2016 Team Challenge Cup - Gen Info/Pre-chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup - Gen Info/Pre-chat

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I really hope skaters aren't forced to do it against their will like for WTT.

Let's play it through: Asian team would consists of: Hanyu, Dennis Ten and (Shoma, Boyang, Han yan, Kozuka, Misha Ge or Daisuke), then for the ladies: Mao, Satoko and (Rika, Zijun or Soyoun), for pairs: Sui/Han, Han/Cong and a third chinese pair team and for dance: ???
But that's one strong team :D

For the North Americans it's: Patrick, Nam and Jason/Josh, for ladies: Ashley, Gracie, Karen or Polina, for pairs: Duhamel/Radford, Scmeca/Knierm and another American pairs team, and for dance weaver/Poje, maybe Shibsibs or some other fairly strong dance teams.

And for Europe: Javier, Kovtun and Adian Pietkiev, for ladies: Liza, Elena and ( Julia, Adelina, Serafima, maybe Kiira or Meite) and for Pairs: Volozhazar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov and some third russian pair or the italian pair, for dance: Papadazki/Ciceron, the italian dance team, that won worlds 2014, and one russian dance team.

This looks like it could be an exciting competition :) with Asia probably winning in Mens, North America or Asia winning in pairs, all three team have an even chance in the ladies segment and Europe or North America winning dance :)

Competition format is 3 for ladies, 3 for men, 2 for pairs, 2 for ice dance.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh look, another competition for the big countries. Sigh.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
This looks like it could be an exciting competition :) with Asia probably winning in Mens, North America or Asia winning in pairs, all three team have an even chance in the ladies segment and Europe or North America winning dance :)

I see it differently: Europe (Russia) winning the ladies (no doubts), Asia or NA winning the men, Europe winning the pairs (if VT are in and supported by SK), and NA fighting with Europe in dance. Don't know how they will count but looks like Asia will be struggling to not to be the last because they do not have anyone in dance while Europe has Javier in men and NA has DR in pairs.

Of course, the question is whether there is going to be adequate motivation for the leaders to there after the worlds. If not, anything can happen.

Isn't it more a competition for the top individuals, whatever their country. Fernandez and Ten have a pretty good chance to be invited.

I see it differently: Europe (Russia) winning the ladies (no doubts), Asia or NA winning the men, Europe winning the pairs (if VT are in…

For men, Hanyu and Ten and somebody else should be able to hold off North America, unless Patrick Chan can come back at 2013 strength. V&T Should dominate if, again, they are the V&T of old and don't run out of gas in 2015-16.

Don't know how they will count but looks like Asia will be struggling to not to be the last because they do not have anyone in dance while Europe has Javier in men and NA has DR in pairs.

If they add just add up the points, the Asian dance teams might get only half as much as the winners. Most likely it will be ordinal placements, which should give Asia more of a chance. A rejuvenated Mao Asada could surprise people and grab an ordinal or two from Russia..

Of course, the question is whether there is going to be adequate motivation for the leaders to there after the worlds. If not, anything can happen.

gravy said:
I really hope skaters aren't forced to do it against their will like for WTT.

If they can offer big cash prizes, that should guarantee that at least some of the top names will be willing to compete. Even if they don't take it too seriously, they will still want to do their best to put on a good show.

This is advertised as an "invitational" competition. This could mean that the ISU will be expecting the USFSA and the local organizing committee and provate sponsors to pick up most of the tab, including prize money. In that case they might try to invite skaters that they know will be popular draws, rather than necessarily the skaters that do best at 2016 worlds. I doubt that the ISU will coerce individual skaters to participate if they don't want to.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Is there any detailed criteria for the selections? I'm hoping that some skaters from smaller countries who don't participate in WTT will get a chance. If they only choose the top 3 from each continent then some of the skaters who are mid ranked from smaller nations might get left out (Eg in the ladies Asia = Japan, North America = USA and Europe = Russia). Misha Ge was one of the ones who floated around the idea of a Team United during the WTT, if the men ended up being 2 from Japan and Denis then he wouldn't get a chance to go. Same with the ladies, I can see girls like Elizabet Tursynbaeva, So Youn Park getting left out.

NaVi

Medalist

Is there any detailed criteria for the selections? I'm hoping that some skaters from smaller countries who don't participate in WTT will get a chance. If they only choose the top 3 from each continent then some of the skaters who are mid ranked from smaller nations might get left out (Eg in the ladies Asia = Japan, North America = USA and Europe = Russia). Misha Ge was one of the ones who floated around the idea of a Team United during the WTT, if the men ended up being 2 from Japan and Denis then he wouldn't get a chance to go. Same with the ladies, I can see girls like Elizabet Tursynbaeva, So Youn Park getting left out.

The format is fair to countries outside major feds(more so than the WTT) and it needs to be something that's actually watchable by modern audiences(outside of Japan). Misha Ge would have no doubt made it under the rules if it were held this year(hence, he should be able to make it again)... Tursynbaeva and So Youn Park both have a long way to go to prove themselves. And for better or worse, I think it's very likely that there will be situations where say the #4(or #3 in pairs/dance) skater at world's within a qualifying group is chosen instead of the #3 skaters for diversity and/or marketability reasons.

Eclair

Medalist
Competition format is 3 for ladies, 3 for men, 2 for pairs, 2 for ice dance.

