2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women FS

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
wow, only Canada. I am a bit shocked Canada did not do a skate off for the men and woman. Canada generally follows nats results but considering how close. I am not sure why I feel so strong that I would like to see Nam, Reynolds and Osmond be given one more shot at worlds. In the States well we saw at the 2014 oly trials though some will argue different standards how they went with Wagner a much bigger threat to podium than Nagasu but at least nagasu was 4th at the last olys. Now I know ther eare a lot of Daleman and chartrand fans and well some Liam fans but I would be curious if we had international judges (sorry not us on this site - we are far too more passionate with our hearts lol) who they would bet on to earn Canada three spots in the men's and women's - I don't think Liam would be chosen over even a growing Nam or recovering Reynolds. Now Reynolds and Osmond being human may give up ala Mirai in 2014 and not do well at 4cs. Osmond still has the higher scoring potential. It is really important that Daleman and Chartrand skate amazingly well because unlike Osmond they will not score so well pc wise. And Canada needs to get their ladies names with the judges - without consistent world contenders they will be forgotten. As for Slipchuk's comment that both ladies are top ten contenders - good luck. You still have 3 americans, 3 Japanese and 3 Russians not to mention maybe Kostner and a Korean and Chinese lady who have good shots at beating the Canadians. Better one of them skates and the other struggle to hold on to 2 spots. Canada maybe doing is what is fair and avoid the media scrutiny ala Wagner/Nagasu but it may not really help the securing their spots to worlds.

peg

Medalist
Canada maybe doing is what is fair and avoid the media scrutiny ala Wagner/Nagasu but it may not really help the securing their spots to worlds.

The Wagner/Nagasu situation was different in two ways though
1) Ashley was named to the Olympic team directly from Nationals rather than there being any sort of skate off
2) Ashley also had a clearly superior track record in the couple of seasons leading up to Olys

We're talking about a skate off here.

sses1

On the Ice
As much as I love Kaetlyn, she hasn't been consistent this season. Alaine and Gabby, should they skate great at Worlds, have a real shot at getting 3 spots for 2017 and I'm hoping they can do that because these 3 ladies deserve to be at Worlds. Its just unfortunate about the lack of spots.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think it's wrong to compare this situation to the American ladies situation in 2014. For the American ladies it was a spot on the Olympic team that was on the line - which is a lot more important than a spot at worlds.

Kaetlyn came back from a serious injury, so to end up in third this year should be seen as a part of the recovery process, especially considering the inconsistency she's shown this season at her GPs. I'm sure after 4CCs when the season is done for her, she'll be ready to attack her off season training for better results next year. We definitely haven't seen the last of Kaetlyn. ;)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, this is different than Ashley vs. Mirai for sure. From 2012 on, Ashley's results and performances were clearly superior to Mirai's while I wouldn't say Kaetlyn had that same level of superiority over Alaine or Gabby - regardless of Kaetlyn's injury, the three of them have been rather "hit or miss" for the last three years or so.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I know I'm late to the game but finally caught the final group on YouTube (also caught Michelle Young's FS). Just blown away. I love our top 3 ladies and am happy with whatever order they finish on the podium or internationally. Katelyn is my favourite for sure but her 3rd is deserved. I do think it is a good step in the right direction. She really has had bad luck with injuries. I usually think I prefer Gabby over Alaine but I guess it will depend on the programs because this year I find myself preferring Alaine. I'm not overly fond of tangos & similar styles of music. I used to fine Alaine really gawky and unpleasant besides the tricks but she's really come into herself. Just a stirring performance! And I love how feisty Gabby is.

The rest of the final flight wasn't bad. I've seen worse in other years. This final flight didn't have as many wonderful skates as the one from 2004 (that was an exciting year) but still a good show. Better than the men.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I was very happy about the ladies. The commentators were not wrong to say that these performances have potential to be world caliber performances.
When you compare the state of Canadian ladies skating now to a couple of years ago when Joannie finished competitive skating, it has gone up leaps and bounds.

A post above mentioned that in those bad years of women's skating, we were wondering whether any of them could land the harder triples or do a triple-triple. Now it's a definite yes.

However, after the top 4 there is a drop in the marks. Time for Skate Canada to keep strategising.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Alaine and Gabby, should they skate great at Worlds, have a real shot at getting 3 spots for 2017 and I'm hoping they can do that because these 3 ladies deserve to be at Worlds. Its just unfortunate about the lack of spots.

While I'd really love for Canada to have 3 spots too, I don't really think Alaine and Gabby have a shot to get it. They need a combined total of 13, which means one ladies has to be 6th at least - how will she do that against the consistent or simply better scoring ladies from Russia, Japan and America? It might happen, but it would require major "help" from the other ladies.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Wagner/Nagasu situation was different in two ways though
1) Ashley was named to the Olympic team directly from Nationals rather than there being any sort of skate off
2) Ashley also had a clearly superior track record in the couple of seasons leading up to Olys

We're talking about a skate off here.

