2016 Russian Jr. Nationals Ladies SP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2016 Russian Jr. Nationals Ladies SP

Perdita

Final Flight
Interesting...to me, Gubanova is the one who lacks expression, and I can't remember a thing about her programs once they end. Maybe she'll change my mind someday, but now? Nugumanova is about 100x more enjoyable to watch for me. She's one of the most radiant, natural performers I've ever seen. But I also like Polina & think her expression is fine, although her main strength is definitely the jumps. Stanislava also is impressive. Hard to believe she came in dead last at last year's junior nats!

I think you're misunderstanding my point? I agree with you that expression wise, Nugumanova is more enjoyable than Gubanova even though her style is not my cup of tea. The way she dances and appeals to the judges are just phenomenal! I said Gubanova has SS. I can see that she has speed and flow on the ice and while I'm not an expert I heard many people praise her edge controls etc. My point was that SS can more or less help her save jumps when puberty hits.

Wow was Stanislava in dead last last year? That's so impressive :eek: Chebotareva has two late bloomers blossoming this season. Job well done.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Skating skills in many occasions do not translate into jumps: Serafima has superb SS, so is Alexandra P., Karen Chen, and probably more. I also think Gubanova looks quite serious in her facial expression. Nugumanova looks she really enjoys skating and has fun on ice, while Gubanova does not show that kind of joy.

I think you're misunderstanding my point? I agree with you that expression wise, Nugumanova is more enjoyable than Gubanova even though her style is not my cup of tea. The way she dances and appeals to the judges are just phenomenal! I said Gubanova has SS. I can see that she has speed and flow on the ice and while I'm not an expert I heard many people praise her edge controls etc. My point was that SS can more or less help her save jumps when puberty hits.

Wow was Stanislava in dead last last year? That's so impressive :eek: Chebotareva has two late bloomers blossoming this season. Job well done.

sneakers

Match Penalty
These were by far some of the most STUNNING spins I've ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlW5PSt-4Mc

Can Russia send her to YOG??

I think most of the high ranked junior skaters are too young and ineligible for YOG
except Tsurskaya, Sotskova and Konstantinova

pretty shocking she's a Mishin student
considering Mishin students never had great spins :biggrin:

but the new youngsters from Mishin camp
Gumennik, Lozko, Samodurova and Nugumanova amazingly have fast and innovative spins

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Interesting...to me, Gubanova is the one who lacks expression, and I can't remember a thing about her programs once they end. Maybe she'll change my mind someday, but now? Nugumanova is about 100x more enjoyable to watch for me. She's one of the most radiant, natural performers I've ever seen. But I also like Polina & think her expression is fine, although her main strength is definitely the jumps. Stanislava also is impressive. Hard to believe she came in dead last at last year's junior nats!

Hm, that's pretty interesting. To me, Gubanova comes off as much more mature of a performer while Nugumanova's entire style is still much more childish and she seems to really rush through the performance part. While that's adorable in itself, in my opinion Gubanova is ahead in this regard. It definitely is Nugumanova's second-biggest strength(biggest being spins), however. Gubanova's much better at both jumps and SS, in my opinion. Nugumanova is older than Gubanova but it seems as if she was at least a year younger when you compare just their skating.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Nugumanova and Gubanova both have their own strengths and weaknesses, different styles as well

Gubanova excels in skating skills, great lyrical and expressive skater when her jumps are on they are huge , but she has weak jumps like her stalked axels and mule like kick on the lutz
Nugumanova oth, enjoys bubbly programs, her jump technique has improved drastically especially her toe picks but still she still has issues sometimes with URs and has weaker skating skills

Perdita

Final Flight
Skating skills in many occasions do not translate into jumps: Serafima has superb SS, so is Alexandra P., Karen Chen, and probably more. I also think Gubanova looks quite serious in her facial expression. Nugumanova looks she really enjoys skating and has fun on ice, while Gubanova does not show that kind of joy.

I think you're right. What I had in mind was how Mao worked on her SS to gain speed under coach Sato. When a skater gains weight, she needs more speed to jump. So having SS does have some benefit, I guess. As I said it's more or less... I don't think SS can completely save a skater from puberty.

I might have worded badly here... I didn't meant to say Gubanova is lacking in expression. Right now it's the field Nugumanova's excels at, but Gubanova shows a lot of potential to become a lyrical, polished skater in years to come.

Kittosuni

Medalist
How old is Konstantinova? I like her speed and how she attacks the program. She has huge jumps too. Although she needs more polishing

Country
Russia
Thanks for clarification. But basically the point I was trying to make is that the placement among the age-eligible skaters is really what matters here, so Alisa doesn't need to worry about someone like Nugumanova or Gubanova beating her since they are too young to compete at JWC and YOG anyways.
Especially for YOG - Fedichkina is 2002, so not eligible for YOG (1999-2001).

WJC - Nugumanova is not eligible, but Konstantinova, Lozko, Sakhanovich are.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Especially for YOG - Fedichkina is 2002, so not eligible for YOG (1999-2001).

WJC - Nugumanova is not eligible, but Konstantinova, Lozko, Sakhanovich are.

Is it really 1999-2001 and then 2003-2005? If so, that's pretty stupid because it leaves 2002s completely out of youth olympics. It would make far more sense if it was 1998-2001 and then 2002-2005.

Country
Russia
Is it really 1999-2001 and then 2003-2005? If so, that's pretty stupid because it leaves 2002s completely out of youth olympics. It would make far more sense if it was 1998-2001 and then 2002-2005.
What will be in future - nobody knows.
At past YOG-2012 were only 1996-1997, so 1998 is out of YOG.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
What will be in future - nobody knows.
At past YOG-2012 were only 1996-1997, so 1998 is out of YOG.
Mhm, so skaters born during the latter half of 2002 can't participate in any olympic games until 2022.

It's very strange that despite youth olympics' upper age limit being 18, figure skating has it set so that this kind of a thing happens. Well, I guess it's going off topic but meh.

Country
Russia
Mhm, so skaters born during the latter half of 2002 can't participate in any olympic games until 2022.

It's very strange that despite youth olympics' upper age limit being 18, figure skating has it set so that this kind of a thing happens. Well, I guess it's going off topic but meh.
Yes, nothing good.
At YOG-2012 if more normal age limits could compete Lipnitskaia in her winning first junior season.