Ekaterina Gordeeva: From the Heart (Dec 30) | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Gordeeva: From the Heart (Dec 30)

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Figure Skater Ekaterina Gordeeva, together with fellow Olympic gold medal winning skaters Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Ilia Kulik, and David Pelletier, as well as Olympic silver medalist Paul Wylie, and World Champion Yuka Sato, presents From the Heart, a thank you to her fans and an honor of her late husband and figure skating partner, Sergei Grinkov.

Gordeeva and Grinkov, the 1988 and 1994 Olympic gold medalists and four-time world champions from Russia, are universally recognized as the greatest figure skating pair team of all time. They shared a love both on and off the ice, and were married in April 1991.

In September 1992, the couple celebrated the birth of their daughter, Daria, but just a little more than three years later, in November, 1995, tragedy struck. During a "Stars on Ice" Tour rehearsal, in Lake Placid, Grinkov passed away from a heart attack. He was only 28-years old.

Gordeeva courageously returned to the ice as a solo skater for the "Stars on Ice" show a year later. Twenty years later, directed by Emmy Award-winner, Sandra Bezic, she returns once more to celebrate her late husband's life with a special tribute show. Proceeds from the performance will benefit the American Heart Association.

Website/Tickets

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Paula you just deleted my thread? Could you move my post to the thread I missed. I asked about Daria and expressed my feeling. Then I fixed the typos and damn autofills. That takes time and effort and it shouldn't be deleted. Thank you for your assistance. I'm amazed no one has responded and I did not see the GS post . Sorry but shouldn't it be combined?

Deletion is when you don't like a post for infraction or whatever I thought. Please clarify. Thank you.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ So far, I doubt it, but I hope it will! for that matter, I wish it would be available on DVD for so many of us who can't attend the live show!

Are Kristi :love: and Scott :love: actually going to skate, or just MC?

I see that Jamie Sale is not mentioned. Is she on the docket, or will David be going solo?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I see that Jamie Sale is not mentioned. Is she on the docket, or will David be going solo?

I have understood from FSU forum that he will skate pairs with Gordeeva.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have understood from FSU forum that he will skate pairs with Gordeeva.

That's interesting. Is her husband not good at pairs? Of course, as David is a trained pair skater, it makes perfect sense.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Figure Skater Ekaterina Gordeeva, together with fellow Olympic gold medal winning skaters Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Ilia Kulik, and David Pelletier, as well as Olympic silver medalist Paul Wylie, and World Champion Yuka Sato, presents From the Heart, a thank you to her fans and an honor of her late husband and figure skating partner, Sergei Grinkov.

Gordeeva and Grinkov, the 1988 and 1994 Olympic gold medalists and four-time world champions from Russia, are universally recognized as the greatest figure skating pair team of all time. They shared a love both on and off the ice, and were married in April 1991.

In September 1992, the couple celebrated the birth of their daughter, Daria, but just a little more than three years later, in November, 1995, tragedy struck. During a "Stars on Ice" Tour rehearsal, in Lake Placid, Grinkov passed away from a heart attack. He was only 28-years old.

Gordeeva courageously returned to the ice as a solo skater for the "Stars on Ice" show a year later. Twenty years later, directed by Emmy Award-winner, Sandra Bezic, she returns once more to celebrate her late husband's life with a special tribute show. Proceeds from the performance will benefit the American Heart Association.

Website/Tickets

Wow what a cast! :love: and how thoughtful of them all to plan such a show and donate to the Association. With or without OGMs, they do have a heart of gold! :yes:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's interesting. Is her husband not good at pairs? Of course, as David is a trained pair skater, it makes perfect sense.

Katia and Ilia skated at least one number as a "pair" when they first got together. I saw SOI that year, and I noticed that they weren't doing traditional pairs lifts. He did lift her up a couple of times, but the lifts were either not beautiful IMO or not especially impressive. I understood from something I read not long afterward that Ilia wasn't a fan of performing as a pair. They skate family numbers with their daughter, but it's pretty much side-by-side singles skating. In the most recent show on TV, they skated only a father/daughter number and a mother/daughter number.

I think it'll be much more beautiful, seeing Katia and David skate pairs together. Actually, I could wish they'd do SOI together as a pair. Katia's air positions in lifts are absolutely stellar. No one else has such beautiful extension combined with the precise, yet soft ballerina positions. IMO.

I imagine it is not so easy for a singles skater to train for pairs or to master pairs lifts. If I were katia I would be afraid of being dropped on my hed, husband or no husband. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I imagine it is not so easy for a singles skater to train for pairs or to master pairs lifts. If I were katia I would be afraid of being dropped on my hed, husband or no husband. :laugh:

I always thought Ilia himself looked not particularly comfortable with hoisting his wife over his head, especially given he was a singles skater with no pairs experience...!

skateluvr

Record Breaker

I put in apost that should have been put in this thread please mm an, that David is partnering Katia ina real program choreo by Bezic. 4 minutes thirty seconds. Bezic has photos on Twitter of David holing Katia in the one arm straight lift she always did with Sergei. She did good skating with that Hockey player but Kulik isn't strong enough for those lefts. This will be the best and only real program with another olychampion as partner since Sergei died. We will never see this again I'm sure. I hope someone at least videos this performance for YouTube. I'll bet it will be awesome and she will try to do the iconic Gand G moves to her ability. I don't think Jaime will be skating. They don't skate anymore together I think.

As for Scott and Kristi I think it will be emcee. Kristi is very proud and doesn't want to do single jumps. She doesn't skate much but her daughter does. And Scott is getting old with two young kids so I doubt you will see him skate again. Maybe a simple group number is possible. Yuka and Ilia will be skating and Meryl and Charlie I think.

Last edited:

casualfan

On the Ice
What I wouldn't give to be able to go. Would love to see Katia in a pair with an experienced pair's partner. I hope there will be a video.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
would love to see that too!!! wow!!!!
I put in apost that should have been put in this thread please mm an, that David is partnering Katia ina real program choreo by Bezic. 4 minutes thirty seconds. Bezic has photos on Twitter of David holing Katia in the one arm straight lift she always did with Sergei. She did good skating with that Hockey player but Kulik isn't strong enough for those lefts. This will be the best and only real program with another olychampion as partner since Sergei died. We will never see this again I'm sure. I hope someone at least videos this performance for YouTube. I'll bet it will be awesome and she will try to do the iconic Gand G moves to her ability. I don't think Jaime will be skating. They don't skate anymore together I think.

As for Scott and Kristi I think it will be emcee. Kristi is very proud and doesn't want to do single jumps. She doesn't skate much but her daughter does. And Scott is getting old with two young kids so I doubt you will see him skate again. Maybe a simple group number is possible. Yuka and Ilia will be skating and Meryl and Charlie I think.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
No I think not. But that song is dubbed over the whole big widow stuff they did in those months after he died.

I have tried to find an Soi clip of a pregnant Katia to a song called Beautiful. I think it was pulled years ago. It was about Sergei when she was carrying Liza.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Is anyone got tickets to this? Anyone from ny gonna try and go????

Oh please get us video!!!!

Paula will we have any GS coverage? Whatever happened to the lady who attended big events and wrote reports just for GS ?????? Are you in nyc Paula? I really hope some sort of 20 year retrospective is done. This thread is small. All the older fans out there - or are they left here?

Doris P you are in Ct... Will you and Mr P attend? How about Mathman?

I sorely miss Olympia. She'd be thrilled about Sergei being honored by Katia. Sad isn't it that their while relation ship wasn't nearly 20 years. She's been married longer to Ilia. Funny tho how she danced with him once in Soi but it had no magic. She didn't look at him the same. Not remotely.

My goodness he was so handsome. One of my favorite pairs and both so lovely to look art. Sigh.

Last edited:

trouble77

Rinkside
I'm a die hard G&G fan, but I don't see why to emphasize how beautiful GG were we need to automatically diminish Katia's other skating partners. Katia and Ilia's SOI program back in 1999/2000 was absolutely memorable and magic. I saw Katia skating with Ilia over the years, doing pairs movements and he does those pairs as well as the pairs next to him. I enjoyed seeing Katia's skating with Egor Beroiev in ICE AGE and then with Valerie Bure in BATTLE OF THE BLADES enormously, and some of those programs were quite awesome and Katia had a blast!
Dear Olympia (RIP), I hope someone will post some videos of the show. You would have been trilled about it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Agreed and I also think it is rude and uncalled-for to imply that Katia loves Ilia less or that he does not love her as well as Sergei did.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I saw one Soi number and it wasn't magic for me. I'm not implying who she loved more at all - likely ilia after so long but they looked at each other like no pair I've seen before or since.

The love was part of their brand of magic. I have never seen ilia do true pair skating. I enjoyed her with Bure too. I expect David to be an equal partner.