2016 Team Challenge Cup - Gen Info/Pre-chat | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup - Gen Info/Pre-chat

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Team Challenge Cup (new event in 2016)

Team Challenge Cup (new ISU-sanctioned event in 2016): format and dates [now Apr 22-24]

ETA (on Apr 25, 2016) for future reference:
... The event, organized by U.S. Figure Skating, is an International Skating Union-sanctioned international event. The scores earned during the head-to-head competition will not count toward ISU’s personal or season’s best. ...

Re the new "Figure Skating Challenge Cup (invitational)" event (in TBA, USA) that had showed up on the 2015-16 ISU calendar PDF published in May:

The dates in the ISU doc are Apr 15-17, 2016.
And the same dates are on the ISU event page for the comp:
USA Invitational Challenge Cup (invitational)
15 - 17 Apr 2016
TBD, United States
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...4/usa-invitational-challenge-cup-invitational (now-obsolete URL; new one has been added below)​

ETA (on Dec 23):

The URL for the ISU event page has changed to:

The announcement for the comp is posted there (thanks to TheGrandSophy for flagging):

ETA (on Mar 12):
The latest and greatest URL for the ISU event page is:

What seems to be the same comp is described in an article today -- which has some format details as well as new dates (emphasis added).

In brief: Spokane a finalist for ice-skating event

Spokane is in the running to host the first Team Challenge Cup from April 22-24 in 2016.

In the Team Challenge, skaters will compete for one of three teams: Team North America, Team Europe or Team Asia.

Each team will have three women, three men, two pair teams and two ice dancer teams, according to a letter from U.S. Figure Skating.

Participants will be selected after the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships.

... U.S. Figure Skating will announce the winning city in September.

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jul/18/in-brief-spokane-a-finalist-for-ice-skating-event/ (Jul 18)​

Mods:
I purposely am posting this thread in The Edge because the event and the format are new.
Not intending this thread to serve as the competition thread.

ETA, turns out the Spokane Spokesman site originally got the dates wrong :bang:.

A different version of the article from what I originally posted now gives the dates as "April 22-24 in 2016."
This article was corrected on July 18, 2015 to correct the dates of the event. They initially were incorrect due to an editor’s error.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jul/17/spokane-finalist-host-new-ice-skating-championship/

This OP originally quoted the incorrect dates of Aug 3-7, 2016, as published on the Spokesman site.

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Interesting. I see this as good news -- it's kind of like the Japan Open's format, in that it allows skaters like Javier, Denis, Tomas, Misha, and even many of the Europeans compete in a "team like" event that isn't just stacked heavily toward the big five figure skating countries (Russia, US, Canada, Japan, China). It's even really good news for Japan and China, who will likely be the entirety of the Asia team (barring the inclusion of Park So-youn) -- can you imagine a team headlined by the Japanese singles skaters and the Chinese pairs skaters? Now they used need some Dance on that continent haha

As a skating fan this should also be hugely exciting -- I lovedddd watching the World Team Trophy and how much FUN it is. It really makes skating competitions feel less stuffy. It's no pressure, everyone is supporting EVERYONE.

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
That sounds like a promising format :D Definitely better than only the big 5 skating countries. Japanese singles skaters + chinese pairs skaters indeed sounds intriguing.

I also like the idea of Candadian men (Patrick and Nam + maybe Jason or Josh) + US ladies (Karen chen, Ashley, Gracie, Polina)

or French ice dance + Russian singles ladies :D

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Turns out the Spokane site got the dates wrong :bang:.

A different version of the article now gives the dates as "April 22-24 in 2016."

This article was corrected on July 18, 2015 to correct the dates of the event. They initially were incorrect due to an editor’s error.

I will update the OP.

ETA, the wrong dates were published also in the print version of the newspaper. A correction note was published here:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It would be so cool if it's in Spokane! That's only a few hours away from me.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
So it would be held on opposite years from the World Team Trophy? I love that idea...assuming it turns out well. And any chance to see overseas skaters in the US is a huge positive in my book.

Spokane is a lot closer to me than Boston...I'm not sure yet if Worlds can fit in my budget, but this would be doable, I think. Any idea what the other candidate cities are?

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This seems REALLY cool! Hmmmmm. Wonder if the DC area will finally get some love again after a drought since 2003 (With Worlds)? Haha. I know it's far-fetched.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It would be so cool if it's in Spokane! That's only a few hours away from me.

