2015-2016 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with you and Sam-Skwantch about everything! And speaking about backloading, I really like her SP music, but doing no elements for the first 30 seconds is pretty irritating, for me at least. She does a spiral, but there is no ChSq in the SP. It's clear that their team just wants a free pass in order to cram all three jumping passes in the second half. If she's starting off with a spin, she should just do it within the first 15 seconds or so and take that spiral completely out of the SP (or at least move it later in the program).

And as I said before, the gap between her and the others is very unnecessary, and seeing this at nationals just makes it even more unfair.

I wonder how Evgenia would score with less tanos and less backloading (esp the short program). Why can’t she at least do 2A in the first half (it’s her weakest jump anyway) and then the combo and the loop in the second half?

She’s in a position where her GOE is +2 +3 so she could ease up on this. I think I know what bugs me about her skating - it’s the way her programs are constructed to game the system which makes them less enjoyable. There’s nothing wrong with spreading out difficulty throughout a program but the way it's done now, it’s not balanced.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I wonder how Evgenia would score with less tanos and less backloading (esp the short program). Why can’t she at least do 2A in the first half (it’s her weakest jump anyway) and then the combo and the loop in the second half?

She’s in a position where her GOE is +2 +3 so she could ease up on this. I think I know what bugs me about her skating - it’s the way her programs are constructed to game the system which makes them less enjoyable. There’s nothing wrong with spreading out difficulty throughout a program but the way it's done now, it’s not balanced.

That bugs me as well. In the second half of both her SP and FS, it's just jumps after jumps so everything seems so excessively repetitive. Then it's hard to focus on the artistry, because of the tanos and everything that is just simply there to maximize the elements.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I agree with this. As much as I'd love to see my Russian and Japanese favorites who usually don't make it to Worlds because their home field is too tough, it's "Worlds". For the benefit of figure skating in most countries, their skaters must have a chance to place well in Worlds.

But shouldn't the best skaters be at Worlds? Only now is there such an unprecedented depth of talent that the top ranked skater competing is unable to compete. First Yulia and now Elizaveta.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
At this point, I won't be surprised if Evgenia beats Yuzuru's WRs at Worlds 2016 if she skates lightsout. LMAO

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I think I know what bugs me about her skating - it’s the way her programs are constructed to game the system which makes them less enjoyable. There’s nothing wrong with spreading out difficulty throughout a program but the way it's done now, it’s not balanced.

It potentially could work... Kanako Murakami had the combo and single triple in the 2nd half in her Prayer for Taylor SP, and that was a beautiful program. I'd think if you construct it right, even having all 3 jumping passes in the 2nd half can give a great program overall. But with Evgenias SP, the problem is that she does so little in the first half and obviously is trying to preserve energy. Then the 2nd half comes and she flips a switch and turns to giving 100%. But by that point she has so little time, it's just jump-jump-jump-spin-spin without any break for choreography in between. She could move one of the spins into the early half too to make more room in the 2nd half, but obviously she won't, because then her legs would be more tired for the jumps. That's one of those cases were IMO, the judges should go down with the CH mark.

I don't find it as much of a problem in the LP though.

Rissa

Record Breaker
But shouldn't the best skaters be at Worlds? Only now is there such an unprecedented depth of talent that the top ranked skater competing is unable to compete. First Yulia and now Elizaveta.

No. Because then top 10 or top 15 will end up being from Russia, Japan and USA (and how about the entire top 10 at Euros being from Russia?) and where will that leave the rest of the world? Very quickly the skaters will get discouraged if they won't be able to get into top 10, funding will be be cut due to lack of good results, sponsors will back out. That will also deplete the pool of talent willing to into skating, which means the sport will completely die in most countries. In my country figure skating is non existent due to lack of successful skaters. Back when we had skaters hovering in the top 10-5, it was broadcast on public TV, now it's not. The vicious circle is fully in place: lack of success causes lack of interest and lack of funds, which causes lack of talented skaters ans/or possibility to train them.

The unprecedented depth of talent in Russia is a result of success of Russian skaters and a good developement program. As long as Russian Skaters are successful, the development program will remain in place and produce more successful skaters.

Sure, it is a bit unfair that a #9 girl in Russia could beat a #4 at Euros or #6 at Worlds, but we should look at it from higher perspective.

It's

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Best part of this Nationals for me was the moment after Yulia's SP skate. It was so full of emotions. :)
Congratulations to Yulia! :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
As usual hohoho it is a Russian Xmas

-> competition :think: :agree:

-> score :laugh2: :handw: :drama:

Cue GS Xmas Karaoke moment

You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Cinquanta's bestbud Lakernik is bring it to hometown~ ♫

He's making a new list
And checking it twice;
He's gonna decide
Who's nought or nice
Cinquanta Claws is bringing it to home town~ ♫

He seethes you when you're sleeping
He ignores you when you're awake
He knows if you've been had but it's too bad
So play dead for goodness sake!

You better watch out!
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Lakernik is cashing it in for hometown ~ ♫

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
At this point, I won't be surprised if Evgenia beats Yuzuru's WRs at Worlds 2016 if she skates lightsout. LMAO
Lol, if she hit 160 internationally, don't forget to call me. We can share our popcorn. :popcorn:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Already having Russian ladies withdrawal. I can't believe it's over already! :sad4:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Anna was a big surprise for me - I didn't have her in my top 6 predictions (otherwise I think I got every placement correct for once!). When she is on - she is great. Nice to see her hug her coach and there was a lot of emotion between the two.

Can anyone beat Medvedeva? This is certainly her year. Not a fan of her 'tanos but she is a great competitor and interprets her music beautifully.

Sorry to see Yulia fall in the rankings but I think this is a rebuilding year for her. Her SP was great and she just needs to get her combos and timing back.

As for Liza - I feel bad for her. Perhaps she should've taken time off last season? She just looks tired and not engaged.

Time for my once-a-week tirade about girl skaters runing away with senior medals. The ISU is fixated on 3 turns and landing with your foot straight. When you weigh 45 kilos and have no body fat and your bone density is that of a child it is easier to get up and around. But these girls are ugly jumpers - bony kinees, crooked legs, strange landings. ISU seems to not care a bout this.

But, the pubic does. They want a complete, adult skater. Why are women continuing to compete beyond 17yo? There will always be some 16 yo skater who adds a point or 2 to her technical (jumping) score and wins.

Senior ladies - 18yo. Not perfect solution, but better than what we have.

Silke

Rinkside
I am not going to say my name because I need to stay anonymous. ...I have judged high levels of figure skating in the past.....I will say that Anna is the most beautiful woman in skating and should me modeling.....also IMHO she is better than most of the US skaters when her jumps are on!,

I agree...she is beautiful....the most beautiful women in the sport world! She is very good and she hasn't express all her potential yet...happy to see how she did well after the difficulties in NHK !

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I really have difficulty understanding these comments. Medvedeva's program is so much more choreo intensive than the other girls' I am not sure how people don't see that ;S As for points, everything every skater does is for points. The biggest offender I can think of would be spins, and I don't think that Medvedeva has any ugly ones. Do people really not prefer a skater at least doing a mediocre spread eagle as a transition over 2-foot skating and circling with a few turns in between every element?

Personally I would be surprised if Medvedeva didn't routinely get at least 75 PCS by the end of the season. Compared to the rest of the current female skaters, she is far, far ahead of them and her program being significantly better than her most significant competitors' can't hurt, either. As for maturity, in my opinion she already is amongst the most mature female skaters artistically. This is about skating and expression, not the way her body is.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Wow at Evgenia's score. Yes, she totally deserves 6 points above the WR... I know nationals scores are usually inflated but really. Hey at least it'll give her confidence going into Euros/Worlds... I do agree she has the best choreo. Her movement is a bit junior but I don't mind. I don't like the choreo of any of the other top Russian skaters, but I do like hers. I do think she should put at least one triple in the first half of her programs though, the lack of balance is unnerving :mad: if she can just give up a few points (she's so far ahead anyway) I'd like her programs a lot more.

On the other hand, go Anna :luv17: I thought she was done but I'm glad she made the team!

karlowens2

On the Ice
I honestly want to thank you for that comment. The spread eagle she does after her lutz always annoys me - she's nearly at a standstill, and it looks just so wrong and clunky! If you have no speed, don't do that! :ddevil:

And I have a similar problem with Evgenia this season. She's a lovely young girl with a lot of talent, but the scores and praise she is getting this season is throwing me off, honestly. People (and the judges) act as if she was Yuna Kim and Carolina Kostner reborn in one person, and she isn't even close to either (which is fine, because she's really young). And I'm most annoyed with the margin she has over the other russian girls - how is she so far ahead of clean Elena and Anna? Yes yes, she backloads, but those 2 girls have real lutzes. 3Lz3T has nearly equal worth to 3F3T in the 2nd half. Both of them have areas in which they are better than Evgenia - but looking at the scores, you'd think they are 2nd rate skaters compared to her. I just don't get it :noshake:

Honestly, many on this site are new to figure skating. It's a form sport like diving and artistic gymnastics. I don't think they can see the difference. I understand they are schooled on things like a half pipe -a trick sport. It's one way figure skating could go, but I hope it doesn't.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, many on this site are new to figure skating. It's a form sport like diving and artistic gymnastics. I don't think they can see the difference. I understand they are schooled on things like a half pipe -a trick sport. It's one way figure skating could go, but I hope it doesn't.

Honestly if Figure Skating wanted to go the way of a being Halfpipe type trick sport we'd really need to start encouraging a heck of a lot more creativity and fun.
https://instagram.com/p/_06EZRnHqI/

I don't think it should matter if people are new to the sport or not TBH. Just because I grew up watching Sasha doesn't make me any more knowledgable when discussing Zhenia. Does it?

karlowens2

On the Ice
Honestly if Figure Skating wanted to go the way of a being Halfpipe type trick sport we'd really need to start encouraging a heck of a lot more creativity and fun.
https://instagram.com/p/_06EZRnHqI/

I don't think it should matter if people are new to the sport or not TBH. Just because I grew up watching Sasha doesn't make me any more knowledgable when discussing Zhenia. Does it?

You don't think? The wines I drink are more subtle than they were whe I was 22 I can tell a jazz pianist with something to say from one copying records they've heard. Why not in sport? I see Med do a spiral and think this is nothing like what Sasha could do. It is not the same quality - and, I think, should not get the same score.

NaVi

Medalist
It makes absolutely no sense to compare them as they serve different choreographic purposes.... and really, the "Medvedeva can't do X like SUPERHEROSKATEKWEEN" is the dumbest way to critique Medvedeva when it's obvious you're ignoring SUPERHEROSKATEKWEEN's weaknesses.

karlowens2

On the Ice
It makes absolutely no sense to compare them as they serve different choreographic purposes.... and really, the "Medvedeva can't do X like SUPERHEROSKATEKWEEN" is the dumbest way to critique Medvedeva when it's obvious you're ignoring SUPERHEROSKATEKWEEN's weaknesses.

I'm not dumb.