Polina Edmunds at Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds at Nationals

winky97

Medalist
I did see her on TV with Nobuo Sato at Japanese Nationals. Maybe she went home to help her parents out over the holidays, or perhaps she'd choreographed for one of the skaters?

She might be going back and forth trying to establish herself separate from Jason. She is still listed as a coach for Detroit Skating Club.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yuka was in Detroit in July when I was there. Since Jeremy Abbott has actually retired, I guess she would still be considered his coach.

I like Polina a lot and was pleased to see she corrected the edge on her flip jump. Don't think she had one call on it in either competition. However, and it is worse than the edge on the flip, is that she is now under rotating quite often. She had multiple calls in both FS and 1 SP. It may be because she is skating so slowly into the jumps. She and her team really need to work on this and I pray they have already begun. As we've seen with Ashley W. and Mirai, once the under rotating becomes a habit it is very hard to correct.
I agree, I would love to see her skate faster.
But I'm sure that she'll do better at Nationals, that's the most important competition of the season for her and she'll be in shape. I expect no UR's.

noskates

Record Breaker
My thoughts on Polina: I think she had a growth spurt last year and she was already rather tall. Her movements to me seem "ganglier" - if that's a word. I think she has amazing talent but as I've said many times before, her team does her no favors with the music they choose and the rather unremarkable choreography that doesn't ever seem to fit the music. I love the music from GWTW but don't feel she interprets even 1 note of it.

Agree with R.D. that right now she's treading water. However, I wouldn't count her out. In times past she's been known to be very consistent and if others do poorly she could come through with a gold. As I said, she has the talent for sure. Needs better packaging.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Her sp was perfect Olympic quality skating. Wow Polina. It is on you tube. She is in first! Amazing sp. the best.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yeah, this was pretty good! Unexpected considering the start of her season. GO POLINA!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Polina's SP is quite lyrical and very subtle, almost Mao quality. She is probably the same height as Maria Sotskova, but Maria's arms are much shorted than Polina's and also proportionally short for her height. When a skater has too much arm, she should go with more fierce and defined arm movements. The problem with her LP is it is a bit slow and too soft. I believe Polina can skate to many different styles, like the one she did in last year's exhibition.

RABID

Final Flight
Her sp was perfect Olympic quality skating. Wow Polina. It is on you tube. She is in first! Amazing sp. the best.

My thoughts exactly. Now I am very intrigued to see what she will do with her long program. I understand no one likes it but sometimes a person doesn't just improve; sometimes a person blossoms before our very eyes. I don't know if that is going to happen but I'd pay good money to "witness" that. Anyway, good luck to her. :clap:

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Come on. I know the Yuka-Jason coaching team was a popular thing a few years ago, but they're divorced. It's just cruel to want them to be coaching together, IMO. How many of y'all really want to be spending lots of time with your exes?

Aside from the costume and choreography, Polina's team is doing well, especially on technical content. At the current time, I don't see a need for a coaching change.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I think it is possibly a mistake to judge Polina by this year's content; she will likely be a top flight US skater for many years to come. Given her success so far, (Olympics, 4CC etc), she IMV has tremendous potential; the current short program is a standout, she is attempting to stretch herself technically & artistically in the long, she has come thru her growth spurt with dignity and grace, and has a healthy competitive psychology: what's not to like? Most fans, I think, rally behind "the next big thing", don't like to be disappointed - a fair-weather pov - which tends to reduce the sport and make skaters like Polina expendable b/f their time - something we fans of American figure skating really cannot afford to do. Polina's doing just fine and I hope against hope she does super well at Nationals. As for being too tall, I believe Carolina Kostner is taller, has a long wonderful track record in the sport, started young, and enjoys the support of her country without reservation, the current ban notwithstanding. Let's give Polina the same backing and support here and time will tell.

What a lovely, wise, eloquent post. I agree w you on all counts, both in terms of your content/ideas and your attitude/tone.

waxel

Final Flight
I don't much care for Moonlight Sonata (too slow, too egregiously over-used) and especially the hokey/tackey GWTW ... both just in terms of music, but I am delighted to see Polina doing so well. Perhaps the Galindo influence is what she needed.

It's hers to lose.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
What a lovely, wise, eloquent post. I agree w you on all counts, both in terms of your content/ideas and your attitude/tone.

Thank you! Appreciate the kind words and looking forward to reading your recent Redbook article.. A step in the right direction toward increasing the popularity of our favorite sport!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yuka was in Detroit in July when I was there. Since Jeremy Abbott has actually retired, I guess she would still be considered his coach.
Really? I must have missed that announcement. When was it made? Do you have a link?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think we all misjudged Polina.. She can win anything with a great program and packaged better. She is a real solid competitor. Her Sp was the only one that stood out as excellent. Alaine Chartrand also used Gwtw as her music. Verve la difference. She won gold in Canada. I'm solidly a Polina fan. I love our podium. They just need to conquer nerves and they will do well.

andromache

Record Breaker
Probably an unpopular opinion...but Polina needs a warhorse. Get the girl some exciting music to skate to, something that rises and falls and rises again to a crescendo at just the right point in the program. Gracie is less musical than Polina, but watching her skate to Firebird is exciting! Firebird is thrilling music, it builds. Give Polina something powerful that she will have to skate up to; it might even help her with speed.

Send Polina to Philip Mills so he can give her a Black Swan transformation. Sooner rather than later.

adarskates

Rinkside
Probably an unpopular opinion...but Polina needs a warhorse. Get the girl some exciting music to skate to, something that rises and falls and rises again to a crescendo at just the right point in the program. Gracie is less musical than Polina, but watching her skate to Firebird is exciting! Firebird is thrilling music, it builds. Give Polina something powerful that she will have to skate up to; it might even help her with speed.

Send Polina to Philip Mills so he can give her a Black Swan transformation. Sooner rather than later.

I don't think it is an unpopular opinion. I agree with you. The choreography in the long was boring. The dress was bad. The entire package was very young. I also noticed that she and her coach did not interact much in kiss and cry. She hugged Rudy, but I didn't even see her look at David. I wonder if there is some tension in their relationship. I could be wrong. I still think she needs a coaching change. She would benefit from a fresh set of eyes and some attention to her under rotations and lack of speed. But who would be a good coach for her? Ideas?

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I'm glad this thread was started, I was just thinking about her yesterday. I think this year's short is a big improvement in style. But there is just something inside the girl holding her back. And to be quite honest, I think it's working with her mother. I read recently (I believe on a facebook group) that the two bicker in practice. I know that I love my momma, but could never survive such an intense training situation with that same kind of love intact. I think mom has a vision for Polina, it it just may not be in line with what judges and fans want to see. I think Polina needs a complete relocation and overhaul, because the talent is there. I was so enthused for her when she burst on to the scene in 13 and 14, and she's just been so lackluster since then. I would love to see what a year with Kori and Rohene could do for her, or maybe Yuka and Jason. But for now, I just don't think her system is working.

Wow, your comments about her working with her mom is interesting. I do agree she needs to expand her creativity by inviting more talented people to help her with packaging. She has all the goods. She just needs to sell it better. LOok what Yuna Kim did,....left Korea to train in canada. Not saying Polina should relocate, but just to add to her current team.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I have mixed feelings about Polina this season. I really like her SP but her LP is a snooze like others have said. Packaging aside, she's got a few challenges besides her UR issue and the fact that she skates slow. She's got a lot of talent but needs more time to become the full package and a top lady skater.

I keep waiting for the butterfly to emerge, so to speak, but until then I can't get too excited about her. She's been with her team for so long but maybe take a break from Rudy and try a new choreographer?

that's what i've been saying all along....she lacks a good choreographer.

NaVi

Medalist
Eh, people are being way too critical... she's moving in the right direction in every way.