2016 Europeans Short Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Short Dance

zytolda

On the Ice
I agree with that - i like Anna but her posture...... no no no
I do get Tarasova complaining about Anna's posture today - there were many moments with not-so-straight back from her (especially out of dance holds). As a performance - yes, they did a great job, but technically I feel that this wasn't so strong to get above 36 pts (as for their PCS I will throw a tantrum below...)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I see this as a very popular opinion, but to me, people tend to give Gabriella unjust grief about her skating skills.

Her SS is good, but poorer than other top girls and it's pretty obvious 'to anyone with two eyes'. She doesn't accelerate her speed when she execute her difficult turns, she skates on two feet much longer than necessary and when she don't it's Cizeron her moves her around the rink. Her edges is okay I guess, not as deep and long curves as Bobrova or Weaver (for example) have, but pretty decent. Anyway, she's completely in the shadow of Cizeron, even more than last season. 'Softness' and 'fluidity' are there, but Madison Hubbel is also 'soft and fluid' on ice, which doesn't stop her to actually skate on her own.
I like her interpritation and facial expressions during the dance, but the technique needs strong work. My opinion.

Last edited:

keasus

On the Ice
The discussion about P/C brings up a point: If you think of some of the great dance teams of the last 20+ years (K/P, G/P, V/M, D/W, among others), both partners were equally strong skaters. Gabrielle may be a bit rusty from her long absence from the ice and she will improve, but I think Cizeron will still be the superior skater of the team. Maybe this discrepancy is now being scrutinized by the judges more closely since as reigning WCs, they are held to a higher standard. JMHO

keasus

On the Ice
I love how this announcer says people's names for some reason. Also, Anna's new dress is gorgeous and very "1950s wedding dress", which I happen to like.

This has been "Layback11's Ice Dance Fashion Police."

Does anyone know who designs Anna's costumes? Italy has the best designers in the world (Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino, etc.). I know Roberto Cavalli used to design Carolina's costumes and was wondering about Anna's. Of course Anna could make a burlap sack look chic.

whatif

Medalist
Alla is doing her job:) And even carma is helping her. Perfect draw for both P/C and S/K for tomorrow. Expect these two, 1 and 3 place respectively, tomorrow.

Judging is interesting here. Very tight on both TES and PCS.

matcha

Medalist
Is there no hope in fixing Nikita's twizzles? Just watching S/K now and boy he just zooms into them and it appears as if he has no control whatsoever. And Vika isn't fast enough to be able to match him, but surely (???) he could learn to control/tone them down?

Also, no disrespect to Gabrielle (P/C are indeed a beautiful team) but Guillaume is like the heart of soul of that pairing, you can't take your eyes off him. She looked significantly weaker than him (understadable considering, but even last year tbh...)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't thinhere is much hope for Nikita and his twizzles; people have tried and they can't help him. However, B and S were not strong enough to beat the French and unless C and L falter badly Russia will have to hope for a miracle or rather things work out perfectly for them to regain 3 spots. THe problem is they have the much injured B and S which affects their practice and lack of competitons. THen they have inconsistent I and K and the rest of the RUssian dancers. Regardlessof who wins you have France and Italy ahead of them in Europe and the very least two Americans and W and P. That is five teams ahead of them. This means the would have to take the next two spots (6 and 7 at worlds to gain 3 spots. The problem is their inconsistency and perhaps greatest threat is Hubbell and Donahoe or depending on the wind Gilles and Porier or both.

KKonas

Medalist
I watched the last flight and can’t disagree with the judges in the SD. I thought the Italians were the best here. The French had the simplest choreo of the top 4, and although I like them, this SD was not that strong IMO. All the Russian teams were powerful as usual but in varying degrees of performance.
Judging Panel: R= GBR, TC = RUS, TS= CAN, ATS=SVK
Judges 1=GER, 2=SPN, 3=FIN, 4=SUI, 5=BLR, 6=RUS, 7=CZE, 8=ISR, 9=LAT

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I watched the last flight and can’t disagree with the judges in the SD. I thought the Italians were the best here. The French had the simplest choreo of the top 4, and although I like them, this SD was not that strong IMO. All the Russian teams were powerful as usual but in varying degrees of performance.
Judging Panel: R= GBR, TC = RUS, TS= CAN, ATS=SVK
Judges 1=GER, 2=SPN, 3=FIN, 4=SUI, 5=BLR, 6=RUS, 7=CZE, 8=ISR, 9=LAT

wut? What is CAN?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I thought only judges from the countries participating to the event could judge? Are French/Italian TS judging at 4CC?

It's an un-written rule, as far as I know. Maybe someone could explain it better :) And I don't think there will be European judges and/or tech panel members at 4CC.

Petitefleur

Spectator
just watched top 4 teams - have to say that I went straight to the computer (still in coat, cap etc.) to check results and no surprise there to be honest, buuuut the scores...And watched Papadakis/Cizeron last, just knew that this was the only way to try assess all the rest quite objectively (and got it right...)Papadakis/Cizeron - to be honest I really don't know what to say. I was super nervous about them whole season and filled with anticipation how they will fit at Europeans all things considered. And then SUCH a performance! Graceful and efortless don't quite can cover it fo me - they're flying on ice comparing them to the rest. Continuation of body lines, harmony between their bodies and arm movement are out of this world. The perfection of their frames working together on ice, so seamlessly is a sight to behold. I saw that SD as a huge risk, but with them it really pays off - the modernity and intricacy of Abel Korzeniowski's music shines through every movement in this dance - such musicality in these two . However - it showed that Gabriella was quite nervous today (a few glitches here and there) and Guillaume took a lead of performing and be strong for two of them (like Mrs. P well said above) - he is just a magic in motion, those edges, seamless turns, upper body movement so on point with the music, il ballerino vero :love:.And now let me ask - how Cappellini/Lanotte with their todays SD scored better that Papadakis/Cizeron?!?! That's a mess big time. What makes me snarl in disgust is PCS - EVERY single mark is higher for Italians, this is ridiculous. SS is the most painful, but the rest is not quite right too - guess 'Reputation Bonus' was activated (like WeakAnkles said above).
I agree with your description, and add that the music is on the same melody with a change in the tempo, which is clever and subtile. I agree with your comment about the notes... This SD is really beautiful and well performed. One of my favourites, in different styles of music , with Weaver/Poje (Viennese waltz) and Piper/Gilles (always so special).

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
u guys are probably right about Nicki & twizzles :cry: but I'll stilll hope for the best

katia

On the Ice
Watching the couples I missed while Verizon got its act together. Keep an eye on the Germans for the future. L/P. I see mucho potential there.

Ziggy would be so proud of the Polish couple. Another one to watch for the future.

Oh, and the Turks of course. I always enjoy them.

They're about the only three from the lower half who really made an impression on me. YMMV of course.

Oh yes. At last Polish couple I could keep my fingers crossed for. At last !!!:yahoo:

katia

On the Ice
I think (unfortunately imo) it is the year of the Canadians as WC. By holding down the French at Euros and putting them under the Italians, who unlike the French, have no chance whatsoever internationally against the Canadians and even the Americans, they are clearly giving the Canadians an easy traced road to the gold at Worlds.
I think they are trying to artificially recreate a kind of rivalry ala D/W & V/M leading to the olympics.
Why unfortunately. It's fortunately . :biggrin:
Anyway, I enjoyed Italians and French very much. I thought Italians were just a weebit better technically than French on the other hand French were so smooooooth. And B/S's music, I just love Khatchaturian and always wanted to see someone to dance to it.
And I am so glad that G/P (2nd Canadian pair) will be at the worlds, their dance is so much different from others.