Koshiro Shimada | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Koshiro Shimada

icetug

Medalist
Japanese TV made this video about Koshiro partly during Mie Hamada team camp in Champery. Koshiro talks about his life there and shows his apartment. It's a presentation before Junior Nationals to be held next weekend, Nov 23-25.

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Is there anyone who can translate what he is saying? I enjoyed the video a lot still, even though I hardly understood anything... 😅🙏
A thought that I had while watching was: Well after what happend with yuzu yesterday... here is a reason to still look forward to the GPF ❤️

icetug

Medalist
Koshiro's already in Japan, with Robert.
Enjoying Japanese meal :)
Good luck at Jr Nationals!

Is there anyone who can translate what he is saying? I enjoyed the video a lot still, even though I hardly understood anything... ����
Recently I start thinking it's high time for me to learn Japanese :laugh:
Hope we get at least a rough translation. Nevertheless it's great to see his Swiss environment.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Is there anyone who can translate what he is saying? I enjoyed the video a lot still, even though I hardly understood anything... 😅🙏
A thought that I had while watching was: Well after what happend with yuzu yesterday... here is a reason to still look forward to the GPF ❤️

I just registered here yesterday only to share the content of the video. It's great to hear he has already had fans outside Japan!
Hopefully my translation makes sense...but if it doesn't, just let me know.
(Feel free to correct mistakes if you find any.)

Making a Comeback: Koshiro Shimada

August, Switzerland
About an hour and a half drive from Geneva Airport to Champery.
Last spring, he left Japan by himself for Champery and started training with Stéphane Lambiel in Champéry, Switzerland.

Lambiel talks about Koshiro in French
(Japanese translation says Lambiel finds that Koshiro's been in control and he is satisfied with Koshiro's growth, but needs more practices for elegance and richer expressions. They've been practicing lots of quads together.)

Koshiro & Dennis together

Yuna Shiraiwa, Yuto Kishina appear with Koshiro.
Reporter: "Are you classmates(in the same year)?"
Yuna: "Yeah, we are the same age."

Team Hamada, including Satoko Miyahara, Yuna Shiraiwa, Rika Kihira, came to Champery for summer camp.

Satoko: "Tastes good, doesn't it?" *and runs*
Yuto: "This rice... it tastes some sort of a herb."
Koshiro: "Definitely not a herb, or is it?"
Yuto: "What is it then?"
Koshiro: "Dunno."
R: "So, two of the Okayama trio" (Sena Miyake is missing)
Koshiro: "are now in Switzerland?"
Yuto: "Gee, that sounds cool." (being sarcastic)
Koshiro: "Now the Swiss atmosphere is all gone."
Yuto: "So true."

Born and raised in Ehime prefecture, Koshiro moved to Okayama for an all-year rink when he was an elementary student.
Placed 1st at Japan Novice A in 2013
Placed 2nd at Japan Junior in 2016
But withdrawn from Japan Junior last season due to injury (adductor muscle? of his left leg/foot).

R: "Your arms appear to have grown big(thick)."
Koshiro: "Yes, my arms and the upper part of my body grew pretty much. The lower body too, like one size larger."

Restarting 2018-2019
To his apartment where he lives with his roommates.

Koshiro: "I think it's alright (to record the shared part of their apartment on vid), if only slightly."
Koshiro: "Kitchen. They(Koshiro does not mention who, but probably his mom) send me rice, paying extra efforts and send me some new harvest even. When I run out of ideas like what to cook, then I just cook rice and eat it."
Koshiro: "Nothing special at all in my room, really. I actually wanted to make it fashionable, but you know, it's costly to buy furniture here."
R: "Is this supposed to be 'full-lighting'?"
Koshiro: "The main light is broken right now. One of many things to worry about...[laugh]"
R: "But it's dark!?"
Koshiro: "I know, but I'm mostly gone in the daytime, and it's bright enough during day anyways. So, this is all I got after dark. So sad. [laugh]"
Koshiro: "This is just from an ordinary store. When I was back in Japan, I said 'something like this may be good (for my room)' and here, they sent it to me right away. So, this is the only green in my room."

He came to Switzerland to skate.

