Polina Edmunds at Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds at Nationals

humbaba

Final Flight
Eh, people are being way too critical... she's moving in the right direction in every way.

This.

I'm so happy for Polina. She skated two great programs at Nats this year. She made an important step foward last season with the much maligned "Tinkerbell" program. She found her style and is developing it. The only thing I'd quibble about is her costuming, but that's a matter of taste. I guess I'll just have to accept that Polina prefers more embellishment in her costumes than I do.
:hap85:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish Polina would skate to something faster so she would need more speed in her skating plus these programs put you to sleep. The SP was fine but the LP was :unsure:

shyne

Final Flight
I watched the Ladies SP on ice network and FS on NBC. Not once did I hear the commentators mention Polina's 4CC title. She is the reigning 4CC champion. Did they all forgot about this little interesting fact?

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I watched the Ladies SP on ice network and FS on NBC. Not once did I hear the commentators mention Polina's 4CC title. She is the reigning 4CC champion. Did they all forgot about this little interesting fact?

That would mean promoting her and according to USFSA code you don't promote your 3rd ranked skater ;) :biggrin:

........unless your Sarah Hughes and apparently you can buy it :slink:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Is Polina now even taller than Kostner? Is the rink sort of small for her? With her long legs and arms, I was afraid if she had gone faster, she will hit the board. I know it is what appears to me. The fact that she is so tall and can do all the jumps is a miracle.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably an unpopular opinion...but Polina needs a warhorse. Get the girl some exciting music to skate to, something that rises and falls and rises again to a crescendo at just the right point in the program. Gracie is less musical than Polina, but watching her skate to Firebird is exciting! Firebird is thrilling music, it builds. Give Polina something powerful that she will have to skate up to; it might even help her with speed.

Send Polina to Philip Mills so he can give her a Black Swan transformation. Sooner rather than later.

Pas de Duex from the Nutcracker!!!!

Actually I'd like her to do something fierce like a Bond or Kill Bill. Maybe do a song from Britney's meltdown period. :popcorn:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Probably an unpopular opinion...but Polina needs a warhorse. Get the girl some exciting music to skate to, something that rises and falls and rises again to a crescendo at just the right point in the program. Gracie is less musical than Polina, but watching her skate to Firebird is exciting! Firebird is thrilling music, it builds. Give Polina something powerful that she will have to skate up to; it might even help her with speed.

Send Polina to Philip Mills so he can give her a Black Swan transformation. Sooner rather than later.

Great yes exactly!!!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She needs to skate to something fierce and not be the delicate flower all the time. It makes her skating look even slower then the other girls.

CCC

Rinkside
Definitely something fierce, fun or dynamic. She had an exhibition program maybe last year, where I had to take a second look at her. She is a completely different skater when she skates to something fun and upbeat. While the "Tinkerbelle" music from last season is one of my favorite pieces of music of all time, her focus on the balletic presentation does not bring out the best of her skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohr0dyIbMn4
Claifornia Dreamin

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Definitely something fierce, fun or dynamic. She had an exhibition program maybe last year, where I had to take a second look at her. She is a completely different skater when she skates to something fun and upbeat. While the "Tinkerbelle" music from last season is one of my favorite pieces of music of all time, her focus on the balletic presentation does not bring out the best of her skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohr0dyIbMn4
Claifornia Dreamin

Her exhibition last night had her rockin' out and looking sassy! So I agree with all above. If you're playing Scarlet O'Hara, you need to look fierce, and that music did not really allow for that. While being technically very proficient, her performance there was underwhelming (I was there).

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I like Polina´s programs and I glad she did well, hopefuly more great things will come for her, she is hungry and not afraid to say so.

She really moves like a ballerina and that´s what I like.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm sorry skatingfan4ever. I should have typed 'Since Jeremy Abbott has NOT officially retired..." Sorry for the confusion, sometimes my fingers don't keep up with the brain.

By the way, I saw Jeremy at Nationals and spoke with him for a minute. He was very gracious and sweet. He choreographed Ashley Cain's programs and he was speaking with her after the short program.

Really? I must have missed that announcement. When was it made? Do you have a link?

loopy

Final Flight
I really enjoy the fun Polina from California Dreamin'. Estcjing that from gala performances, I think she needs something with her spark. Her gwtw was just not her. Give the girl a little wild where her smile lights up. I can't wait to see her over the next few years.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I really enjoy the fun Polina from California Dreamin'. Estcjing that from gala performances, I think she needs something with her spark. Her gwtw was just not her. Give the girl a little wild where her smile lights up. I can't wait to see her over the next few years.

In this we totally disagree. I'm over seeing Polina look, and skate like a little girl. I know she's young but, one of her best assets is her height which gives her the ability to pull of a much more mature program. I'd love to see her skate to "My Heart Belongs To Me" From the movie A Star Is Born. I originally wanted Elena Leonova to skate to it but, I don't know if she's even going to compete next season as it seems she hasn't been selected for any Russian Teams. I loved watching her perform.

Here's Barbra Streisand performing My Heart Belongs To Me from "A Star Is Born" :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2hIwiBZvI

ytl2s

Spectator
Not sure why everyone says GWTW is a snoozer; I found it to be very nuanced and much more maturer than tinker bell. IMO Polina is a much better skater to the music than Gracie.
However, Polina still needs a lot of work (technically AND artistically) to be really at the top, and not to count her win on other people's meltdowns. I agree with some of the posts that she kind of always has this image of a "mother's good girl", and yet we have not seen some of her own character in terms of her skating. I hope with an emerging adulthood she will finally figure it out and break out to her full potential. I would also hope that she would be more reserved when interviewed (please take Yuna's humble image as an example) and not blame on the judging when she does have so many technical issues to fix. Keep the consistency though.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I also think that GWTW was not a good choice for her. But I think her team chose it, because they knew that she could handle the tempo and feel of the music, it's very similar to what she did last season. She's still in school and might not have the enough time to do everything, but she's constantly improving her skating (this season: flip edge and UR's). And when you look at her instagram page you see that she has a life beside skating. Good for her! She seems to be a happy girl and she doesn't need to win everything at 17. Next season will be interesting, she should finish school soon, go to university and I guess that she'll have more time for skating.

@ytl2s: "mother's good girl" is always humble, so Polina is either humble or not "mother's good girl". ;)

tjskate

Rinkside
I have been a fan of Polina ever since I first saw her; she has a lyrical quality to her skating and lovely arms that she uses well. She seems to be our most consistent skater in her technique. I do think sometimes the "effortless" looks she gives off makes her look like she lacks power; I wonder how she compares when you see her in person.

That being said, I think she has tended to skate the same type of program and would benefit from trying a different style, one that brings her out a bit more. I loved her short program, she seemed to be pushing with a bit more attack, and the costuming and hair was a new look for her.

Definitely rooting for her in the future!

shine

Record Breaker

ITA with this. Polina did so well with more "easy to listen to" music in 2014. I think GWTW is such a step down from the previous two seasons (I really enjoyed Tinkerbell and thought it had some interesting choreography and musical intrigue even if most hated it). But if she skated to say, Giselle, next season, I'd die of happiness. She has the musicality and elegance to pull those classical pieces off well.

Last edited: