2016 US Nats Juvenile/Intermediate/Novice | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nats Juvenile/Intermediate/Novice

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed - terrible! I thought there was something wrong with my computer and that I was picking up that awful sound from some other site. I keep having to turn off the sound between skaters.
WHy do they do that?

I have no idea but I wish they'd stop. I too resorted to muting everything that wasn't the program.

In other news, Caroline and Gordon Green won by 22 points, they're 45 points above the bronze medalists, and 55 :jaw: points above the pewter medalists. That's incredible. It's like Yuzu, but in novice ice dance.

sk8dc

On the Ice
I have no idea but I wish they'd stop. I too resorted to muting everything that wasn't the program.

In other news, Caroline and Gordon Green won by 22 points, they're 45 points above the bronze medalists, and 55 :jaw: points above the pewter medalists. That's incredible. It's like Yuzu, but in novice ice dance.

Standing O! About 20 people in the huge arena - standing! With all the empty seats around. Pretty funny - but I've never seen a standing O in novice - and almost never in junior.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

WISA teams are scary good!

Too bad Caroline won't be 13 until October, so Green/Green won't be JGP eligible until next season.

ETA: and by "next season" I meant 2017-2018, not 2016-2017 oops

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Standing O! About 20 people in the huge arena - standing! With all the empty seats around. Pretty funny - but I've never seen a standing O in novice - and almost never in junior.

There was a standing ovation for Paolo Borromeo during the novice men's event in 2014. He won--deservedly--by 28 points.

So terrific to see the crowd appreciate a dance program! Often the audience can't recognize the difficulty within dance. But the Greens were outstanding. Their lifts would have been extraordinary in a junior event.

Country
Russia
I just watched her. Her presentation skills are senior level IMO. of course she could be more flexible but that's not reward as much anymore ;_; now skaters don't even do Spirals.
I'l repeat:
Nice skating - it is typical for US Ladies (of course - good Ladies). Haley Beavers is no doubt good.

It's all about the jumps....
No. Good skating skills, spins, presentation etc. are absolutely needed for top level, where skaters win not by base value, but by PCS and GOE.

Of course, jumps are needed too, but Yuna Kim won World title at 2013 and Olympic medal at 2014 without 3Lo.

Flexibility was serious advantage of Lipnitskaia to win her titles.

Btw I don't understand why Haley Beavers competed as Novice not Junior.
She had good chance to be 3rd in Juniors and earn Team C. Now she will be in Team D next season.

frida80

Record Breaker
I'l repeat:
Nice skating - it is typical for US Ladies (of course - good Ladies). Haley Beavers is no doubt good.

No. Good skating skills, spins, presentation etc. are absolutely needed for top level, where skaters win not by base value, but by PCS and GOE.

Of course, jumps are needed too, but Yuna Kim won World title at 2013 and Olympic medal at 2014 without 3Lo.

Flexibility was serious advantage of Lipnitskaia to win her titles.

Btw I don't understand why Haley Beavers competed as Novice not Junior.
She had good chance to be 3rd in Juniors and earn Team C. Now she will be in Team D next season

I didn't make that comment to disagree with you. I had just seen her short, so I commented in General.

The reason why she didn't skate at juniors was probably because she wasn't ready until recently. She just started working with Tammy Gambill five months ago. Her regional and sectional scores were much lower. It looks like she just started to land her 3Lz consistently. Here her sectional protocols.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/18513/SEGM018.html

Next season looks promising for the JGP season. No doubt Haley and Alexia will be sent to Spring Gardena for some experience. After that I see both in the top 5 easy in their respective events, with a slim shot at a medal.

Country
Russia
I didn't make that comment to disagree with you. I had just seen her short, so I commented in General.

The reason why she didn't skate at juniors was probably because she wasn't ready until recently. She just started working with Tammy Gambill five months ago. Her regional and sectional scores were much lower. It looks like she just started to land her 3Lz consistently. Here her sectional protocols.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/18513/SEGM018.html

Next season looks promising for the JGP season. No doubt Haley and Alexia will be sent to Spring Gardena for some experience. After that I see both in the top 5 easy in their respective events, with a slim shot at a medal.
Oh, so huge progress.

Hope to see Haley Beavers at JGP next season.

frida80

Record Breaker
Oh, so huge progress.

Hope to see Haley Beavers at JGP next season.

They gave Emily a slot, so she's probably getting one. I think USFS likes to look at the skaters summer season before deciding. After Vivian had her massive score at Glacier Falls, she practically earned two slots already. Outside of Emily and Vivian, there weren't a lot high scores. So Haley definitely has at least one JGP. Hopefully it's USA so I can see her.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
A shame that USFS has decided to put the Novice and Intermediate videos on private

What a great way for them to showcase their upcoming youngsters :sarcasm: