle for Agnes and her family: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/s...o-reach-olympics-is-the-familys-too.html?_r=1

The last update on her website indicates she was sitting out the 2014-2015 season so she hasn't ever official retired so golden411icecoverage is correct about that. I saw Agnes compete several times and I have to say her jumps were HUGE and higher than most of the men competing.

Wow, so fast! Thanks a lot for letting me know about them, MFarone and golden. :)

Continuing competitive career is so hard, mentally, physically AND financially for any skaters. They are very young, and 'Youth' does mean many dreams and bright future ahead of them. :yes: Whatever choice they are to make, I wish Brandon and Agnes good luck! :)