European Champs: Predictions Game Round 1 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

European Champs: Predictions Game Round 1

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is the interview: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/22912.html

He said that he has information that she left the sport. So it sounds permanent to me.

P.S. Sorry for off-topic, just wanted to back up my words with an actual link.

Thanks for the interview link.

Hey, don't worry. You are one person that I trust to give reliable information! ;) :biggrin:

Now for my long overdue Dance predictions.

Dance was the most difficult category to do. And what didn’t help was that, instead of starting into it on Tuesday night, I thought “I won’t have time to do it all tonight, and I can’t be bothered opening all the Bios tonight and then opening them all again tomorrow. I’ll do it all in one go in the morning”. And come Wednesday morning, all the profiles I was looking for on Stats On Ice were coming up with 404 errors!

So, I was only able to sort them by ISU PB, rather than by the absolute PB’s that I prefer to use.

All things being equal, we should know who should be on the podium. BUT, Papadakis and Cizeron are only coming back from injury, and we have no idea what form they are likely to be in. I was hoping that they might have done a sneaky competition that had gone under my radar but not Curran Oi’s. But, alas, I couldn’t check.

So, I decided to be cautious and put Anna and Luca on top. But, at the same time, I didn’t want to drop Gabriella and Guillaume down too much, just in case they are back to full form. So, I put them in second. And then Team Beaver.

I was happy enough to keep Guignard / Fabbri in fourth place. They have been working so hard this season, entering as many competitions as they can. Hey, they were even leading the ISU Season’s World Rankings for a long time, purely because of the sheer number of competitions they had done. However, there is a concern that this could work against them. They might start suffering from burn out. But, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

After this, it is the Hunger Games. There are so many couples who are capable of claiming the remaining 2 positions in the Top 6! The couples from 5th right down to 20th by ISU PB order could finish in any position!

And I go down that far because, from looking them up during the Nationals Game, I remember that a lot of the couples have absolute PB’s that are a LOT higher than their ISU PB’s. And before anybody says “Nationals Inflation”, it is not just scores from Nationals that we are talking about. A lot of them were from Senior B internationals.

But I can’t look them up! :hairpull:

In the end, I took the easy way out and put the 2 remaining Russian couples in my Top 6. This involved moving Tobias / Tkachenko behind Stepanova / Bukin, but their ISU PB’s are practically identical so there was no need to feel guilty.

I also moved Coomes / Buckland up ahead of Tobias / Tkachenko. Penny and Nick’s ISU PB was 2 points behind Isabella and Ilia’s, but the English couple are far higher up than the Israeli couple in both ISU World Standings and ISU World Rankings.

For the rest of the couples, I did take into consideration the ISU PB’s and World Rankings. But I also looked back to the predictions I made for 4 Nationals, German and Italian Championships, and at the outcomes of those competitions. And I fed these into my predictions for Euros.

To be totally honest, I did push some couples out of the Top 15 purely because I was not as familiar with them as I am with some of the couples below them. And that is why I like being able to check the data, so that I can get an idea of what these couples that I am not familiar with are like.

I can tell you something, I am never letting myself get into this position again. In future, I am not going to wait for the Final Entry Lists to be published. I am going to make predictions based on the Provisional Entry Lists, and hope that there are not changes. And I am certainly not going to leave finishing off predictions until the morning an event starts, just in case any of the information I want to use is not able to be accessed.

It isn’t as much fun using the scientific method when you know that the absolute PB order is significantly different to the ISU PB order, but you can’t check it.

And it definitely isn’t as much fun when you are finalising your predictions half an hour before the segment starts!

I'll start on my Pairs predictions this afternoon in between the Short Dance And the Men's Free, and post it when it is finished (probably tomorrow morning).