Koshiro: "Having spent one year, I'm getting used to it here now. There are still a lot of improvements to make, like English, diet, and so on. But finally I'm able to have fun, without any concerns or worries, it feels like at last I can live my life the way I like."
Koshiro: "Right now, the Japanese skaters are here and they inspire me. It's incredibly fun every day. Like, I've talked with my roomemates, Luk (from England) and Matilda (from Sweden) after practice, and they agreed that it's a valuable and great opportunity to have them here. If you stay in Champery alone, you can't see the outside world. I do know their skills/abilities since I was in Japan and they have inspired me a lot too, but it's even better when we have them and skate here together. I'm very grateful, and I feel tense and more determined (in a good way)."

Koshiro: "When I first came here. It was just meant to be a casual try-out for a few months only. Just trying out only for a short period of time and then I was supposed to decide what to do. Yeah, it really started like that. But for some reason I stayed. So many things I can learn, I wanted to stay longer, and here I am to stay. Now I live with well-determined skaters from different countries. It was harder when I lived here alone. By living with other competitive skaters who inspire me, I gain a lot and learn various things like what others do, how and when, like stretching, cooking, and all sorts of stuff. So, I need them, can't live without them now. I'm so grateful that they're here with me."

R: "Your last year..."
Koshiro: "Yeah, it was a very disappointing and frustrating season last year. But I've been able to train and practice a lot more for that. Polishing my skating, spins, jumps, and I'm enjoying a fruitful life everyday now. I anticipate my trip back to Japan every time, so I'd also like to enjoy competitions doing my best."
R: "So, for your fans who are waiting for you in Japan, which phrase would you like to say to them, 'Thanks for waiting' or 'I'm back'?"
Koshiro: "Hmm, I'd like to say 'I'm doing fine' rather than 'I'm back', maybe."

A competition in Japan after a long absence of a year and a half.
He landed a quad-toeloop at his first try in a competition.
Placed 3rd.

Koshiro: "Most of all, it's too frustrating and disappointing. I'll have to try harder at Japan Junior. I think it was a good experience for me today."
Koshiro: "I couldn't land it neither at the 6-min practice nor during the public practice. I thought I just had to give it a shot with all my might. But I didn't realize I did it until the audience raised a cheer and surprised me. That encouraged me as well. The next step for me is to win the 1st place, but for the time being, I'm glad that I got on a podium this time."

~Fin~

fourthdimension

On the Ice
I just registered here yesterday only to share the content of the video. It's great to hear he has already had fans outside Japan!
Hopefully my translation makes sense...but if it doesn't, just let me know.
(Feel free to correct mistakes if you find any.)

Making a Comeback: Koshiro Shimada

August, Switzerland
About an hour and a half drive from Geneva Airport to Champery.
Last spring, he left Japan by himself for Champery and started training with Stéphane Lambiel in Champéry, Switzerland.

Lambiel talks about Koshiro in French
(Japanese translation says Lambiel finds that Koshiro's been in control and he is satisfied with Koshiro's growth, but needs more practices for elegance and richer expressions. They've been practicing lots of quads together.)

Koshiro & Dennis together

Yuna Shiraiwa, Yuto Kishina appear with Koshiro.
Reporter: "Are you classmates(in the same year)?"
Yuna: "Yeah, we are the same age."

Team Hamada, including Satoko Miyahara, Yuna Shiraiwa, Rika Kihira, came to Champery for summer camp.

Satoko: "Tastes good, doesn't it?" *and runs*
Yuto: "This rice... it tastes some sort of a herb."
Koshiro: "Definitely not a herb, or is it?"
Yuto: "What is it then?"
Koshiro: "Dunno."
R: "So, two of the Okayama trio" (Sena Miyake is missing)
Koshiro: "are now in Switzerland?"
Yuto: "Gee, that sounds cool." (being sarcastic)
Koshiro: "Now the Swiss atmosphere is all gone."
Yuto: "So true."

Born and raised in Ehime prefecture, Koshiro moved to Okayama for an all-year rink when he was an elementary student.
Placed 1st at Japan Novice A in 2013
Placed 2nd at Japan Junior in 2016
But withdrawn from Japan Junior last season due to injury (adductor muscle? of his left leg/foot).

R: "Your arms appear to have grown big(thick)."
Koshiro: "Yes, my arms and the upper part of my body grew pretty much. The lower body too, like one size larger."

Restarting 2018-2019
To his apartment where he lives with his roommates.

Koshiro: "I think it's alright (to record the shared part of their apartment on vid), if only slightly."
Koshiro: "Kitchen. They(Koshiro does not mention who, but probably his mom) send me rice, paying extra efforts and send me some new harvest even. When I run out of ideas like what to cook, then I just cook rice and eat it."
Koshiro: "Nothing special at all in my room, really. I actually wanted to make it fashionable, but you know, it's costly to buy furniture here."
R: "Is this supposed to be 'full-lighting'?"
Koshiro: "The main light is broken right now. One of many things to worry about...[laugh]"
R: "But it's dark!?"
Koshiro: "I know, but I'm mostly gone in the daytime, and it's bright enough during day anyways. So, this is all I got after dark. So sad. [laugh]"
Koshiro: "This is just from an ordinary store. When I was back in Japan, I said 'something like this may be good (for my room)' and here, they sent it to me right away. So, this is the only green in my room."

He came to Switzerland to skate.

Koshiro: "Having spent one year, I'm getting used to it here now. There are still a lot of improvements to make, like English, diet, and so on. But finally I'm able to have fun, without any concerns or worries, it feels like at last I can live my life the way I like."
Koshiro: "Right now, the Japanese skaters are here and they inspire me. It's incredibly fun every day. Like, I've talked with my roomemates, Luk (from England) and Matilda (from Sweden) after practice, and they agreed that it's a valuable and great opportunity to have them here. If you stay in Champery alone, you can't see the outside world. I do know their skills/abilities since I was in Japan and they have inspired me a lot too, but it's even better when we have them and skate here together. I'm very grateful, and I feel tense and more determined (in a good way)."

Koshiro: "When I first came here. It was just meant to be a casual try-out for a few months only. Just trying out only for a short period of time and then I was supposed to decide what to do. Yeah, it really started like that. But for some reason I stayed. So many things I can learn, I wanted to stay longer, and here I am to stay. Now I live with well-determined skaters from different countries. It was harder when I lived here alone. By living with other competitive skaters who inspire me, I gain a lot and learn various things like what others do, how and when, like stretching, cooking, and all sorts of stuff. So, I need them, can't live without them now. I'm so grateful that they're here with me."

R: "Your last year..."
Koshiro: "Yeah, it was a very disappointing and frustrating season last year. But I've been able to train and practice a lot more for that. Polishing my skating, spins, jumps, and I'm enjoying a fruitful life everyday now. I anticipate my trip back to Japan every time, so I'd also like to enjoy competitions doing my best."
R: "So, for your fans who are waiting for you in Japan, which phrase would you like to say to them, 'Thanks for waiting' or 'I'm back'?"
Koshiro: "Hmm, I'd like to say 'I'm doing fine' rather than 'I'm back', maybe."

A competition in Japan after a long absence of a year and a half.
He landed a quad-toeloop at his first try in a competition.
Placed 3rd.

Koshiro: "Most of all, it's too frustrating and disappointing. I'll have to try harder at Japan Junior. I think it was a good experience for me today."
Koshiro: "I couldn't land it neither at the 6-min practice nor during the public practice. I thought I just had to give it a shot with all my might. But I didn't realize I did it until the audience raised a cheer and surprised me. That encouraged me as well. The next step for me is to win the 1st place, but for the time being, I'm glad that I got on a podium this time."

~Fin~

Thank you so much for the translation! It’s really nice that Koshiro, Luke and Matilda all get along so well.

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Thank you soo much for the translation! So interesting! It’s such a brave choice of such a young man to move to Switzerland on his own...
I am so excited for him this weekend! Definitely the skater I root the most for at the whole GPF!
I hope he will be able to get his consistency back he had during the JGP and not focus too much on the Quad! Go Koshiro 🙏🔥❤️

icetug

Medalist
Thank you, Tsurara, very much! Hope you stay with us, posting a lot.

