2015-2016 Russian Nationals Mens FS | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Russian Nationals Mens FS

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kolyada is really something! He and Aliev are my reason to watch the Russian men's event.
We can see him at Euros.

I thought he was excellent. Great speed, big jumps, nice spins... Very talented. And I've loved watching Aliev's skates on the JGP. They will definitely give Pitkeev/Kovtun a run for his money come 2018.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, and PCS... oh god, how on Earth someone not being drunk would give him 9s??? for CH, PE etc especially?

Kovtun's PCS was ridiculous but st least he delivered a clean skate and three quads. The worst inflation award ever goes to Plu's 2014 Nationals FS with a worse program, tons of errors, less difficulty... And 95 PCS. :laugh: Gotta love Russian Nats. :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The problem is, that I don't see any strategy in Maxim layout. It's like let's put 3 quads and let's see what will happen :biggrin:

Well, it's Russian jump layouts 101 - hardest elements at the start and then hit those and sell the rest of the program in the 2nd half (of the 2nd half :p).

whatif

Medalist
Haters need to get their story straight. In Women's thread, Medvedeva has been crucified for putting her jumps in the 2nd half.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I think there is definitely an upturn in the Russian Mens field, some exciting new juniors coming on to the scene. Congrats to Kovtun on winning his 3rd straight national title, even if I think he was overmarked and probably should have been second.

I was surprised to see him beat on TES by Kolyada after landing 3 quads but he didn't great GOE on his elements, he gained 6 marks over his BV while Kolyada gained 11 marks. On the PCS side no way did he deserve a 93, I would have had him behind not Kolyada but also Petrov and Gorshkov, who both delivered two very strong performances.

Hopefully Gorshkov gets some GP invites next year, I like his style it's a bit different from the rest of the field while he may not have the big jumps everything is clean and well done. Petrov is definitely on the up and under Mishin a Quad can't be that far off, potentially a future Russian National Champion I think.

Other performances I enjoyed was Shulepov, although he didn't perform his best here. I also enjoyed Bushlanov & Legheev. I was disappointed for Dmitriev, from watching his early season skates, I though the would win the title or be on the podium at the very least but he was a long way of that form here. Also disappointed for Pitkeev, I wonder will he give world Juniors a shot?

Good luck to all 3 in the Europeans