Caroliza_fan

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ice Dance

1. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE, ITA
2. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON, FRA
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV, RUS
4. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI, ITA
5. Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV, RUS
6. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN, RUS

Just for fun
7. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND, GBR
8. Isabella TOBIAS / Ilia TKACHENKO, ISR
9. Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN, DEN
10. Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR, TUR
11. Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY, SVK
12. Natalia KALISZEK / Maksim SPODIREV, POL
13. Cortney MANSOUR / Michal CESKA, CZE
14. Viktoria KAVALIOVA / Yurii BIELIAIEV, BLR
15. Kavita LORENZ / Panagiotis POLIZOAKIS, GER

Layback11

Record Breaker
With the exception of having 5th and 6th place mixed up, I got the ice dance result after the SD right! What! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With the exception of having 5th and 6th place mixed up, I got the ice dance result after the SD right! What! :cheer:

I thought I had it completely right, until I came in here to read your comment, and realised that I had forgotten that I had put Guignard/Fabbri in 4th! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Men Results are in!!! though have to warn you, its not good :hopelessness:

Gold Medal : Somomo and Moxiejan with 45 points!!! :hap57::dance3:

Silver Medal : silverfoxes, Crossover, ptskate, magallli, FSGMT, kaarle and Marius with 40 points!! :hap93: :dance2:

Bronze Medal : Layback11, invisiblespiral, apgold, rosacotton, umeko_yur1tasukee, text_skate, silverlake22, hydroblader, SashaJuliaSpins, surimi, Li'Kitsu, tulosai, semosk8tfan and xibsuarz with 35 points! :gclap: :party:

and :ghug: rest of you :biggrin:

congratulations to all!!!! hopefully other disciplines will turn out to be better for all of us :laugh:

i will add results to spreadsheet tomorrow, as usual if you find any mistakes feel free to correct,

rosacotton

Final Flight
Wow, that was fast, matmuh!! Well done and thank you!:clap:

With how this competition turned out, I am very proud of sneaking in for a bronze.:dance3:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jaw:

Predictions Game results less than 20 minutes after the competition has finished???!!! :jaw:

:points: :points: :points:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

(Why am I not surprised that my name isn't there...? :slink: )

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
well, everything was ready except the results :biggrin: all credit belongs to samkrut for his amazing formula! :thank:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, that was quick!!

Came on here to bemoan my poor results and am shocked to see I got a bronze!:yahoo:

casualfan

On the Ice
Just 5 points shy of a medal again. Couldn't I get a pewter??? Frankly I'm surprised I had 2 correct placements at all. That was a really quick result matmuh, so Bravo!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
and I got :ghug:, stupid 5 pts out of podium, wish got Kolyada on 4th...

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
Men Results are in!!! though have to warn you, its not good :hopelessness:

Gold Medal : Somomo and Moxiejan with 45 points!!! :hap57:

Silver Medal : silverfoxes, Crossover, ptskate, magallli, FSGMT, kaarle and Marius with 40 points!! :hap93: :dance2:

Bronze Medal : Layback11, invisiblespiral, apgold, rosacotton, umeko_yur1tasukee, text_skate, silverlake22, hydroblader, SashaJuliaSpins, surimi, Li'Kitsu, tulosai, semosk8tfan and xibsuarz with 35 points!

congratulations to all!!!! hopefully other disciplines will turn out to be better for all of us :laugh:

i will add results to spreadsheet tomorrow, as usual if you find any mistakes feel free to correct,
I got a medal!:jaw::rofl:

Matmuh, u r incredible. Thank you!

umeko_yur1tasukee

On the Ice
Bronze Medal : Layback11, invisiblespiral, apgold, rosacotton, umeko_yur1tasukee, text_skate, silverlake22, hydroblader, SashaJuliaSpins, surimi, Li'Kitsu, tulosai, semosk8tfan and xibsuarz with 35 points! :gclap: :party:

Wow Bronze! XD I was shocked!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This seems so strange posting predictions after one of the categories has already been scored! But, at least it isn't as last minute as Dance was!

When it came to Pairs, there was no question as to who I was predicting to win. After seeing their programmes for the first time at the Nebelhorn, I said Volosozhar / Trankov were going to be unbeatable this season. So far, it has proved true, and I do not expect it to be any different at Europeans.

Another couple that have been unbeaten this season are Savchenko / Massot (so nearly wrote Szolkowy!) I know they were good with their previous partners, but I wasn’t expecting them to hit the ground running quite this well! Especially after their problems in getting Bruno released. Although I don’t think they will continue their winning run here, I do expect them to be well ahead of the rest of the field in 2nd. place.