I must say that when I saw Koshiro's apartment from a parent point of view, it was quite sad: no light, one tiny plant and plain rise as a regular meal :( Then I remainded all student's apartments I visited and calmed down :laugh: At least he can count on Deniss' dishes from time to time.

I wish Koshiro great time in Vancouver. It would be nice to see if he's learned what to do with a national flag after awarding ceremony ;).

:cheer:

ime

Rinkside
Also , there is a cute Koshiro in Camden’s ins story[ sorry i don’t know how to share it.....], it seems like he already arrive in Vancouver! Hope he will have a great time in JGPF!

DenissVFan

Medalist
It was great to see Koshiro reunited with Camden :)

Stephane has just posted an insta story from Vancouver, he must be excited too ;)

Tsurara

On the Ice
You all are very welcome, and thank YOU for the kind words!

Thank you so much for the translation! It’s really nice that Koshiro, Luke and Matilda all get along so well.
It seems that he really enjoys living with Luke and Matilda. I remember some fans were worried at first, having heard that Koshiro was living alone. I hope he learns English soon and well enough to be able to chat a lot more with them! I'm looking forward to hearing him talk in fluent English for interviews or whatever in the near future.

It’s such a brave choice of such a young man to move to Switzerland on his own...
I am so excited for him this weekend! Definitely the skater I root the most for at the whole GPF!
I hope he will be able to get his consistency back he had during the JGP and not focus too much on the Quad! Go Koshiro 🙏🔥❤️
Indeed, but it might have been relatively easier for him to move to Switzerland than others, considering how he was already determined enough to leave his hometown and move to Okayama (actually he crossed water then, so literally already gone abroad once before) when he was only in the 4th grade. He's blessed and lucky in so many ways. As someone who lives in Matsuyama and knows the town cannot provide him proper environment for his path, I'm just happy to hear that he has found himself his third home filled with great people.
As for quads... I read somewhere that not only Koshiro but also Stephane and Dennis all compete to jump them like a fun game :laugh: I just hope they do it safe for their fun. That said, I know what you mean.

I must say that when I saw Koshiro's apartment from a parent point of view, it was quite sad: no light, one tiny plant and plain rise as a regular meal :( Then I remainded all student's apartments I visited and calmed down :laugh: At least he can count on Deniss' dishes from time to time.

I wish Koshiro great time in Vancouver. It would be nice to see if he's learned what to do with a national flag after awarding ceremony ;).

Yeah, the flag thing :thumbsup:
From the way he spoke, I don't think Koshiro is eating plain rice as a regular meal, but just my translation lacked something to convey what he meant there.
I saw he recently listed cooking as one of his hobbies now, probably influenced by Stephane and Dennis, and maybe Luke and Matilda too. What he meant was more like, he tries to eat well, and it's just that when he doesn't know what to prepare for his meal, then he would at least cook rice to eat something nice to keep his diet healthy enough, instead of going to bed without eating. (And most likely his mother tries to send the best crop of the year for him to enjoy it.)

http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2018lambiel
here is one of Stephane’s recent interview from absolute skate, and he talks a little bit about Koshiro’s last season experiences;
It had been an hard time for Koshiro to get through injure , so glad that he is back......

Yeah, me too. It was so heartbreaking and upsetting last year for his fans too.
His SP, "Adios", is Koshiro's own pick according to both Stephane's and Koshiro's interviews written in Japanese, saying it's his true cry from the bottom of his heart. He said he wanted to say "Adios" to his previous weaker self. His interpretation of the music should really earn a high score imo!

Here are some more cute Koshiro pics from local magazine facebook pages. ("E-dge", a local sports magazine from his hometown)

https://www.facebook.com/edge.ehimesportsmagazine/posts/245103869502744
(Local magazine's top pages. He's holding a mandarine orange because Ehime is famous for mikan/mandarine oranges.)

https://www.facebook.com/edge.ehime...9240189089112/249239222422542/?type=3&theater
(Photos brought from Switzerland by Koshiro himself for the article in the above magazine. Dennis, Stephan, and Camden are there too.)

https://www.facebook.com/edge.ehime...1095576570240/241095359903595/?type=3&theater
(Koshiro in his hometown, Matsuyama, most likely when the magazine interviewed him)