Uneven blades after sharpening...? | Golden Skate

Uneven blades after sharpening...?

ruki06

Rinkside
After my most recent sharpening, I've noticed that one of my feet seemed to feel "higher" than the other on the ice. At first I didn't think too much of it but upon examining the blades, I realized that the blade on my right boot is a 1mm shorter than the left. I'm guessing that they took off more metal off of the right blade than the left...is this common? Would you bring the skates back to the pro-shop? :S

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Unless your blades were banged up badly, 1 mm is a lot of metal to remove during sharpening. So having a 1 mm difference in height between the blades is bad news. Was the tech someone who has sharpened your blades properly many times before, or is it a new guy? I would definitely bring the skates back to the shop and talk to the tech. But I'm afraid he can't undo the damage (excess loss of blade life); not many sharpeners will compensate you for a botched job (but doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose). The best you can hope for is that he will grind down the higher blade to match the lower blade ... at no extra charge to you. If it's a new guy who doesn't appear to know what he's doing, and you have a choice of another guy (at the same shop or at a different shop that others can attest to), have someone else fix it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I can tell you that after a reputable pro shop sharpened my blades I wound up with uneven edges on my left blade. I found out when I had my skates sharpened elsewhere. I would suggest that the pain you mention in your other post could be related to your blade issue. In my case, the uneven blade contributed to plantar fasciitis, for which I had to be treated by a doctor and have PT. I would suggest you have the blades checked and if your symptoms have been going on for a while, call your doctor.

leafygreens

Final Flight
If you're confident a pro did your skates and the edges appear even to the naked eye, it could just be getting used to the sharpening. Sometimes my blades feel sharp on one side but not sharp on the other but eventually wears down to feel more even.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Is the height difference due to actual reduction of the sharpenable part of the blade? You should be able to compare your two blades visually and see whether they both have the same amount of steel left on that thin strip where your actual edges are. 1mm off that strip is a LOT, and taking that much steel off during a sharpening reduces the life of a blade tremendously.