Your favorite underrated programs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your favorite underrated programs

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Midori Ito 1990 Scheherezade LP
Agree with Savoie The Mission too.

ETA: Thank you Deedee for posting Matt's Olympic LP. I still am touched by it. (wiping away tears...) Great job, Matt.

Last edited:

creaturelover

On the Ice
Definitely Mao Asada's 2014 Olympic freeskate! If I'd known nothing about the short program results and saw all the freeskates without the scores, I would have bet money this was the gold medal winning skate. I rarely call "wuzrobbed" but Mao's PCS was insultingly low and it's pretty clear to me that she was being penalized for not making it into the final group. I would have expected that under 6.0 but there's no excuse for that under IJS.
Enjoy the masterpiece that was that performance!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1iivsv_mao-asada-%E6%B5%85%E7%94%B0%E7%9C%9F%E5%A4%AE-sochi-olympic-2014-fp_sport

100% should have been the winning free skate

keasus

On the Ice
Midori Ito 1990 Scheherezade LP
Agree with Savoie The Mission too.

ETA: Thank you Deedee for posting Matt's Olympic LP. I still am touched by it. (wiping away tears...) Great job, Matt.

Matt Savoie was the most underrated male skater of the time. He was doing difficult transitions even before the IJS required it. It's too bad judges were more concerned with the battle of the quad "gods" to fully recognize such an extraordinary skater right under their noses. I believe he is coaching at the Skating Club of Boston. I don't know if it is full- or part-time, but any skater would be lucky to have him as a coach. I still miss seeing him on the ice.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Matt Savoie was the most underrated male skater of the time. He was doing difficult transitions even before the IJS required it. It's too bad judges were more concerned with the battle of the quad "gods" to fully recognize such an extraordinary skater right under their noses.

:yes::yes: There are a number of skaters I would believe who sort of were born too early in this sport. Matt is one of them for sure. Midori, too. I would love to see Matt skate and how judges would score him in 2016 , not in 2006, under the current trend of IJS after some re-adjustments and refinements to the rules over the years.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Yes, yes, yes!

Savoie's LP was the most memorable program for me in what a dull and spiritless men's competitions at Torino filled with splatfest (in fact all disciplines were). I wasn't impressed by performances of any of the men's podium finishers. However, Matt knew how to deliver a program under the new judging system.

Abt's Armenian and Rachmaninoff programs are very stylish and every packages are so tasteful; the music, costume, and choreography. Unfortunately, he had to compete with two legendary and compatriotic skaters at the best and the most exciting ever men's Olympic competition since 1988 (well, many said the 1988 was best ever).

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I'm glad that I found this thread this morning! I'm recovering from knee surgery and needed something entertaining. ITA with those of you who posted videos from Kim and Brent, Matt Savoie and Bebe Liang, who were all favorite underdogs of mine back in the day. I'd forgotten how good Bebe's Harry Potter program was.
If anyone can find a link to Kim and Brent's free dance to a Beatles medley, I'd say that was highly underrated and should be seen. I think it was 2007, but my YouTube search was unsuccessful.

Alan Geraldy

Rinkside
Klimova and Ponomarenko - Tchaikovsky ' s Symphony No. 5 .

One of the great dances ever; Both the concept and execution were sublime! The last moment in the program left me speechless¡¡¡:points:
For me this program is very underrated because many figure skating fans dont know it or have never seen it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOHJDV1dcIk

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Klimova and Ponomarenko - Tchaikovsky ' s Symphony No. 5 .

One of the great dances ever; Both the concept and execution were sublime! The last moment in the program left me speechless¡¡¡:points:
For me this program is very underrated because many figure skating fans dont know it or have never seen it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOHJDV1dcIk

Thanks for sharing the performance. It is simply exquisite! They really used the cloth effectively.

I think you already have seen this pro program by Krylova/Ovsyannikov, "Cleopatra and Caesar". They also put the fabric to use dramatically. I'm sure when Krylova's costume was revealed by unwrapping, the audience was pleasantly surprised by the beauty.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How about Armin Mahbanoozadeh's Avatar LP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qysORp4-BVU

By the way, did Armin ever skate in shows? I remember seeing him playing piano as well. Does anyone know what he's up these days? I saw him skate at Nationals in 2011 and he was very good. Unfortunately, he was up against the very handsome Ryan Bradley, Richard Dornbush, and Ross Miner who were all spectacular that night. BTW, Armin is TINY! His Bio says he's 5' 7" but seriously, he was standing next to Ryan Bradley and he looked like a little kid.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Isn't he at MIT?

I don't know but, it wouldn't shock me if he were. Skating and playing the Piano at an elite level are two very solitary activities which take a ton of time and focus. It doesn't surprise me when skaters go on to the Ivy League. I did some checking and Armin actually attended Dartmouth College.

Last edited: