Gold vs. Wagner | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Gold vs. Wagner

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What is the Owens memorial trophy, and what did Gracie win it for? Is that the glass trophy they give the national champions?

Adding to Mathman's replies:

Trophies named for others are given to U.S. champions at other levels and in other disciplines.

A list of all the names of the trophies and donors of the trophies is in the USFS rulebook. (Perhaps elsewhere too, but that's where I have seen it.)

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...onded-to-my-message-for-her-to-callafter.html

Everyone was skeptical after Sasha had signed up for the preceding Grand Prix season, only to have to withdraw from her first event, then her second. Even Phil Hersh, a huge Sashaphile, expressed "I'll believe it when I see it."

In the event, of course, she did show up, skated a great short program, looked beautiful as ever, put some money in the pockets of the USFSA, and managed to hold on to fourth (possibly with some friendly judging in the LP).

Thanks. I must be thinking of something else then. I thought that during the telecast of Nationals in 2010, there was a featurette where one of the other skaters made a comment that was kind of critical and sounded like sour grapes. No idea who I was thinking of though.

Thanks. I must be thinking of something else then. I thought that during the telecast of Nationals in 2010, there was a featurette where one of the other skaters made a comment that was kind of critical and sounded like sour grapes. No idea who I was thinking of though.

I don't remember this from the Nationals broadcast itself, but all during the previous year Sasha was roundly berated and criticized by people who thought she was just faking a comeback to create publicity for herself. "Yeah, right, Sasha. You're coming back for Nationals. Give me a break. If you do, you'll come in last, ha ha."

I remember one incident where Jenny Kirk, blogging solo at the time about the trials and tribulations of being a competitive figure skater, expressed doubts about Sasha's true intentions. Phil Hersh lit into Jenny for bad journalism, since she hadn't contacted Sasha to get her side of the story before writing the article. In turn there were a bunch of posts on Golden Skate saying, "Hey Hersh, pick on somebody your own size and leave my Jenny alone!" ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ I dunno about that. There were certainly mixed thoughts to begin with, but I don't think the skepticism really kicked into high gear until after she pulled out of SA in November (her 2nd GP event). At that point, though, even many of her own fans wrote off the effort.

I do recall the Hersh/Kirk incident now that you mention it. I don't remember thinking too highly of Hersh after that one...

MIM

Medalist
I have been putting Ashley over Gracie , just because of her better competitive nerves and performance ability.

But, at the Nationals, Gracie came through strong in the area I thought she would never get over.

Then, I just watched her gala. OMG SHE PERFORMS like there is no tomorrow. I have never seen her like this expressive and free!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfT3lwwet0

It was the confidence that she needed to be like this? Maybe she was honing the skills to control her competitive anxiety by practicing to this song? The lyrics are just...:biggrin:

I think the program is choreographed by Lori; it has similar feel to Mao's SP this season. I love Gracie checks for her lutz take off, the timing almost fits in the music so well that it is a part of choreo. I really like this side of Gracie!
I hope she keeps this momentum to the Worlds. Also, her team hopefully considers this kind of program as a competitive piece, too.

Last edited:

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have been putting Ashley over Gracie , just because of her better competitive nerves and performance ability.

But, at the Nationals, Gracie came through strong in the area I thought she would never get over.

Then, I just watched her gala. OMG SHE PERFORMS like there is no tomorrow. I have never seen her like this expressive and free!

It was the confidence that she needed to be like this? Maybe she was honing the skills to control her competitive anxiety by practicing to this song? The lyrics are just...:biggrin:

I think the program is choreographed by Lori; it has similar feel to Mao's SP this season. I love Gracie checks for her lutz take off, the timing almost fits in the music so well that it is a part of choreo. I really like this side of Gracie!
I hope she keeps this momentum to the Worlds. Also, her team hopefully considers this kind of program as the competitive piece, too.

I am so excited to go home from work and watch Gracie's exhibition! I would watch it at work but they block YouTube. Grrrr.

qwerty

On the Ice

I hope she keeps this momentum to the Worlds. Also, her team hopefully considers this kind of program as a competitive piece, too.

I love the sassy character in that exhibition! Pretty sure there was supposed to be a back spiral before that lutz though, she just wobbled a bit so it turned into a nice long setup haha.

Layback11

Record Breaker

I hadn't seen that, but I just LOVE it! Oh my gosh, she needs to turn that into a competitive program...and I feel like this is kind of an autobiographical program, LOL! Imagine her skating this at worlds of she medaled. I agree-I really love this side of Gracie and she really does seem more confident.

Also, those choreographed fist pumps are EVERYTHING.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie just sounds much more confident in general now. She's gotten rid of the ice princess persona which i don't think she ever was comfortable with and is coming into her own now. She's not a teenager anymore and judging by her press conference after the LP she's showing her fiesty side a lot more too because she's not afraid to show the real Gracie now. Lets hope that translate's onto the ice.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I love the sassy character in that exhibition! Pretty sure there was supposed to be a back spiral before that lutz though, she just wobbled a bit so it turned into a nice long setup haha.

The joy Gracie excuses every second after the final min of her free skate in infectious. She has the confidence of a true champion now. . . the joy but also the way she SELLS that program. haven't seen this in a long time.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Let's not forget the biggest X factor here......Gracie still doesn't have a gold medal after breaking one and never being awarded the other. She's on a mission!!

#HoldTheGold
Game..Set..Match :taunt:

Hang on - what happened? She broke a gold medal and was never awarded another? That sounds screwy even for figure skating.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States