And now I see that Spokane appears to be a done deal [ETA: but see update below] -- if this third-party website is to be believed:

Emphases added below:

The site says that it is "the Official Ticket Exchange Provider, Hospitality & VIP Experience Provider of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the ISU World Figure Skating Championships and the Team Challenge Cup of Figure Skating."

And its schedule already says:

U.S. Figure Skating Championships
Xcel Energy Center - Saint Paul, MN
January 15-24, 2016

ISU World Figure Skating Championships
TD Garden - Boston, MA
March 28 - April 3, 2016

Team Challenge Cup of Figure Skating
Spokane Arena - Spokane, WA
April 22-24, 2016

ETA, update as of Jul 31:
The primesport page has been taken down.
Its removal suggests that either that Spokane is not a done deal or that it was premature to make public mention that Spokane will be the location.​

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Whoa, I also might actually be able to go to this one! It sounds interesting. I wonder what the skaters think of it. It seems like a good idea to have an extra, more light-hearted competition after Worlds every season (as opposed to every other), especially if there's a decent prize attached to this one like there is to WTT.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW:
Team Challenge Cup is not shown on IN's April 2016 coverage calendar. (At least not yet???)​

The events already shown on IN's April 2016 calendar http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2016/04/:

Mar. 28 - Apr. 3
2016 World Figure Skating Championships

Apr. 5 - Apr. 9
2016 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships (on-demand coverage, BTW)

Apr. 8 - Apr. 9
2016 World Synchronized Skating Championships (live coverage)​

ETA, update as of Dec 23:

Team Challenge Cup has been added to IN's schedule:

And as previously noted in this thread, CBS will televise highlights. (Yes, CBS.)​

Last edited:
...It's even really good news for Japan and China, who will likely be the entirety of the Asia team (barring the inclusion of Park So-youn) -- can you imagine a team headlined by the Japanese singles skaters and the Chinese pairs skaters? Now they (just) need some Dance on that continent haha

Denis Ten would be on the Asian team, too. As for ice dancers, I think the highest-finishers from Asia at 2015 worlds were Agafonova (who is actually Ukrainian/Russian) & Ucar, representing Turkey.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And any chance to see overseas skaters in the US is a huge positive in my book. ...

Occurs to me that Team Challenge Cup only adds to the embarrassment of riches :) for the U.S. in the 2015-16 season -- with JGP Colorado Springs and Worlds in Boston :).
Plus the new Philadelphia Summer International and Lake Placid Ice Dance International :). [Although not sure whether any entries are from outside North America.]
Plus the perennial SLC Classic and Skate America :). Just read elsewhere on GS that Japan is sending Shoma, Satoko, and Kanako to SLC this year? And Daisuke M. was on the SLC podium last year.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Denis Ten would be on the Asian team, too. As for ice dancers, I think the highest-finishers from Asia at 2015 worlds were Agafonova (who is actually Ukrainian/Russian) & Ucar, representing Turkey.

i wonder which team turkey would be representing if they were to be invited since they join EC instead of 4CC, but it would be great if they were given a chance ( :hijacked: kinda hoping they might get GP spot, what are the requirements? )

Eclair

Medalist
Let's play it through: Asian team would consists of: Hanyu, Dennis Ten and (Shoma, Boyang, Han yan, Kozuka, Misha Ge or Daisuke), then for the ladies: Mao, Satoko and (Rika, Zijun or Soyoun), for pairs: Sui/Han, Han/Cong and a third chinese pair team and for dance: ???
But that's one strong team :D

For the North Americans it's: Patrick, Nam and Jason/Josh, for ladies: Ashley, Gracie, Karen or Polina, for pairs: Duhamel/Radford, Scmeca/Knierm and another American pairs team, and for dance weaver/Poje, maybe Shibsibs or some other fairly strong dance teams.

And for Europe: Javier, Kovtun and Adian Pietkiev, for ladies: Liza, Elena and ( Julia, Adelina, Serafima, maybe Kiira or Meite) and for Pairs: Volozhazar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov and some third russian pair or the italian pair, for dance: Papadazki/Ciceron, the italian dance team, that won worlds 2014, and one russian dance team.

This looks like it could be an exciting competition :) with Asia probably winning in Mens, North America or Asia winning in pairs, all three team have an even chance in the ladies segment and Europe or North America winning dance :)