the state of us figure skating | Golden Skate

the state of us figure skating

Bord

Rinkside
Probably going to be very unpopular, but after watching the intermediate, novice and junior feeds the state and future of the U.S program is not inspiring. I found very few "wow" skaters. Most seems to be churning trough the program with gritted teeth and false smiles. I favor the pairs programs and only there did I find one male skater in the novice program who desperately needs to be separated from his lagging female pair and one female skater in juniors who shines despite a thuddingly slow male partner. The ladies program seems to be rinse and repeat - very few stood out. There is one skater in juniors who actually looks like she is enjoying herself.
For a country that has money, ice rinks and an abdundance of ambition, we are floundering on the world scene.

Thoughts?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I was amazed that only two skaters in the top 6 of Junior Ladies attempted a Triple Lutz, and not in a good way. But maybe this discussion would be more happening after Nationals is over as to not dampen the mood.

That said, the Ice Dance discipline is looking extremely good in the lower levels.

Bord

Rinkside
and it is only validated by watching the senior pairs. a few standouts - but none that can compete with the european contingent.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
After watching all of the senior ladies, there were a few who have some potential. I hope we will see some more stars rising at the free skate. I loved Polina's skating and her music the best. I love Mirai's skating too, but she seemed like she was skating slow. It seems that Ashley has lost some confidence or technique in the combination jump.. not as consistent. I hope she gets it back.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I hope Polina can improve her speed and power because at her height, she's always going to have suspect jumps that callers won't hesitate to downgrade some how. If she had Carolina-like speed and power, I can see her rising to be a real world contender as opposed to a lower top-ten skater that she seems to be stuck in now (even when she skates well). Having better routines and packaging than GWTW will help as well. She could also lessen a bit of the gawkiness in-between her elements though her Moonlight Sonata was the best at minimizing that gawky look.

narcissa

Record Breaker
^Yeah, that's what prevents me from liking Polina. She just doesn't have the body of a skater and it makes her look a little awkward on the ice.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
^Yeah, that's what prevents me from liking Polina. She just doesn't have the body of a skater and it makes her look a little awkward on the ice.
Enlighten me, how should the body of a skater look like?
Because I always thought that long arms and long legs are something to be admired in a figure skater. Polina's arms and legs are incredibly long and she's getting her limbs under control, this is not easy but once the development is finished she will look stellar on the ice. And she already looked very good in the SP.

Icey

Record Breaker
About 40 percent of the senior men did not do a 3 ax in their short program. That's dismal imo.