2016 World Junior Champs Debrecen Gen Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 World Junior Champs Debrecen Gen Info

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Ooh! Tell us how everyone is doing on practices (when they start, of course)!

Specifically, the US girls (Tyler and Bradie), Angelina K., Alisa, Marin and Wakaba! Also the ice dancers...

I will try it, of course.. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Oh...this season has been so cruel! I can't believe it! :drama: Well, I really hope the other guys will step up and make the most of this opportunity now. And no more injuries please!

Skye

On the Ice
It's been a cruel season for junior men... :cry:
Get well soon, Sota-kun!

The Finn

Record Breaker
I took a quick look at who is going for Worlds after Junior Worlds and I found 6 skaters - Deniss Vasiljevs, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Angelina Kuchvalska, Viveca Lindfors, Ivett Toth and Anastasia Galustyan. Did I miss anyone?

There were also atleast 6 skaters who are named as substitute for Worlds.

Latvian

On the Ice
I took a quick look at who is going for Worlds after Junior Worlds and I found 6 skaters - Deniss Vasiljevs, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Angelina Kuchvalska, Viveca Lindfors, Ivett Toth and Anastasia Galustyan. Did I miss anyone?

There were also atleast 6 skaters who are named as substitute for Worlds.

+ Amy Lin

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must say, that this junior worlds for this season was one to remember for a lot of reasons. First TWO of the disciplines were won by countries that weren't the USA, Canada, Japan, China, or Russia. No. Pairs, which has long been one traditionally won by Russians, Chinese, American, or Canadian was won by a Czech team. In the men's, was an ever more bizarre competition. None of the top 3 from the SP medaled. Well one of them was close, but still. And the champion was from Israel. Again, not a country with a rich skating background, but history was made by Daniel Samohin being the first Israeli skater to medal at junior worlds. This was 1 1/2 months after his fellow co-patriot Alexei Bychenko became the first Israeli to medal at Euros. And with Nicolas Nadeau of Canada getting silver and single-handily getting Canada's 3 spots back after he being the only entry due to only one entry allowed. And he didn't even make the FP last year! And Tomoki Hiwatashi (USA). Well he wasn't originally going to go. But after Nathan Chen had to WD due to hip surgery after an injury at the US Nationals Gala (And he won bronze at nationals earning him a spot at juniors AND seniors for Worlds), Tomoki replaced him. No one knew what was going to happen, but he skated his heart out and got BRONZE. From not even originally going to go to getting bronze, well, that's a statement right there. In ladies. Two shockers as Polina Tsurskaya (Russia), who heavily favored to win, withdrew before the ladies SP started due to an ankle injury and left the door wide open. Alisa Fedichkina of Russia and Marin Honda of Japan ended up technically tying for 1st place after the SP, but Alisa became first due to her technical scores being higher. Then the day of the FP, during the 2nd or 3rd group, it was announced that Alisa had to withdraw due to an ankle injury as well. So the door became even more open. It was up to Maria Sotskova of Russia to get 1st or 2nd in order to maintain 3 spots. She was the last one standing. She got 2nd. And Marin Honda at the tender age of 14, won junior worlds and became the first Japanese and first non-Russian lady to win junior worlds since 2010. And ice dance, that was the least shocking event except that in the short dance, Rachel and Michael Parsons (USA) beat the favorites Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter (Also USA). However, in the FD, McNamara/Carpenter beat the Parsons and they got gold and silver respectively.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I must say, that this junior worlds for this season was one to remember for a lot of reasons. First TWO of the disciplines were won by countries that weren't the USA, Canada, Japan, China, or Russia. No. Pairs, which has long been one traditionally won by Russians, Chinese, American, or Canadian was won by a Czech team. In the men's, was an ever more bizarre competition. None of the top 3 from the SP medaled. Well one of them was close, but still. And the champion was from Israel. Again, not a country with a rich skating background, but history was made by Daniel Samohin being the first Israeli skater to medal at junior worlds. This was 1 1/2 months after his fellow co-patriot Alexei Bychenko became the first Israeli to medal at Euros. And with Nicolas Nadeau of Canada getting silver and single-handily getting Canada's 3 spots back after he being the only entry due to only one entry allowed. And he didn't even make the FP last year! And Tomoki Hiwatashi (USA). Well he wasn't originally going to go. But after Nathan Chen had to WD due to hip surgery after an injury at the US Nationals Gala (And he won bronze at nationals earning him a spot at juniors AND seniors for Worlds), Tomoki replaced him. No one knew what was going to happen, but he skated his heart out and got BRONZE. From not even originally going to go to getting bronze, well, that's a statement right there. In ladies. Two shockers as Polina Tsurskaya (Russia), who heavily favored to win, withdrew before the ladies SP started due to an ankle injury and left the door wide open. Alisa Fedichkina of Russia and Marin Honda of Japan ended up technically tying for 1st place after the SP, but Alisa became first due to her technical scores being higher. Then the day of the FP, during the 2nd or 3rd group, it was announced that Alisa had to withdraw due to an ankle injury as well. So the door became even more open. It was up to Maria Sotskova of Russia to get 1st or 2nd in order to maintain 3 spots. She was the last one standing. She got 2nd. And Marin Honda at the tender age of 14, won junior worlds and became the first Japanese and first non-Russian lady to win junior worlds since 2010. And ice dance, that was the least shocking event except that in the short dance, Rachel and Michael Parsons (USA) beat the favorites Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter (Also USA). However, in the FD, McNamara/Carpenter beat the Parsons and they got gold and silver respectively.

Yup, it's been a crazy one...crazy and crazy-good! Some performances to remember, for sure. And I've had a fantastic time discussing it here and on my blog...really, it's been one of the most fun events I've ever watched, right up there with the US International Classic last September (not sure why, but that was a super fun event to talk about even though my favorite skater there bombed). I'm definitely going to remember this event fondly. :yes:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Hello everyone

I couldn't post anything in the last two days when I was in the arena but now that I travelled back home I thought I share some of my impressions of the event.

I travelled to Debrecen on Friday afternoon so I missed the Ladies' SP but I watched the last two groups of the Men's LP. Now that was an exciting competition! The first competitor we saw was Daniel Samohin and no one thought before that we see the future junior world champion, after he finished 9th in the short program. His performance was very enjoyable, and he has a real charm on the ice! Nicholas Nadeau was the second competitior who has a similar spririt on the ice; though he was technically far behind Samohin, his components were almost as good as the Israeli's skater's.
Tomoki Hiwatashi's bronze medal is a surprise, considering that he only replaced the injured Nathan Chen. Apart from the missing 3F he had a solid program which earned him the medal.
One of my favourite skating was Hwan Cha Jun's, he is so talented for age! His short program was brilliant and his LP was solid, though he had to work more on his lutz because he got on 'e' on both of his jumps (other mistakes were a single loop and an UR on his 3S)
I felt sorry for Deniss Vasiljevs who couldn't give his best performance. He was struggling with his axel and lutz a lot. Apart from the weaknesses in the TES, his performance was good.

The next day I went to the city to take a walk. Even if I am from Hungary I have never been to Debrecen before so I thought the time has come to visit the city centre :) Booahh it was so windy and cold that after an hour I felt like being in an ice cube. :cry:Later I went to a shopping centre where I've seen a cute white teddy bear and thought it would be a nice present for Tursynbaeva.

I really enjoyed the ladies event a lot. Before this competition I only was at European Championships so I never experienced how it is to watch skaters from other continents, especially Asia and America.
The first to skate was Suh Hyun Son of South Korea, who placed 6th at the national championships this year. Her skating is lovely, she has a similar body type of Yuna Kim (which I always found perfect because her long legs and arms look so gorgeous on the ice). Though she had several downgraded jumps and overall her performance was really weak compared to her program at the nationals.
About the last two groups:
I really enjoyed Ivett Tóth's performance, she had just good confidence on the ice! This girl has improved a LOT in the last one season, she matured a lot and her components are so much better now. Her only big mistake was the loop she singled, I swear she look out on the audience before the jump ( I sat right there with my Hungarian flag), I thought goo girl, don't look at out at us, and in the next moment, she singled the jump. Oh whatever, it was a great performance anyway.

The next one was Elizabet Tursynbaeva. I think she is such a fighter and a very talented skater. In the short program she proved and showed how prepared mentally she is. Her long program is simply beautiful, I think the last half of the program hit me emotionally the hardest in this competition! I just loved it. You may think she doesn't express too much with her face but she feels the music brillantly imo. :luv17:

The Japanese ladies were all excellent, I really wouldn't guess they are 14-15 years old because their skating is mature and they skate with so much easy and poise. Wakaba Higuchi skated with a little bit more passion but she was more serious and mature at the same time, while Marin Honda's skate was easier and lighter in my opinion. I liked all of the Japanese ladies. :points:
Maria Sotskova skated under pressure after Fedichkina withdrew. I think she can be proud of her silver medal because she skated two near perfect performances However I think she had some not-so-nice jumps and she didn't presented the music that well. Overall Marin Honda was better in both SP and LP and she deserved the gold.

I think it was a good competition with lots of very great performances and. It might have been even better if Fedichkina and Tsurskaya had competed but overall it has worth it to go there and watch it live in the ice rink. :agree: