2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Well, I hope this means Patrick is back. He needs to be back at peak form so we can have more Yuzu vs. Patrick. It's this generations Mao/Yuna, Orser/Boitano, etc.

I do love his glide and easy speed. He is a wizard with the blade.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This makes me sad...
I understand his frustration.
He came back to his last year's SP, but I could not recognize it. It looked like he got a brand new program yesterday. He does not look as comfortable or confident as he was with this program last season. I understand his struggles with jumps, but his skating, presentation, and performance abilities are also affected. He seems like wanting to depart from the cutesy and funky style he had up until last season, but still searching for a new style he can move on to.

He is at the right age to concern and struggle with those issues, and he is a hard worker. He will get his jumps back eventually. But I really want him to find his style that his grown body and mind can comfortably settle in. Putting too much pressure on himself is not going to help him out. The answer can be quite near him already. GO Nam!!!

I wouldn't worry about Nam because of a bad day or a difficult phase. He has a trained mind that he knows how to use, the love for and dedication to skating, family support, and a great coach to guild him to greater success. Sure he has to adjust to a new body and different situations along the way but the main thing is to not pollute his mind because of these new pressures and challenges but to rely on his mental strength that has served him so well since a very young age. He will overcome his obstacles unlike those with unresolved issues in their lives and minds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This makes me sad...
I understand his frustration.
He came back to his last year's SP, but I could not recognize it. It looked like he got a brand new program yesterday. He does not look as comfortable or confident as he was with this program last season. I understand his struggles with jumps, but his skating, presentation, and performance abilities are also affected. He seems like wanting to depart from the cutesy and funky style he had up until last season, but still searching for a new style he can move on to.

He is at the right age to concern and struggle with those issues, and he is a hard worker. He will get his jumps back eventually. But I really want him to find his style that his grown body and mind can comfortably settle in. Putting too much pressure on himself is not going to help him out. The answer can be quite near him already. GO Nam!!!

I read the same article and sadly compared to say Nathan Chen the cards for Nam in respect to growth pattern is not helpful to top notch skating. He is a hard worker and the fact he is still able to compete reasonable well says a lot but he may become a victim o f this growth. I do not like the hate towards liam though I think in the long we will see him not score so well comparatively if he does not up the jump ante (content). Nice to see kevin trying quads:) he actually would have been more stellar had he landed the triple axel. If Nam is struggling too much with the height issue / growth it would be nice to see Kevin regain his form and go with Chan to earn or try to earn 3 spots for Canada. Canada truly is going to give the US a run for their money - though ironically when it comes to world's these two countries could have a lot of power into whether either gets three men for 2017.

kresslia

Medalist
I read the same article and sadly compared to say Nathan Chen the cards for Nam in respect to growth pattern is not helpful to top notch skating. He is a hard worker and the fact he is still able to compete reasonable well says a lot but he may become a victim o f this growth. I do not like the hate towards liam though I think in the long we will see him not score so well comparatively if he does not up the jump ante (content). Nice to see kevin trying quads:) he actually would have been more stellar had he landed the triple axel. If Nam is struggling too much with the height issue / growth it would be nice to see Kevin regain his form and go with Chan to earn or try to earn 3 spots for Canada. Canada truly is going to give the US a run for their money - though ironically when it comes to world's these two countries could have a lot of power into whether either gets three men for 2017.
I don't understand the USA comparison? Run for its money in what? I look at Yuzuru, Fernandez and Ten as our competition in men's, not really the American skaters.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
LMAO! :laugh: And there it is, people. The begrudging "compliment" followed by the attempt to trivialize it.

I'm surprised your head didn't spontaneously combust complimenting it, and as merely a "good" skate at that.

And obviously that score won't hold up internationally. You think Hanyu will (or rather, deserves to) get 102 with a fall, or Fernandez will get 48 PCS, like they got at Nationals?

(Not to mention, the GPF judges clearly had their uppers that weekend and were excessively generous to clean skates with marks you'll never see from any legitimately critical judging panel (that goes for S/K, Medvedeva and W/P) -- same goes with high PCS for bad skates from popular skaters - see Chan's & D/R's SP and Mao's & Gracie's FS PCS.
Well I actually think if the judges are fair Chan should get this kind of score internationally if hanyu can get 110. Come on -yes Hanyu has harder elements but Chan should edge him at least if not more for pcs if they are clean and even if you were generous and gave hanyu both 7 points is a lot so 103 and change is not impossible or fair internationally. The judges for whatever reason improvement, too many good skaters so you end up raising marks whatever are giving far higher pcs to skaters who truly are good, maybe great but not of the masterful skils of Lambiel, Buttle or Chan - Hanyu is getting there I think but Fernandez, Ten, Yan, Brown et al are not the same brilliance - though I think Hanyu might be there (I get intimidated by the uber hanyuites.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think he is talking about getting spots for the following year... not necessarily winning the event. if Chan were to medal, a good finish by the second skater would give Canada 3 spots.... combined to Yuzu, Shoma, Fernandez,Ten and perhaps a Russian or even Ge... that could make it very difficult for the Americans to place two skaters high enough for qualifying spots... I am just "thinking" that's what Skater Boy meant... but what do I know ;)
I don't understand the USA comparison? Run for its money in what? I look at Yuzuru, Fernandez and Ten as our competition in men's, not really the American skaters.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well I actually think if the judges are fair Chan should get this kind of score internationally if hanyu can get 110. Come on -yes Hanyu has harder elements but Chan should edge him at least if not more for pcs if they are clean and even if you were generous and gave hanyu both 7 points is a lot so 103 and change is not impossible or fair internationally. The judges for whatever reason improvement, too many good skaters so you end up raising marks whatever are giving far higher pcs to skaters who truly are good, maybe great but not of the masterful skils of Lambiel, Buttle or Chan - Hanyu is getting there I think but Fernandez, Ten, Yan, Brown et al are not the same brilliance - though I think Hanyu might be there (I get intimidated by the uber hanyuites.)

First of all. Chan can hit 100 internationally. The only element he was overscored really here is 3A. No way he should be getting almost 2.5 GOE for it compared to Hanyu ( I am talking about international situation). I am not going to PCS discussion, because in myopinion Hanyu has hands down way better short than Patrick with much, much harder transitions leading to big jumps like no one.

I guess internationally Chan would get 101 for that.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
LMAO! :laugh: And there it is, people. The begrudging "compliment" followed by the attempt to trivialize it.

I'm surprised your head didn't spontaneously combust complimenting it, and as merely a "good" skate at that.

And obviously that score won't hold up internationally. You think Hanyu will (or rather, deserves to) get 102 with a fall, or Fernandez will get 48 PCS, like they got at Nationals?

(Not to mention, the GPF judges clearly had their uppers that weekend and were excessively generous to clean skates with marks you'll never see from any legitimately critical judging panel (that goes for S/K, Medvedeva and W/P) -- same goes with high PCS for bad skates from popular skaters - see Chan's & D/R's SP and Mao's & Gracie's FS PCS.

My head is still intact, thanks. There was no trivialization. I congratulated him on his first non-bombed SP this season. Do I like the program? No. With one quad and one 3A, Patrick never managed over 100 and Yuzu only did once. Now all of a sudden a program with that tech content can seemingly get well over 100 regularly? People opine about how great his skating skills are which I agree. However I can say the same for tech. Do his jumps have the same quality as Yuzu? No. Transitions? No. Many of the spins? Not really those either. His FS is much better than this odd SP, for me.

And you missed the point again. The math is there. With how the scoring system is, Yuzu could have one whole jumping pass invalidated and still have a TES of 50 of so point = a SP comfortably in the 90s. Of course a fall will give him about 100.

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty

:rolleye:

He deserve that score even with a fall. His clean SP is worth 105-110, so a fall on a ROTATED quad (and he has two quads) would still score him over 100.

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
It makes me angry that Chan, with one quad and weird axel, is so close to Yuzuru´s NHK 2-quad sp record :dev2: :angry1:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
With one quad and one 3A, Patrick never managed over 100 and Yuzu only did once. Now all of a sudden a program with that tech content can seemingly get well over 100 regularly?

Taking the comparison to Yuzu aside, Chan scored about 101 at Nationals already in 2012. So at least for nationals, Patrick scoring 100+ isn't new. But back then, the next clean SP internationally gave him 98+.

I'd expect him to get around 100-101 internationally.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Having digested most of the skates now, I can't get over how overscored Liam Firus was. Fantastic skating skills, but he had issues on all 3 jumping passes. I don't know why the CDN judges keep holding him up when its hard to have any confidence in him as a competitor on the international stage. Liam is not the guy I want at Worlds to help earn back the 3rd spot. I question whether he'd make it to the LP.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:rolleye:

He deserve that score even with a fall. His clean SP is worth 105-110, so a fall on a ROTATED quad (and he has two quads) would still score him over 100.

I suppose then you think Medvedeva deserves to score 142-145 points if she has one rotated fall in her FS, because a clean skate otherwise gets her 148. :rolleye:

Nobody deserves 100 points with a FALL. They shouldn't get enough PCS to put them above 100 if they have a major error like that.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I suppose then you think Medvedeva deserves to score 142-145 points if she has one rotated fall in her FS, because a clean skate otherwise gets her 148. :rolleye:

Lol it's like I accidentally predicted her Euros FS.

But yeah, people need to stop being like "105 is fine with a fall because they usually get 110" or "143 is fine with a fall because they usually get 148".

I suppose we should use Mordovian Ornament and Sochi as barometers of what skaters should score - minus 3-5 points if they fall.