Japanese Nationals 2015-16 Ladies SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2015-16 Ladies SP

gotoschool

Medalist
I am rather upset with Mao's performance, though, watching it, I suppose it couldn't be helped. Her flip is wonky now because she's fixing her lutz and I know it can't be helped. Once her lutz settles, her flip will also settle and then she'll do the 3flip-3loop as well. I know all of this but I'm still upset!!!

I wish Mao could get more support with managing her mental game. I don't think Mr. Sato is very good at that. It's not just with Mao that he's not that great. He's generally not that great with managing the mental aspect of all his athletes, and I know it's kind of hard to ask a man in his 70's to develop a new skill set but if he's a first-rate coach, he ought to develop his ability to manage his athletes' emotions more.

Mao's jumps were beautiful in warm up so I don't think that is the problem. I think her mental resolve and focus is probably vulnerable because she has suffered from repeated illnesses and fatigue and evidently lost weight at the busiest point in the season with so many back to back competitions when she didn't even compete last year. I do agree that it appears she needs someone experienced in managing stress to help her. But, there is nobody more upset by her performance than she is based on her downcast head in the Kiss and Cry, so I just want to sympathize with what she must be feeling and hope that she comes back strong and fighting in Sochi LP style tomorrow. I think Mao has already done way more than enough. I just want her to by satisfied with her performances and cast off the weight of other peoples' expectations.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
What prolonged illness has Mao had? I read she had the stomach flu at GPF but that is usually something that is over quickly.

gotoschool

Medalist
What prolonged illness has Mao had? I read she had the stomach flu at GPF but that is usually something that is over quickly.

In addition to the stomach virus, Mao was also quite ill at the NHK trophy, which the CBC commentators talked about mentioning the appearance of fever, pale complexion, and heavy perspiration, and Coach Sato said Mao had suffered from prolonged fatigue and the inconvenient results of it.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Plus, this is the THIRD competition Mao participated in less than a month. Given her condition in NHK and Barcelona, the long-haul traveling time between Japan and Spain, she really did not have much time to rest and to recover to 100% and even if she does, there is very little time for training and practising.

I would say there is no need to worry about her, she has been through a lot of hard times yet she was always able to give her best performances afterwards. No worries mate!!!

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
1. Satoko Miyahara - 73.24 (39.36, 33.88)
2. Rika Hongo - 68.39 (37.14, 31.25)
3. Wakaba Higuchi - 67.48 (37.54, 29.94)
4. Kanako Murakami - 66.02 (34.33, 31.69)
5. Mao Asada - 62.03 (28.68, 33.35)
6. Yuna Shiraiwa - 61.92 (35.49, 26.43)
7. Yuka Nagai - 60.42 (34.48, 26.94, -1.00)
8. Rin Nitaya - 60.10 (34.35, 25.75)
9. Yuna Aoki - 58.96 (33.04, 25.92)
10. Yura Matsuda - 58.76 (32.24, 26.52)

Just realized - Wakaba got higher TES than Rika and Satoko got higher PCS than Mao

Okay people, I don't now where you are getting your top 10 names! This, according to my perfect Google translation are the the top 10!

1. Miya original intellectual child 73.24
2. This township management Hana 68.39
3. Higuchi new leaf 67.48
4. Village on Kanako 66.02
5. Mao Asada 62.03
6. White rock Yu Nana 61.92
7. Nagai Yu incense 60.42
8. Shintadani Lin 60.10
9. Blue tree Yu Nana 58.96
10. Matsuda Yu good 58.76

:rofl: This made my morning!:rofl2:

PS: Thanks to Solar and others who provided the right translation!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Google translate garbled the names so badly I couldn't tell who was what except that Yuka Nagai got 7th and Wakaba Higuchi got 3rd. What happened?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Okay people, I don't now where you are getting your top 10 names! This, according to my perfect Google translation are the the top 10!

5. Mao Asada 62.03
8. Shintadani Lin 60.10

That's what I got too! Thanks to everyone who told us what actually happened.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States

5. Mao Asada 62.03
8. Shintadani Lin 60.10

I love how it gets Mao Asada right though! And I love "Miya original intellectual child". Matches Satoko well, I think? :laugh:

mary01

Final Flight
I love how it gets Mao Asada right though! And I love "Miya original intellectual child". Matches Satoko well, I think? :laugh:

yes haha like there is one name google translation doesn't dare to mess up and that's Mao Asada, lol as if even the translation program knows who she is

Caustica

Final Flight
yes haha like there is one name google translation doesn't dare to mess up and that's Mao Asada, lol as if even the translation program knows who she is

I'm sure the translation programme actually knows who she is, because the order (last name/first name) is even reversed !

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... there is one name google translation doesn't dare to mess up and that's Mao Asada, lol as if even the translation program knows who she is

Re Google Translate, if anyone would actually like to be helpful -- perish the thought -- instead of posting silly ROFLing at a very handy no-cost auto-translation tool that not so many years ago, no one would have imagined being so easily accessible to the masses:

Why not use your energy and brains to "teach" Google Translate better translations for the names of Japanese skaters (and Russian skaters, etc.)?

That is what the "Suggest an edit" button is for.

Maybe Mao Asada fans have made the effort to use the "Suggest an edit" button to teach Google Translate the correct translation for her name.

I've quoted you, mary01, only because you noted that Google Translate recognizes Mao's name.

This post is for all the smart-alecks making fun of Google Translate. It is not perfect, but why not try to make it better instead of just mocking it?

Last edited:

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
Re Google Translate, if anyone would actually like to be helpful -- perish the thought -- instead of posting silly ROFLing at a very handy no-cost auto-translation tool that not so many years ago, no one would have imagined being so easily accessible to the masses:

Why not use your energy and brains to "teach" Google Translate better translations for the names of Japanese skaters (and Russian skaters, etc.)?

Maybe Mao Asada fans have made the effort to use the "Suggest an edit" button to teach Google Translate the correct translation for her name.

I've quoted you, mary01, only because you noted that Google Translate recognizes Mao's name.

This post is for all the smart-alecks making fun of Google Translate. It is not perfect, but why not try to make it better instead of just mocking it?

Chill :coffee:

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight

Yeah really, chill! It was funny, u have issues with people having innocent laughs at things that are funny?

Sam L

Medalist

5. Mao Asada 62.03
8. Shintadani Lin 60.10

:laugh: Nice job Google translating Kanji names.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Can anyone point me to the protocols? :scratch2:

I'm very curious to find out what levels Mao's spins and steps were, whether New Leaf received an e call on her Flip, etc. etc.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Can anyone point me to the protocols? :scratch2:

I'm very curious to find out what levels Mao's spins and steps were, whether New Leaf received an e call on her Flip, etc. etc.

Don't think there's online protocols to be found, yet. They are usually released after the whole competitions are over by JFS.
But I think for the broadcasting yesterday, ppl in Japan can get to see the detail scores through another local channel(?) or something. Also, I did find journalists sharing photos of some of men's SP protocols via photos. But no ladies' to be found.
I read from twitter that Mao's spins were 3/4/4 for levels. Steps should be 4.

MIM

Medalist
I enjoyed the ladies SP. Especially Satoko, Wakaba, and Kanako.
Satoko was consistent and gorgeous as usual. I just noticed her strong, seductive gaze at the judges during spirals.WOW :love: She is precise, sharp, and committed to the music and program. Best performance of her SP this season. Only nit-pick is her last I-spin. I found it the weakest position. Can she consider changing it to Y-spin or something else?

Wakaba!!!! Her performances at the junior nationals were great, but lacking presentation. I AM AMAZED by her much improved presentation. She looks happy and having fun on the ice. I am so so happy for her. It was a good change to move her layback to the end of the program. She seems comfortable that way.

It is always joy to see Kanako full-on! I love her emotion and excitement on the ice. I see that from Rika, too. But Kana is my girl.:luv17: My only concern is that she seems very subdued in her LP. Wish her best, GO Kana!!