After this, it became difficult. I could make arguments for putting half of the entire field into the remaining Top 6 positions!

Tarasova / Morozov were the best of the rest in terms of their ISU PB. Although they were a full 16 points behind Savchenko / Massot’s ISU PB, they were 8.5 ahead of della Monica / Guarise. They also had the highest ISU World Standing and ISU Season’s World Ranking positions of the entire field. So, it made sense to let them have the final position.

Nicole and Matteo also seemed a sensible choice to keep in 4th position. They have been having a good season. Out of the 5 competitions that Wikipedia have for them, their worst finish has been 6th. The concerning thing is that the 6th position was at their most recent international competition, the Golden Spin. But, they have been on the podium in their other 2 Senior B’s, and won Nationals. Their other result was 5th at the truncated TEB.

At the aforementioned TEB, the silver medal was won by the next couple on the ISU PB list, James / Cipres. Now, I have to be honest, I was not sure what to do with them. There isn’t exactly a lot to go on. They have only done 3 international competitions this season. The TEB has already been discussed. At the Nebelhorn, they finished 3rd, but given who was there, that is where you would have expected them to finish. And at the NHK, they were 6th.

The thing is, their ISU PB is exactly 2 years old (from 2014 Europeans). And it is only half a point more than the ISU PB of the next couple on the list, Astakova / Rogonov. Significantly, the Russians’ ISU PB was scored in October at the Ondrej Nepela Trophy, at the same rink where this week’s Europeans are being held. So, this could give them a psychological advantage. So, I moved Kristina and Alexei up to 5th.

The next 2 couples on the list also had ISU PB’s that were very close together. And the international SB for James / Cipres was only 2 points ahead of them. So, I felt justified in pushing these 2 couples above the French as well. But, which order to put the 2 couples in was a much tougher decision.

Marchei / Hotarek were the revelation of last season. Vartmann / Blommaert are the revelation of this season. Both have been having good seasons, and both set their ISU PB’s on the same weekend in November, but at different competitions. And I like them both! So, I was torn over which couple to have as my 6th place alternate.

In the end, I went with the couple representing Italy. They have had a year under their belt together, and finished 4th at Europeans last season. So, they should have the advantage.

For most the rest of the field, I just kept it by ISU PB order, because the scores were well spread out for pretty much everybody. The only close scores were for the couples in 14th and 15th place on the list. And I did change them around, because I saw the couple in 14th at 4 Nationals, and I was not impressed with them at all.

OK, so the rest of this post is pretty much exactly the same as in my Dance predictions post. But, It is worth repeating!

I can tell you something, I am never letting myself get into this position again. In future, I am not going to wait for the Final Entry Lists to be published. I am going to make predictions based on the Provisional Entry Lists, and hope that there are not changes. And I am certainly not going to leave finishing off predictions until the morning an event starts, just in case any of the information I want to use is not able to be accessed.

It isn’t as much fun using the scientific method when you know that the absolute PB order is liable to be different to the ISU PB order, but you can’t check it.

PLEASE get the full Stats On Ice service back up and running soon, Curran!!! I really miss it!!!

Caroliza_fan

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Pairs

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, RUS
2. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT, GER
3. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV, RUS
4. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE, ITA
5. Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV, RUS
6. Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK, ITA

Just for fun
7. Mari VARTMANN / Ruben BLOMMAERT, GER
8. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES, FRA
9. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER, AUT
10. Goda BUTKUTE / Nikita ERMOLAEV, LTU
11. Tatiana DANILOVA / Mikalai KAMIANCHUK, BLR
12. Bianca MANACORDA / Niccolo MACII, ITA
13. Adel TANKOVA / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI, ISR
14. Alexandra HERBRIKOVA / Nicolas ROULET, SUI
15. Anna Marie PEARCE / Mark MAGYAR, HUN
16. Marcelina LECH / Aritz MAESTU, ESP

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Wow matmuh, that was fast! thanks for scoring! :)

How did I get a bronze though? :laugh2: I guess thank you everyone who bombed more than me ;)

alebi

Medalist
As usual, my men's predictions are always a mess :laugh:

where I can find the spreadsheet? can you add a link in the first post of the thread, please? :)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland