Gold vs. Wagner | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gold vs. Wagner

LRK

Record Breaker
I do like Gracie and think her programs this year are definitely a step in the right direction, but I cannot say that they "blew me away" or anything.

I honestly don't much care for Ashley's programs, but... while I'm watching her, she makes me think I enjoy them.:)

Ashley.:)

Flagstaff

Rinkside
Ashley. I love her charisma and her sassy routines. Gracie has improved considerably but none of the two has ever shown lots of consistency...

Krunchii

Record Breaker
This one is not hard, while I recognize that Gracie is technically brilliant I would pick watching Ashley over her any day, love her determination and her presentation.

OniBan

Final Flight
I'd like Gracie to win, but I have a feeling Ashley will have that national title this year..

kwanette

Final Flight
I'm for whomever skates the best..and I always hope for fair judging. I love Ashley's sp and I love her lp. She sells both.I first saw Ashley skate "live" in 2007 in Reading, Pa. Back then she was easily overshadowed by both Mirai and Caroline...Her skating wasn't anything special to me until she went to Mr. Nicks and Philip Mills. Now I enjoy it.

Gracie is fabulous with her jumps and has improved stylistically to a degree.

I'll always have an emotional connection to Mirai..and I have a soft spot for Courtney Hicks.

Let's hope that there is no need for a "selection committee".

andromache

Record Breaker
I want Ashley and Gracie to go 1-2 in any order. I love both, and more than anything just want them both to skate clean and see what the judges do with them.

I'm thinking it might be better going into Worlds with Gracie as national champion and Ashley in the number 2 spot. Gracie could use the confidence boost and Ashley skates better as an underdog. So Ashley not winning Nationals might put her in a better mindset for her to kick butt at Worlds.

ETA: I want Karen Chen in 3rd. She earned it last year with good performances and was too young to go to Worlds. She has immense talent at a young age, and if she's able to do well internationally it bodes well for her future.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Karen Chen :love: Oooops okay, not part of the question ;) well, between these two... I'd go with Ashley. If I'm honest, I don't really count either between my favorites, or anything even close, but Ashley has improved so much over time that I have to give it to her for sentimental reasons. The judges, on the other hand, seem to favor Gracie a bit. It's pretty wide open between these two though regarding nationals - my bigger faith in Ashley to deliver would have me put my money on her I'm kidding, I would not put any money anywhere in the world of skating!

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Gracie all the way for me, I can not explain it, I just somehow like her better. :laugh: And I too want Karen to be third.

futurepupdoc

Rinkside
Both ladies have made so many sacrifices to advance their skating it is hard to favor one. If I must pick I will go with passion and energy every time. If both skated clean I think Gracie would win due to her technical mark. Her spins and jumps will typically get a higher grade of execution, but I will be rooting for my girl Ashley.

Globetrotter

Medalist
As I am an uber where skating skills is concerned - I don't just mean speed but deep edges, control, effortless stroking, multidirectional skating- I got to go for Gracie. I like Ashley's spirit and guts but I personally do not like the OTT performance and her relatively weak SS is really my main issue. Gracie has some of the best basics and technical skills but I so wish she has better competitive nerves. Hope both of them skate well.

stella luna

Final Flight
I am hoping for great skates from both, regardless of who wins. I think there will be a real fight for the third slot, and there may be some surprises. Also, if either of the top two melt down, things could get interesting.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It doesn't really matter to me who wins between Gracie and Ashley. What matters the most, IMO, is that whoever skates better wins. No politics. No Committee's. I'm much more interested in who will be the third skater. My head says Courtney Hicks but, my heart says Mirai or Angela Wang. Polina and Mariah Bell are both great and if they skate well, they could certainly shake things up. What's the story with Karen Chen?? She could throw a wrench into the whole event and Medal. Has she planned to go to Junior Worlds regardless of how she places at Nationals?

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It doesn't really matter to me who wins between Gracie and Ashley. What matters the most, IMO, is that whoever skates better wins. No politics. No Committee's. I'm much more interested in who will be the third skater. My head says Courtney Hicks but, my heart says Mirai or Angela Wang. Polina and Mariah Bell are both great and if they skate well, they could certainly shake things up. What's the story with Karen Chen?? She could throw a wrench into the whole event and Medal. Has planned to go to Junior Worlds regardless of how she places at Nationals?

My head and heart say Courtney Hicks. She has done what she needed to do to show she can compete internationally. She has to skate well and not give the judges any reason to lowball her score because it is possible that the tech panel will ignore under rotations, which gives skaters like Mirai and Polina a TES boost.

I'll always have an emotional connection to Mirai..and I have a soft spot for Courtney Hicks.

Let's hope that there is no need for a "selection committee".

No kidding! Worst case scenario: Ashley 1st, Polina 2nd, Mirai 3rd, Gracie (misses her triple flip in both programs) 4th. Enter the committee.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No kidding! Worst case scenario: Ashley 1st, Polina 2nd, Mirai 3rd, Gracie (misses her triple flip in both programs) 4th. Enter the committee.

:laugh2::eeking::rofl: and more :eeking:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Gracie has the better international programs - if skated clean could podium at worlds. She is trying very hard but still hasn't found her space yet for competing. I love Ashley's programs. They don't have quite the point potential but she will be cleaner and probably take the gold in St. Paul. Edmunds good competitor. Even with an under rotation I think she wil bronze and go to worlds.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

.... i actually think this scenario is painfully plausible.

Polina in third could also be interesting. I am not sure she would handle getting bumped as gracefully as Mirai. Heck i am not sure Tom Z would be quiet about it this time.

mrrice

Record Breaker

If they finish in the order you just wrote??? Even I'd be on the committee.;) That list has Gracie in Pewter and Courtney and Angela Wang off the podium completely. IMO, Gracie would have to withdraw ( Johnny Weir ) before I'd agree with her being left off a team that includes Polina. I have nothing against Polina but, she's a risk to saving 3 spots and I'd trust Gracie to get her together before Worlds. Similar to Ashley in Sochi.

mrrice

Record Breaker
My head and heart say Courtney Hicks. She has done what she needed to do to show she can compete internationally. She has to skate well and not give the judges any reason to lowball her score because it is possible that the tech panel will ignore under rotations, which gives skaters like Mirai and Polina a TES boost.

Does Courtney have a rotation problem? I only saw her at NHK and I thought she had big jumps. What I really liked about Courtney was that she seems like a great competitor. When she missed her triple triple, she didn't panic. She completed the rest of the program with ease and I love the way she performs.