2. Emi HIRAI /Marien DE LA ASUNCION
3. Ibuki MORI /Kentaro SUZUKI
4. Haruno YAJIMA /Kokoro MIZUTANI

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This was so hard because there are so many skaters that I like, and didn’t want to put out of scoring positions!

But first, I have to comment on the most shocking thing about the predictions so far:

Why has hardly anybody predicted that The Queen will win???!!!

Of the 19 predictions posted so far, only 4 have put Mao Asada on top! :eek: (After I post mine, that will be 5/20, so a quarter of the predictions).

Like, I know she finished a LOT further down than expected at the GP Final (I can’t bear to mention where she finished relative to everybody else!), but that was just one poor event. She has won or been on the podium in every other competition she has done this season!

So, well done to sunnystars, cathlen, tulosai and icekiwi for keeping the faith!

Well, the Top 2 were a lock in for me. But after that, it was the Hunger Games. There were literally 15 or 16 skaters that I thought were capable of getting into the remaining scoring positions!

When I was bringing up the Bios, every time I would come to a name and think “Oh, I’ll have to put her in my Top 6”! And when I got them all ordered, I was shocked at how far down the list some of them ended up. It just shows the depth of talent there is!

So, after looking at the list for a few minutes, I promptly went onto Facebook, as I couldn’t face pushing anybody down!

In the end, I decided to only a few changes. The first was really painful – pushing Kanako Murakami down the list.

I really like Kanako, and she has the third highest ISU PB. But I have to be realistic – so far this season, the Juniors have been scoring a lot better than her. Her SB is 171.59 from Skate Canada. And 7 of the 10 skaters who have PB’s higher than this scored them this season, or at the end of last season. (The other 3 are Mao Asada, Haruka Imai and Kanako herself, who all scored their PB’s in the second half of the 2013–14 season).

Placing Kanako by SB brought her down to 10th on the list, between Yuka Nagai and Kaori Sakamoto. But, Sakamoto’s PB from the Riga Cup was not much less than this. So, I pushed Kaori up into the Top 10, taking Kana down to 11th. Incidentally, Riona Kato’s PB was also not far behind Sakamoto, but her scores have been a LOT lower than that this season. So, she stayed where she was.

The other main change was to promote Wakaba Higuchi a place in front of Yuna Shiraiwa. I really like Wakababy, and their ISU PB’s are pretty close. But, more significantly, Wakababy won Junior Nationals last month by 5 points over Yuna.

While looking at the results of Junior Nationals, I noticed that Yahuna Yukoi and Rin Nitaya were 3rd and 4th, and that their scores would bring them well into the Top 10, just ahead of Haruka Imai. Consequently, Murakami finished up being 13th on my list. :eek:

With all the retirements in recent years, there were not quite as many Men that I wanted to put in my Top 6 as there were Ladies. But, there were still more skaters than places!

I knew exactly who I wanted to put as the Top 9 skaters. It was just a matter of the order.

I did have a problem though. There was some fella Hanyu that I have never heard tell of before, but the PB’s in his ISU Bio are more like telephone numbers than figure skating scores! Whoever it was that types the updates to the Bios must have made a mistake. Just in case he is actually good, I decided to put him as my 9th position. But then, I thought, “nah, I’ll put him as my alternate”. Then I had another thought “Wait, if I haven’t heard tell of him, hardly anybody else will either. So, they won’t take the risk of picking him. So, if I pick him and he does actually do well, I’ll clean up!” Consequently, I put him in first place…

For the rest of my Top 6, I knew who I was going to have. But, I dithered a bit about the order. Kozuka, Murakami and Mura all have very similar PB’s. Kozuka’s PB’s are the highest, but date way back to 2011 and 2012. With Murakami and Mura, their overall and FS PB’s date to last season, but their SP PB’s are from this season.

I toyed with the idea of moving Murakami and Mura up. But then I looked at the results from last year’s Senior Nationals. And I decided, no, I would keep Kozuka in 3rd position. As for the other two, I kept Murakami ahead. For a start, his SB (from Skate Canada) is a full 10 points higher than Mura’s (from the NHK Trophy). Plus, after doing so badly in last year’s Nationals, and after finishing last in the GP Final a few weeks ago, Murakami will be out to prove a point.

The other dithering I was doing was over 6th and 7th. Both skaters set their PB’s this season. Tanaka’s PB (from the NHK) is 2 points ahead of Yamamoto’s PB (from the Copernicus Stars). But, I decided to put Yamamoto ahead. No particular reason apart from the fact that every time I think of Yamamoto, I think of his “Thunderbirds” gala routine from a few years ago, and it always makes me smile.

I was happy enough with the order I had Hino and Kawahara in. There is a full 7 points between their ISU PB’s, and an even bigger difference (37 points!) in what Ryuju scored at Senior Nationals and what Sei scored at Junior Nationals last year. As for the rest, I wasn’t familiar enough with them, so I left them as they were.

Can I just say, it is great to see that for the first time ever, the Pairs competition has enough entries to count towards the Predictions Game!!!

However, it is a bit surreal that one of the entries is made up of 2 foreigners! A girl from Hong Kong, and a guy from Canada. Although, judging by her name (as well as her sister’s name), I suspect Marin Ono may have more than a little bit of Japanese heritage!

Unfortunately, they are all new couples, so we don’t really have much to go on for any of them.

If we order the five skaters I could find ISU Bios for by the PB’s for their previous partnerships, it has the 3 guys on top, followed by the 2 girls.

Kihara’s former partnership is top of the list, but a lot of the reason for that is undoubtedly down to Narumi Takahashi. She was the star of the partnership.

Next along was Boudreau Audet’s former partnership. Now, I really liked him and Ami Koga, so I am a rather upset that they have split up.

Third on the list was Wesley Killing. Apologies to our Canadian members, but I know nothing about him, or his past partnerships.

There was roughly 7 points between each of the guys. But, the worrying thing was the girls. Their PB’s with their previous partners were a LOT lower, barely into 3 figures. Oh, and they were both set at Junior Worlds in 2014. So, we have a direct comparison.

Since Ono was the bottom of the 2 girls, and Killing was the bottom of the 3 guys, I put them at the bottom.

Although Kihara was the top guy, his partner is new to Pairs. She was 13th in Junior Ladies two years ago. This may not sound too impressive, but then you see that Yuna Aoki was 2 places below her, and Yuka Nagai a further 2 places back. I was tempted to put them on the top, but her inexperience in Pairs led me to put them in the middle.

So, Boudreau Audet and Suto were my pick for the win. I may know hardly anything about her, but I rate her partner. And that was enough to sway it for me.

In Dance, there are 2 partnerships that have ISU Bios, and 2 where only the guy does. Of the 2 that do have ISU Bios, I rate them both! But, the partnership that is new for this season is already doing better than the more established partnership. There again, that new partnership does include the guy whose previous partnership dominated the Japanese Ice Dance Championship for many years!

I was tempted to go for Emi and Marien, but with the way Kana and Chris have hit the road running, I have to go for them.

For the other two, I went on past results for the guys. Two years ago, Suzuki finished third in Senior nationals and won Junior nationals when he was partnering Shizuru Agita. In the same Senior Nationals, Mizutani was fourth with Chinatsu Nakazawa, but nearly 16 points behind.

For the girls, Suzuki’s new partner, Ibuki Mori was 21st in Senior Ladies last year. I can’t find anything out about Muzutani’s new partner, Haruno Yajima.

So, in theory, Suzuki should be able to beat Mizutani again with their new partners.

Right, that's enough waffling!

This took rather a lot longer than I was expecting, so I’m not going to have as long to deliberate over Russia as I had hoped! :drama:

Caroliza_fan

JAPANESE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ladies

1. Mao ASADA, JPN
2. Satoko MIYAHARA, JPN
3. Rika HONGO, JPN
4. Wakaba HIGUCHI, JPN
5. Yuna SHIRAIWA, JPN
6. Marin HONDA, JPN

Just for fun
7. Yura MATSUDA, JPN
8. Yuhana YOKOI, JPN
9. Rin NITAYA, JPN
10. Haruka IMAI, JPN
11. Yuka NAGAI, JPN
12. Kaori SAKAMOTO, JPN
13. Kanako MURAKAMI, JPN
14. Riona KATO, JPN
15. Mariko KIHARA, JPN

Men

1. Yuzuru HANYU, JPN
2. Shoma UNO, JPN
3. Takahiko KOZUKA, JPN
4. Daisuke MURAKAMI, JPN
5. Takahito MURA, JPN
6. Sota YAMAMOTO, JPN

Just for fun
7. Keiji TANAKA, JPN
8. Ryuju HINO, JPN
9. Sei KAWAHARA, JPN
10. Koshiro SHIMADA, JPN
11. Daichi MIYATA, JPN
12. Hiroaki SATO, JPN
13. Mitsuki SUMOTO, JPN
14. Shu NAKAMURA, JPN
15. Kento KAJITA, JPN

Pairs

1. Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET, JPN
2. Miu SUZAKI / Ryuichi KIHARA, JPN
3. Marin ONO / Wesley KILLING, JPN

Ice Dance

1. Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED, JPN
2. Emi HIRAI / Marien DE LA ASUNCION, JPN
3. Ibuki MORI / Kentaro SUZUKI, JPN
4. Haruno YAJIMA / Kokoro MIZUTANI, JPN

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Why has hardly anybody predicted that The Queen will win???!!!

Of the 19 predictions posted so far, only 4 have put Mao Asada on top! :eek: (After I post mine, that will be 5/20, so a quarter of the predictions).
I know! Even when she skated sick at GPF, she scored more than any other Japanese lady is realistically capable of - except Rika and Satoko. If Mao is in better shape than at GPF, I think only Satoko is likely to stand a chance against her. So I'm surprised too... that of the two, the overwhelming favourite is Satoko. I guess everyone is assuming Mao is not yet recovered, and/or will make the same mistakes again - and Satoko's consistency will win through.

I did have a problem though. There was some fella Hanyu that I have never heard tell of before, but the PB’s in his ISU Bio are more like telephone numbers than figure skating scores! Whoever it was that types the updates to the Bios must have made a mistake. Just in case he is actually good, I decided to put him as my 9th position. But then, I thought, “nah, I’ll put him as my alternate”. Then I had another thought “Wait, if I haven’t heard tell of him, hardly anybody else will either. So, they won’t take the risk of picking him. So, if I pick him and he does actually do well, I’ll clean up!” Consequently, I put him in first place…
Hahah, good one :-D

I decided to put Yamamoto ahead. No particular reason apart from the fact that every time I think of Yamamoto, I think of his “Thunderbirds” gala routine from a few years ago, and it always makes me smile.
Loved that Thunderbirds program - the first time I "noticed" Sota, was when he did that - I thought at the time, a boy who skates to the Thunderbirds music... is surely destined for greatness! :-D

PS. I hope Kanako makes you regret your lack of faith...! ;-D

Lydia1703

On the Ice
Men
1. Yuzuru HANYU
2. Shoma UNO
3. Takahito MURA
4. Daisuke MURAKAMI
5. Sota YAMAMOTO
6. Keiji TANAKA
7. Takahiko KOZUKA

Ladies
1. Satoko MIYAHARA
2. Mao ASADA
3. Rika HONGO
4. Wakaba HIGUCHI
5. Yuka NAGAI
6. Yuna SHIRAIWA
7. Marin HONDA

Ice Dance
1. Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED
2. Emi HIRAI / Marien DE LA ASUNCION
3. Ibuki MORI / Kentaro SUZUKI
4. Haruno YAJIMA / Kokoro MIZUTANI

Pairs
1. Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET
2. Miu SUZAKI / Ryuichi KIHARA
3. Marin ONO / Wesley KILLING

angy555

Spectator
Ladies
1. Mao ASADA
2. Satoko MIYAHARA
3. Rika HONGO
4. Kanako MURAKAMI
5. Wakaba HIGUCHI
6. Haruka IMAI

Men
1. Yuzuru HANYU
2. Shoma UNO
3. Daisuke MURAKAMI
4. Takahito MURA
5. Sota YAMAMOTO
6. Takahiko KOZUKA

Pairs
1. Suto/Boudreau-Audet
2. Suzaki/Kihara
3. Ono/Killing

Ice Dance
1. Muramoto/Reed
2. Hirai/De La Asuncion
3. Mori/Suzuki
4. Yajima/Mizutani

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Men
1. Yuzuru HANYU
2. Shoma UNO
3. Daisuke MURAKAMI
4. Takahito MURA
5. Takahiko KOZUKA
6. Keiji TANAKA

Ladies
1. Satoko MIYAHARA
2. Mao ASADA
3. Rika HONGO
4. Wakaba HIGUCHI
5. Marin HONDA
6. Yuka NAGAI

Pairs
1. Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET
2. Marin ONO / Wesley KILLING
3. Miu SUZAKI / Ryuichi KIHARA

Ice Dance

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Ladies

1. Satoko Miyahara
2. Mao Asada (Wow, I NEVER thought I'd say that...)
3. Rika Hongo
4. Wakaba Higuchi
5. Kanako Murakami
6. Yuka Nagai
7. Marin Honda

Men
1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Shoma Uno
3. Daisuke Murakami
4. Takahito Mura
5. Takahiko Kozuka
6. Sota Yamamoto

Pairs
1. Suto/Brudreau-Audet
2. Ono/Killing
3. Suzaki/Kihara

Dance
1. Muramoto/Reed
2. Hirai/De La Asuncion
3. Mori/Suzuki
4. Yajima/Mizutani

rosacotton

Final Flight
Ladies
1. MIYAHARA
2. ASADA
3. HONGO
4. NAGAI
5. HIGUCHI
6. MURAKAMI

Men
1. HANYU
2. UNO
3. MURA
4. MURAKAMI
5. YAMAMOTO
6. KOZUKA

Pairs
1. SUZAKI / KIHARA
2. ONO / KILLING
3. SUTO / BOUDREAU-AUDET

Ice Dance
1. MURAMOTO / REED
2. HIRAI / DE LA ASUNCION
3. MORI / SUZUKI
4. YAJIMA / MIZUTANI

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
>  it is a bit surreal that one of the entries is made up of 2 foreigners! A girl from Hong Kong, and a guy from Canada. Although, judging by her name (as well as her sister’s name), I suspect Marin Ono may have more than a little bit of Japanese heritage!
CaroLiza_fan, I think you might be misinformed. Marin Ono is a Japanese name (I checked on Japanese sites). I think Ami Koga is half Hong Kong Chinese...I don't know anything about Marin Ono, so maybe she has a Chinese mother or she's one of those Chinese or Korean people who were born in Japan and changed to a Japanese name.

Unless the Japanese figure skating mandarins start a structured effort to recruit boys into pairs and dance, they will always have the problem of their pairs and dance girls having to partner foreign boys. But I think it's hard to recruit bigger, taller boys (fewer in number in Japan, though the young people are definitely taller now on average) into figure skating.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
MENS
1. Yuzuru HANYU
2. Shoma UNO
3. Daisuke MURAKAMI
4. Takahito MURA
5. Keiji TANAKA
6. Sota YAMAMOTO
7. Takahiko KOZUKA
8. Ryuju HINO

LADIES
Isn't it amazing that many figure skating fans would hear all the listed skaters' name at least once because of their vigorous activities on their own? I think Japanese female skaters are more deeper in field than men's in Japan.

1. Satoko MIYAHARA
2. Mao ASADA
3. Rika HONGO
4. Wakaba HIGUCHI
5. Kanako MURAKAMI
6. Marin HONDA
---------------------------
7. Yuka NAGAI
8. Yuna SHIRAIWA
9. Haruka IMAI
10. Yura MATSUDA
11. Kaori SAKAMOTO
12. Riona KATO
13. Yuna AOKI
14. Mariko KIHARA
15. Rin NITAYA
16. Miyu NAKASHIO
17. Miyabi OBA

I have no idea who is a stronger or weaker team of pairs and ice dance in Japan though.

Pairs
1. Sumire SUTO /Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET
2. Miu SUZAKI /Ryuichi KIHARA
3. Marin ONO /Wesley KILLING

Ice Dance
1. Kana MURAMOTO /Chris REED
2. Emi HIRAI /Marien DE LA ASUNCION
3. Ibuki MORI /Kentaro SUZUKI
4. Haruno YAJIMA /Kokoro MIZUTANI

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ignore this. I was got mixed up, and thought the Japanese Championships were starting today!

I'm getting too confused between the dates for Russian and Japanese Championships this year!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
However, it is a bit surreal that one of the entries is made up of 2 foreigners! A girl from Hong Kong, and a guy from Canada. Although, judging by her name (as well as her sister’s name), I suspect Marin Ono may have more than a little bit of Japanese heritage!

CaroLiza_fan, I think you might be misinformed. Marin Ono is a Japanese name (I checked on Japanese sites). I think Ami Koga is half Hong Kong Chinese...I don't know anything about Marin Ono, so maybe she has a Chinese mother or she's one of those Chinese or Korean people who were born in Japan and changed to a Japanese name.

That is actually the point I am making. That even though she previously represented Hong Kong, "Marin Ono" is a Japanese name.

Her ISU Bio for when she was skating with TO Hon Lam says that both Marin and Hon Lam were born in Hong Kong.

It said in the notes at the bottom of Marin and Hon Lam's Bio that Marin's big sister, Tamami, was also a skater. And when I saw another Japanese name, I thought "Ah, they must be from a Japanese family living in Hong Kong".

Well, it was only there now after reading your comment that I thought of looking up Tamami. And I found her ISU Bio. And it turns out that she was born in Japan (Chiba, to be precise). Her Wikipedia page says that Tamami competed for Hong Kong her entire career.

So, it must have been sometime in the early 90's that the family moved to Hong Kong. And then Marin came along in 1999.

Unless the Japanese figure skating mandarins start a structured effort to recruit boys into pairs and dance, they will always have the problem of their pairs and dance girls having to partner foreign boys. But I think it's hard to recruit bigger, taller boys (fewer in number in Japan, though the young people are definitely taller now on average) into figure skating.

The reason I brought it up is because we have already seen with what happened Narumi Takahashi / Mervin Tran that it is extremely difficult for foreigners to get Japanese citizenship. And, hence, get to compete for Japan at the Olympics. So, it made no sense to me for there to be a Japanese Pairs couple made up completely of foreigners. Because, no matter how good they were, they would never get the chance to compete at the Olympics.

But, if one of them had Japanese parents, then at least that person would be able to get citizenship. It wouldn't help their partner, but it would would mean that if they subsequently got a Japanese partner, then they would get the chance to compete on the biggest stage.

And this is where your point comes in. I think Marin made the switch because she (or her team) saw how many foreign guys were having to be used in the couples categories in Japan, and realised that no matter how good they were, these couples would not be able to compete at the Olympics. So, a small field was effectively getting smaller. So, Marin made the switch now so that she would be in the market to get a Japanese guy in the future.

With the success of Hanyu, and with the same names continuing to get selected for international assignments, more Japanese guys will realise that they have no chance of getting onto the Men's team. So, the taller ones might decide to try to further their career by doing what Ryuichi Kihara did a couple of years ago, and try Pairs.

The problem for Marin, of course, is if the same thing happens with the smaller Ladies skaters.

It's a big gamble for Marin, but it could pay off.

If she had stayed representing Hong Kong, Marin would probably have had a better chance of going to the Olympics. No disrespect to HK (I have good friends who are from there!), but in general the figure skating field in HK is not very strong. Let's face it, their (recently retired) best skater, LAM Chiu Ting, came through the Canadian system, and only switched to representing his homeland in the final few years of his career.

But, representing Japan means Marin has access to better coaches, better facilities, etc. than she would have in HK.

So, although she is currently partnering a Canadian, I do think switching to Japan is part of a long term career plan in which Marin will end up partnering a tall Japanese guy and going to the Olympics.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
Men:
  1. Yuzuru HANYU
  2. Shoma UNO
  3. Daisuke MURAKAMI
  4. Takahito MURA
  5. Sota YAMAMOTO
    ----
  6. Takahiko KOZUKA

Ladies:
  1. Mao ASADA
  2. Satoko MIYAHARA
  3. Rika HONGO
  4. Kanako MURAKAMI
  5. Marin HONDA
    ----
  6. Yuna SHIRAIWA
  7. Wakaba HIGUCHI

Pairs:
  1. Miu SUZAKI / Ryuichi KIHARA
  2. Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET

4. ----

Ice Dance:

5. ----

Weathergal

Medalist
Ladies:
1. Satoko MIYAHARA
2. Rika HONGO
3. Mao ASADA
4. Marin HONDA
5. Kanako MURAKAMI
---
6. Haruka IMAI

Men:
1. Yuzuru HANYU
2. Shoma UNO
3. Takahito MURA
4. Daisuke MURAKAMI
5. Keiji TANAKA
---
6. Takahiko KOZUKA

Pairs:
1. Miu SUZAKI / Ryuichi KIHARA
2. Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET

Dance:
1. Emi HIRAI / Marien DE LA ASUNCION
2. Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED

desertskates

Medalist
Men:
1. Hanyu
2. Uno
3. Mura
4. Kozuka
5. Murakami
6. Tanaka

Ladies:
1. Asada
2. Miyahara
3. Hongo
4. Nagai
5. Murakmi
6. Nagai

Pairs:
1. Suzaki / Kihara
2. Suto / Boudreau-Audet
3. Ono / Killing

Dance:
1. Muramoto / Reed
2. Hirai / De La Asuncion
3. Mori / Suzuki
4. Yajima / Mizutani

I'll admit I don't really follow Japanese pairs and dance, but maybe this will change that. All the best to the skaters :)

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
Men:
1. Hanyu
2. Uno
3. Mura
4. Murakami
5. Kozuka
6. Tanaka

Ladies:
1. Asada
2. Miyahara
3. Murakami
4. Nagai
5. Hongo
6. Nagai

Pairs:
1. Suzaki / Kihara
2. Suto / Boudreau-Audet
3. Ono / Killing

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am afraid that the target time for getting your predictions in has now passed.

However, if you still want to enter we will still be accepting predictions for each discipline up until the start of their Short Programme.

By the way, I have updated the Original Post to include the SP Starting Orders, as well as the names of the Skaters in Japanese characters.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Jombi

On the Ice
THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE (official results in japanese)

GOLD with 60 points: HanDomi, matmuh, tulosai, desertskate, mary01
SILVER with 55 points: icebethy, Marin, paperhearts, sashajuliaspins, cathlen, umeko, lydia 1703, daphenaxa, layback11, rosacotton, Weathergal
BRONZE with 50 points: invisiblespiral, dia, apgold, voolfee, NMURA, icekiwi, Hyena, randomfan, eta, Jombi, angy555, Crossover, text_skate

:hap10:

Check your points also here and if you find mistakes let me know :biggrin:

Last edited: