2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance

MIM

Medalist
Is that new? With Kaitlyn basically doing the splits on Andrew? Or maybe I just missed it earlier in the season. Cool nonetheless.

Yes, Yes, No, I think they tried it here first time. So spectacular, they are showing off their long legs!!! Their first lift at the SC was super hard and risky and they changed to something else at the later GP and the GPF. Then, they changed it again.

Elisabeth has an amazing body extension. When I see W/P, they seem to extend not just to the toes, to the blades. They look so powerful and dominant togher, even when they are skating to this slow music. The emotion oozing through their blades, face, and body creates this special atmosphere that draws audience into. RESPECT!

Last edited:

kresslia

Medalist
Talk over the medal ceremony (I can slightly forgive this since it was Tessa/Scott), then cut it off just as they're getting their medals. Dammmmit.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yes, Yes, No, I think they tried it here first time. So spectacular, they are showing off their long legs!!! Their first lift at the SC was super hard and risky and they changed to something else at the later GP and the GPF. Then, they changed it again.

Elisabeth has amazing body extension. When I see W/P, they seem to extend not just to the toe, to the blades. They look so powerful and dominant, even when they were skating to this slow music.

This - for me it's the most difficult act to skate and be powerful to quiet, slow music. In that case you, your body and presence have to take the lead over the music and own it. Weaver/Poje got this already.

MIM

Medalist
This - for me it's the most difficult act to skate and be powerful to quiet, slow music. In that case you, your body and presence have to take the lead over the music and own it. Weaver/Poje got this already.

exactly!;)

I am so glad you get to like them with this Nationals. Their FS at the 2012 Worlds were so impressive. I loved their "Yo soy Maria" and "four seasons", too. They have amazing qualities, but not presented to be convincing all the time. I felt sorry for only few people appreciate their qualities. But I think with this program, they stepped up artistically even more.

Side Note: Yes, Andrew is super hot. ;):love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wonderful performance. P and I must be beside themselves for as much joy for P O there has to be some pain for someone. Who knows what Skate Canada will do but I assume p/o will have to go to both 4ccs and worlds because they need to get in front of the judges Now will w and p go to 4ccs and risk losing to the Shibs and or Chock and Bates?

robredo40

On the Ice
shibs and chock and bates have nothing on them this year, Skaterboy when was the last time the shibs beat them 5 years ago, and chock and bates have a very average program, i`m thinking WeaPo are going there to dominate not think about losing.

peg

Medalist
Elisabeth Paradis / François-Xavier Ouellette
I haven't seen them before. Her lines are exquisite!

I fell in love with them last year in their first GP assignment and have been rooting for them ever since. So thrilled they made it onto the podium here

MIM

Medalist
I fell in love with them last year in their first GP assignment and have been rooting for them ever since. So thrilled they made it onto the podium here

You had a great insight to see them come through. I will catch up their performances earlier season. Thanks!

dasani

On the Ice
CTV coverage of the Free Dance (last group): https://youtu.be/0grz3tQ1j40

Skating Order:
Nicole Orford / Asher Hill
Alexandra Paul / Mitchell Islam
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CTV coverage of the Free Dance (last group): https://youtu.be/0grz3tQ1j40

Skating Order:
Nicole Orford / Asher Hill
Alexandra Paul / Mitchell Islam
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

Yes, video with Nicole and Asher this time!:love:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I caught up with the final flight of the FD and man what a competition.

Orford/Hill blew me away. When I watched the FDs last night before going to bed, I had to stop the video and make a comment on another board after their dance. I absolute love this team. Their Theory of Everything is what Hawayek/Baker's FD wanted to be but for some reason could not be. Their last straightline lift was to die for.

Paradis/Ouellette's FD did not leave much of a mark on me in the GP event I saw them perform in, but WOW did they step it up here. This is a program that can be VERY cheesey if not performed right, and they were just incredible here. This team is quality and I cannot wait to see what they come up with in the future. Marie-France and Patrice are on the right path with these two.

I feel bad for Paul/Islam. Marie-France and Patrice didn't work their magic with this duo like they did with Hubbell/Donahue. I can see their qualities but they didn't seem as impressive or leave an impact on me as P/O or even O/H. They are going through what the Shibs have been going through in 2013-2015 but I see the difference in how they're handling it and that's why the Shibs were able to keep their names in the running while P/I are in danger or not making out of Canada in the future (they lost their World berth here, but I don't know if that's permanent from now to Pyongchang). I think they can get their status back but they need to really evaluate their identities and their skating and figure out what needs to be worked on. I know they work hard.

I was looking forward the most to Gilles/Poirier's dance because I named it one of my favorite FDs of the GP series, but I was disappointed with it here. I think I have a bias towards smooth dances (which is why I was such a fan of Delobel/Schoenfelder) and this dance couldn't help but seem noticeably choppy in comparison to the first two teams. I still think this dance is cool and can really sing, but something was missing in this performance. Not sure what it was. It fits my theory that a team looks better or worse depending on who their direct competition is. At Skate America, it was Chock/Bates and Sinitsina/Katsalapov (two great and internationally-respected teams, especially the former) so their lack of smoothness in the dance didn't seem as apparent, but it did here. I also preferred their cooler more modern looking costumes at Skate America. These costumes seemed too costumey.

Weaver/Poje, deserved the win. I'm really impressed with all the content packed into this dance. My favorite part I think is the way they went into their dance spin. The amount of athleticism on display is sort of unreal compared to what we've seen this season. I think the second half works better for me than the first half even though some don't think the second half works as well.

katha

On the Ice
I feel bad for Paul/Islam. Marie-France and Patrice didn't work their magic with this duo like they did with Hubbell/Donahue. I can see their qualities but they didn't seem as impressive or leave an impact on me as P/O or even O/H. They are going through what the Shibs have been going through in 2013-2015 but I see the difference in how they're handling it and that's why the Shibs were able to keep their names in the running while P/I are in danger or not making out of Canada in the future (they lost their World berth here, but I don't know if that's permanent from now to Pyongchang). I think they can get their status back but they need to really evaluate their identities and their skating and figure out what needs to be worked on. I know they work hard.
Yeah, I don't really care for P/I but I felt bad for them as well. D/L don't seem a good fit for them, at least they gave them a terribly bland FD IMO. And that's the last thing a team struggling to find their own voice needs: Pleasant, but generic fare. It seemed like they were on the verge of breakout a few times, but it never happens. The constant mistakes are a problem and they need to figure out how to stop that. They also seem...idk how to phrase it, like they have zero edge and sharpness to their skating and performance. There's a point where smoothness as a stylistic choice can get too much, and with their lack of distinct identity making everything pretty starts looking like a drawback.

Didn't care for the new G/P costumes either, the ones from SA were way better. And good point about them sorta standing out in a sea of smoothness in the last group, not always in a good way. Much as I love the FD, they do sometimes use creativity to hide their weaknesses a bit. I actually think they lost to S/K in Skate America (many were predicting that G/P's FD would pull them up to silver in the FD, didn't happen) because of skating skills. Reports were that S/K were fast and quiet in the FD in particular, better than C/B on that front even. So even there the "choppiness" might have been an issue for G/P. But since both C/B and S/K skate with attack and a certain sharpness, G/P's style fit right in.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Oh right! I had forgotten S/K won a surprise silver at SA. They also scored dangerously close to C/B in the FD.

legjumper

Rinkside
Didn't care for the new G/P costumes either, the ones from SA were way better. And good point about them sorta standing out in a sea of smoothness in the last group, not always in a good way. Much as I love the FD, they do sometimes use creativity to hide their weaknesses a bit. I actually think they lost to S/K in Skate America (many were predicting that G/P's FD would pull them up to silver in the FD, didn't happen) because of skating skills. Reports were that S/K were fast and quiet in the FD in particular, better than C/B on that front even. So even there the "choppiness" might have been an issue for G/P. But since both C/B and S/K skate with attack and a certain sharpness, G/P's style fit right in.
I was at Skate America in person, and Gilles/Poirier were very good in the FD - very well-trained, very polished, all movements very clearly presented, and you never hold your breath hoping they don't screw up. They just don't have the same basic skating skills as the teams that have beaten them this season. But they are for sure a world-class ice dance team, and in my opinion, all the bashing of Piper's skating skills is a bit overblown. They seem pretty well-matched in execution at this point in their partnership.

legjumper

Rinkside
Wanted to add re: Gilles/Poirier - I can't emphasize enough how well-trained they are. They take the ice with total confidence and belief in their programs, and they execute with zero hesitation and complete control. Their speed and "size" of skating are very consistent, which is an area where a team like Sinitsina/Katsalapov can improve (at Skate America, S/K tended to slow noticeably as their step sequences wore on). Also, there may be teams with "prettier" skating, but Piper and Paul's attention to detail is top notch. These are all qualities that perhaps get lost on TV but do have an impact on the live experience and the judging.

Re: Canadian Nationals - Paul/Islam have no one to blame but themselves. I'm sorry for them that their move to Montreal was not as successful as Hubbell/Donohue's, but headcases gonna headcase. An auspicious debut for Orford/Hill - two beautiful performances, but their programs are not as complex as the higher-ranked teams. Their skating already has naturally special qualities: it's airy, intimate, and flowing. I think these two can cause trouble for the higher-ranked Canadian teams in the future. Paradis/Ouellette - I hope they can get the SD minimum at 4CC. They skated that FD a million times better than earlier in the season. Congrats!