Was this written before Skate Canada's decision?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
While I'd really love for Canada to have 3 spots too, I don't really think Alaine and Gabby have a shot to get it. They need a combined total of 13, which means one ladies has to be 6th at least - how will she do that against the consistent or simply better scoring ladies from Russia, Japan and America? It might happen, but it would require major "help" from the other ladies.
Oh my...I think they have enough trouble trying to earn two spots forget three. Internationally they best showing was Kaetlyn and she isn't going. Chartrand has spent much time without success on the triple axel and Daleman tech is good when on but artistically has really earned the judges approval. Remember while they both "could" be in top ten it is more likely like last year neither is - think 3 American ladies, 3 Japanese ladies and 3 Russian ladies - that means both can't be in the top ten most likely forget Kostner, a French lady, S Korea, Orser's protégé Tub; China,

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am sure Alaine has a better chance if she replicates the skate from the nationals. I think she has improved a lot her jumping technique. I believe her wonderful skated programs were not an exception, I guess she must have re worked all her jumps. It is true in figure skating you also need a good, healthy mind. So I wish good luck to our girls. Anyway they have better chances then men. I can't believe I say this. Still both Alaine and Gabby had good, almost perfect programs (especially Alaine) at the nationals. It is not the same in men.

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
wow, only Canada. I am a bit shocked Canada did not do a skate off for the men and woman. Canada generally follows nats results but considering how close. I am not sure why I feel so strong that I would like to see Nam, Reynolds and Osmond be given one more shot at worlds. In the States well we saw at the 2014 oly trials though some will argue different standards how they went with Wagner a much bigger threat to podium than Nagasu but at least nagasu was 4th at the last olys. Now I know ther eare a lot of Daleman and chartrand fans and well some Liam fans but I would be curious if we had international judges (sorry not us on this site - we are far too more passionate with our hearts lol) who they would bet on to earn Canada three spots in the men's and women's - I don't think Liam would be chosen over even a growing Nam or recovering Reynolds. Now Reynolds and Osmond being human may give up ala Mirai in 2014 and not do well at 4cs. Osmond still has the higher scoring potential. It is really important that Daleman and Chartrand skate amazingly well because unlike Osmond they will not score so well pc wise. And Canada needs to get their ladies names with the judges - without consistent world contenders they will be forgotten. As for Slipchuk's comment that both ladies are top ten contenders - good luck. You still have 3 americans, 3 Japanese and 3 Russians not to mention maybe Kostner and a Korean and Chinese lady who have good shots at beating the Canadians. Better one of them skates and the other struggle to hold on to 2 spots. Canada maybe doing is what is fair and avoid the media scrutiny ala Wagner/Nagasu but it may not really help the securing their spots to worlds.

Canada has never done a skate off to my knowledge. Correct me if I am wrong. Personally Kevin has been absolutely terrible all year, Nam I dont think has been too good either, as well at Kaitlyn. As for clean skates, Kaitlyn has the best chance out of all of them to score the highest if she was chosen but given this season that is a big IF.

peg

Medalist
Oh my...I think they have enough trouble trying to earn two spots forget three. Internationally they best showing was Kaetlyn and she isn't going. Chartrand has spent much time without success on the triple axel and Daleman tech is good when on but artistically has really earned the judges approval. Remember while they both "could" be in top ten it is more likely like last year neither is - think 3 American ladies, 3 Japanese ladies and 3 Russian ladies - that means both can't be in the top ten most likely forget Kostner, a French lady, S Korea, Orser's protégé Tub; China,

If even one of them skates close to how they did at Nationals, 2 spots should be quite safe as all that is required is for both to make the FS and one to finish no worse than 12th. But I agree, three spots is unrealistic. They would have to finish no worse than 6th and 7th, and I'm about 99.9% sure that won't happen (though of course I would be delighted if it did.)

They managed to get the two spots last year, and they have both improved since. My one concern is that both have had issues with underrotations, and international tech panels can be harsher than national ones.

peg

Medalist
Canada has never done a skate off to my knowledge. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, they did a skate off between Cynthia Phaneuf and Amelie Lacoste at 4cc the year Amelie beat Cynthia at Nationals.

I'm also pretty sure that one year, they waited until after 4CC to announce the men's Worlds team, but I can't remember how long ago that was or who was involved. I think the skate off just confirmed the results of Nationals though

da96103

Record Breaker
I think the overall environment at Orser's rink is a big part, the motivation seeing your competitor every day is another, and both clearly love skating and have talent. I would guess the overall combination of all of these things and more has brought about this result.

I think young people nowadays are not motivated by doing their best or the opportunity to represent their country.

Orser probably say this:

Alaine, give me three clean 3Lz's or no selfie with Yuzuru. Gabby, give me three clean 3F's or no selfie with Javi. Now do that or no selfie to put in your twitter, instagram, snap chat, etc.

Bet those girls get right on to that.

trains

On the Ice
The danger with Kaetlyn in a skate off is that she might pull off one good competition and then not be able to repeat it. I get the feeling she's not 100% yet anyway. Gabby and Alaine are less iffy at this time for sure and skating great.
Skate Canada has made unusual skater choices in the past though. Back in 1984 I think, there was a big controversy when the then CFSA sent the men's junior champion Jaime Eggleton to the Olympics in the third spot instead of Gordon Forbes because they really believed he was a rising star. Jaime who? Forbes later placed 9th at worlds. So you never really know what Skate Canada will do until they announce it.