2016 US Nationals Senior Men SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men SP

desertskates

Medalist
I would love to see Agnes competing again. It's so sad that someone can have all that talent, and at the end of the day. $$$ just gets in the way :(

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
With Joshua and Jason out the sad part for the USFSA is the hopes of earning 3 sports to next years world championships are slim to none. It would take an absolute miracle to have their points add up to 13 or less for 2 skaters.

Olympic

On the Ice
With Joshua and Jason out the sad part for the USFSA is the hopes of earning 3 sports to next years world championships are slim to none. It would take an absolute miracle to have their points add up to 13 or less for 2 skaters.

Admittedly, Jason out is bad news for the USFSA. He was 4th at Worlds last year, but Adam beat Josh at Nationals and Worlds (8th vs. 11th), despite Josh's incredible performance at 4CC's, and Adam is skating strong at the moment (as is Ross Miner). Also, Max is throwing down some consistency w/ quads and improved PCS. Plus, consider Worlds is in the US. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it will be a challenge to to get 3 spots, but not impossible. Assuming that both make the team, if Max got 5th at Worlds (which is not out of the realm of possibility) and Adam placed 8th again, it could happen.

georgia

On the Ice
According to this year's performances I don't thin Jason had any chance to be a top 4 at worlds. Skaters now compete with more than couple of quads in their arsenal.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I don't know if it's fair that Jason wouldn't have any chance to place 4th at Worlds. Skaters are competing with more than a couple quads but the men's events are still the most inconsistent and hardest to predict. If I was predicting Worlds with Jason in the mix I would put him lower than 4th, but he'd still have a decent shot if he hit and others didn't.

For the same reason, I think the US men have a decent but not huge chance of keeping three spots without Jason.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know if it's fair that Jason wouldn't have any chance to place 4th at Worlds. Skaters are competing with more than a couple quads but the men's events are still the most inconsistent and hardest to predict. If I was predicting Worlds with Jason in the mix I would put him lower than 4th, but he'd still have a decent shot if he hit and others didn't.

For the same reason, I think the US men have a decent but not huge chance of keeping three spots without Jason.

I must say that with the exception of Max, I haven't followed any of the remaining US Men. How is Adam Rippon looking? Even if Josh and Jason were there, I still believe Adam is the most talented Man outside of Joshua Farris. I hear everyone talking about Max winning which is very possible. However, if they both go clean, doesn't Adam have enough technical content to beat Max if they both skate cleanly? I would imagine that Adam has better components. I can't believe I haven't seen him this season, but I haven't.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I must say that with the exception of Max, I haven't followed any of the remaining US Men. How is Adam Rippon looking? Even if Josh and Jason were there, I still believe Adam is the most talented Man outside of Joshua Farris. I hear everyone talking about Max winning which is very possible. However, if they both go clean, doesn't Adam have enough technical content to beat Max if they both skate cleanly? I would imagine that Adam has better components. I can't believe I haven't seen him this season, but I haven't.

Adam attempts the 4lz, but he is not hitting it in competition, so he is for all intents and purposes, quadless for now.
In components, I think Adam will be marked higher than Max.
So if they both skate clean minus Adam's 4Lz, I think that Max will come out ahead due to his TES advantage and the progress he has made this year in the PCS area.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Adam attempts the 4lz, but he is not hitting it in competition, so he is for all intents and purposes, quadless for now.
In components, I think Adam will be marked higher than Max.
So if they both skate clean minus Adam's 4Lz, I think that Max will come out ahead due to his TES advantage and the progress he has made this year in the PCS area.

Does Adam attempt any other quad than the Lutz? I would think he could land a quad with relative ease if he can "Sometimes" land a 4L. I've never seen Adam in person but, I've seen tons of video and he reminds me of me....I could do a Lutz but I couldn't do a Sal to save my life. I'm sure it's was from Ballet but, I always walked and still walk with a slight turnout. Or, like duck as my family would say and I wonder if Adam is the same way.

Anyway, I still have hope that a Max, Adam, Ross, Ricky, or Grant podium in any order could keep our 3 spots.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Does Adam attempt any other quad than the Lutz? I would think he could land a quad with relative ease if he can "Sometimes" land a 4L. I've never seen Adam in person but, I've seen tons of video and he reminds me of me....I could do a Lutz but I couldn't do a Sal to save my life. I'm sure it's was from Ballet but, I always walked and still walk with a slight turnout. Or, like duck as my family would say and I wonder if Adam is the same way.

Anyway, I still have hope that a Max, Adam, Ross, Ricky, or Grant podium in any order could keep our 3 spots.

I think he used to do the 4T but it wasn't stable...he did land a few. Any Adam experts want to give more intel on the state of Adam's other quads?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
My personal observation is that Adam misses his hardest jump.

When it's the triple axle, he misses the triple axle. When it was the quad toe, he missed the quad toe. When it's the quad lutz, he misses the quad lutz. He gets more points for missing the quad lutz. (The good news is that his axle, which has always been questionable as long as I can remember it, seemed quite stable when I saw him at Skate Canada this season). Of course, then he took out the quad lutz. And missed the axle.

Olympic

On the Ice
Adam was much closer to a 4toe than he ever was to a 4z, I think a sloppy 4toe would probably be worth more than a downgraded 4z w/ a fall. It is admirable that he goes for the brass ring but I think he would be better served if team Rippon had pursued a 4toe in competition

TMC

Record Breaker

It does look a bit dire, unfortunately...:sad4: I'm so selfish but I just want to see 3 US men here next year! A Jason/Max/Sean Rabbitt :)biggrin:) team would be perfect.

If it so happens that Jason's not on the 2017 team either because there are not enough spots....I'll be rage flipping tables left and right :gaah: I suppose it's good that he's taking time off to get better, because he needs to be 100% this time next year :yes:

Ekm

On the Ice
Does anyone know what Nathan's layout would be for a sr program (I'm assuming he'll be doing a quad in the short), and what his scoring potential would be like compared to Max and Adam (just in terms of TES)?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what Nathan's layout would be for a sr program (I'm assuming he'll be doing a quad in the short), and what his scoring potential would be like compared to Max and Adam (just in terms of TES)?

I just hope Nathan dials it back a bit in the LP. He went for 4 quads in his LP at the JGPF which was a bit to much in my opinion. I could see him doing 3 right now but not 4 and i hope he doesn't.

Icey

Record Breaker
Did I miss an announcement from the Abbot camp? I thought he intended on continuing to compete.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Did I miss an announcement from the Abbot camp? I thought he intended on continuing to compete.

Without ruling out competing in the future, Jeremy made clear earlier that he would not compete at Nats this year.

shmay

On the Ice
I just hope Nathan dials it back a bit in the LP. He went for 4 quads in his LP at the JGPF which was a bit to much in my opinion. I could see him doing 3 right now but not 4 and i hope he doesn't.

Nathan attempted 3 quads in his LP at JGPF.