2016 US Nationals Junior Men FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Junior Men FS

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm happy for Vincent and Nathan if they go to junior worlds, but there seems to be something seriously wrong with the system when the country's junior champion doesn't go to junior worlds. :scratch2:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Vincent and Nathan if they go to junior worlds, but there seems to be something seriously wrong with the system when the country's junior champion doesn't go to junior worlds. :scratch2:

That happened to Bradie Tennell last year when Karen and Tyler went. We'd probably have been better off sending Bradie instead of Tyler, but...

Ekm

On the Ice

It's a pitfall of the structure of US Nats (Canadians too), the way Russia and Japan's jr and sr nationals are spaced out allows jr aged skaters to compete in both. I also don't think it would be fair to force Nathan and Vincent to compete jrs at nationals rather than stretch themselves by competing srs and seeing how they stack up.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a pitfall of the structure of US Nats (Canadians too), the way Russia and Japan's jr and sr nationals are spaced out allows jr aged skaters to compete in both. I also don't think it would be fair to force Nathan and Vincent to compete jrs at nationals rather than stretch themselves by competing srs and seeing how they stack up.

No, I agree, but it's like... what's even the point of being a junior, if all the seniors get the junior spots. Personally, I tend to think people should do nationals at whatever level they're competing internationally at. If you're competing at both levels internationally, then you can pick. But the bouncing up and down seems unfair to everyone else and a heck of a lot of work for the skaters themselves.

andromache

Record Breaker
No, I agree, but it's like... what's even the point of being a junior, if all the seniors get the junior spots. Personally, I tend to think people should do nationals at whatever level they're competing internationally at. If you're competing at both levels internationally, then you can pick. But the bouncing up and down seems unfair to everyone else and a heck of a lot of work for the skaters themselves.

It's kind of a confusing system, but I don't necessarily see it as unfair. If the top 2-3 in Junior Nationals don't go to Worlds this year, they may benefit from the confusing system in another year when they want to compete in Senior Nationals for the high-level experience and then still get the benefit of a trip to Junior Worlds.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Vincent even isn't old enough to do senior Worlds, so he'll only be able to do jrs.

Ekm

On the Ice
Vincent even isn't old enough to do senior Worlds, so he'll only be able to do jrs.

Yes, I'm aware Vincent isn't old enough to compete sr internationally, but the rules allow him to do so nationally, and there is more to gain in terms of reputation by competing as a sr here.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Yaaay! Congratulations to Tomoki!!! :yahoo::cheer: i had my eyes on him since i saw him for the 1st time at Skate Detroit, his season got better and better, never saw him this epressive before. and that 3A was awesome, so was the smile after that!! and it set the tone for the rest of the program, its a shame that he probably wont be at JW unless Nathan skates lights out and will be sent to Worlds, but Nathan and Vincent had better season compared to Tomoki , i think result would be same even if Nathan and Vincent competed as junior at Nationals (unless they had disaster skates), i hope we will see him at some senior B before season ends