Thanks for the correction, I pnly scimmed through the format rules

I honestly don't understand your logic. If Broklee Han was amongst the top in the world, her chance of participating for Team Asia would be just evenly big, as for every other skater out there, no matter if from a big or small skating federation.
Same goes for Misha, Dennis, Soyoun, Zijung etc.

Eclair

Medalist
I see it differently: Europe (Russia) winning the ladies (no doubts), Asia or NA winning the men, Europe winning the pairs (if VT are in and supported by SK), and NA fighting with Europe in dance. Don't know how they will count but looks like Asia will be struggling to not to be the last because they do not have anyone in dance while Europe has Javier in men and NA has DR in pairs.

Are you sure about the russian ladies winnning this? :p With Mao returning and Karen Chens debut senior season? Also if (though very unlikeley) Gracie skates clean ... and who knows, maybe Ashley can pull off another upping up of her content :cheer:

Also Duhamel and Radford are the reigning world champions and their technical content is harder, than that of V/T. And with Sui/Han being world silver medalists, they're sure to get a PCS boost + their technical content (also higher, than that of V/T) the result is far from engraved in stone ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
The date is so close to WTT. I think Japanese top men and ladies will not be sent to this one as JSF only want them on home ice at WTT.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Are you sure about the russian ladies winnning this? :p With Mao returning and Karen Chens debut senior season? Also if (though very unlikeley) Gracie skates clean ... and who knows, maybe Ashley can pull off another upping up of her content :cheer:

Also Duhamel and Radford are the reigning world champions and their technical content is harder, than that of V/T. And with Sui/Han being world silver medalists, they're sure to get a PCS boost + their technical content (also higher, than that of V/T) the result is far from engraved in stone ;)

There are many "if"s. The two biggest are whether all top skaters are going to come and in what shape the returning stars: Mao, Adelina, Yulia, Patrick, and V/T are going to be. If it is yes to the first one and "top shape" to the second I see Patrick fighting with Yuzuru (last Japan open he was very convincing) and Jason with Denis Ten in men. In pairs V/T claim to beef up their tech content. If successful they are just the best. Mao, of course, will shoot for gold at every competition. But we remember Olympics - 2 bombed SPs. And if she was at her best in Saitama Liza will be apparently higher next season with 3 3As and without harsh edge and UR calls. Maos 3-5 point combined pcs advantage (if) won't be enough. Other than Mao there are only hopes that someone could theoretically do something. Karen Chen is yet to show one good competition, Gracie and Ashley - we all wait. Lena was beaten only once by Satoko when she was sick. And surely my biggest hopes are with the amazing Yulia who will be much better prepared this time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The date is so close to WTT. I think Japanese top men and ladies will not be sent to this one as JSF only want them on home ice at WTT.

There is no WTT next year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Meoima

Match Penalty
The event is held every two years, however the ISU World Team Trophy 2011 was postponed until 2012 due to the series of natural disasters that took place in Japan in March 2011.

karne is correct that no WTT is scheduled for 2016.
See the ISU's 2015-2016 calendar PDF in the OP. No WTT for 2016.

Edit: sorry I have just checked. No WTT this season. So I am all for the team challenge. I like the format. 3 men and 3 ladies, 2 pairs and 2 ice dance right?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
The format is fair to countries outside major feds(more so than the WTT) and it needs to be something that's actually watchable by modern audiences(outside of Japan). Misha Ge would have no doubt made it under the rules if it were held this year(hence, he should be able to make it again)... Tursynbaeva and So Youn Park both have a long way to go to prove themselves. And for better or worse, I think it's very likely that there will be situations where say the #4(or #3 in pairs/dance) skater at world's within a qualifying group is chosen instead of the #3 skaters for diversity and/or marketability reasons.

Misha Ge would have made it this year but wasn't Takahito Mura injured at this year's Worlds? If he skates like Skate Canada again then Misha Ge could be out of a spot, there's also Shoma Uno to think about too

and Elizabet and So Youn do need to be developed further but I think team events such as this would be really good for them to get more experience, if they improve in the future to top 10 Worlds skaters they still might see themselves out of a spot because of the Japanese ladies and maybe Zijun who all have opportunities to go to WTT

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
They just announced this competition yesterday - it doesn't take place for 9 more months and people are already speculating about who will win and who will be left out? Off season boredom? Who knows what will happen next season...I hope it's not as predictable as some of you seem to think, or it will be awfully boring.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They just announced this competition yesterday - it doesn't take place for 9 more months and people are already speculating about who will win and who will be left out? Off season boredom? Who knows what will happen next season...I hope it's not as predictable as some of you seem to think, or it will be awfully boring.

And furthermore, "announced" is not even the right word.
The article in the OP is a far cry from an official announcement (even a preliminary announcement) from USFS or the ISU.

So I heartily agree that it is premature to make any serious attempt at reading the very few tea leaves on the Spokane news site (which are the result of a PR pitch by the hopeful Spokane organizers, I believe).
As Mathman emphasized above, the comp is an invitational. Plus we don't know what other rules it might have, and whether prize money will be at stake.

No complaint from me if people are just having fun casually chatting about the possibilities re who will receive and accept invitations -- as long as we all remain mindful that for the time being, any speculation is based on incomplete information :yes:.

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

FS fans always go mental during off-season. Any mention of a competition is like a mirage to us- we get excited because we're desperate here :p