2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men FS

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Damn, in a few hours I'm going to be tag teaming between the Canadian men and pairs on CTV and the Americans ladies on NBC. Being an überfan is hard sometimes. ;) I'm so happy my ghetto OTA antenna picks up both channels. Take THAT, cable and satellite companies. *spits* haha

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh boy, Nam is fired up. Just tweeted this:

"It is time to get revenge."

Revenge???? On who? His personal demons? I hope he's looking in the mirror because he can't really blame anyone else for what happens to him. Can He??

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can someone explain why Canada only has two worlds spots for the men? I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this department. Is it based on the placement of the Canadian men at last years worlds? Nam was in 5th, Jeremy Ten was 22nd. Where would they have had to place to earn three spots?

kresslia

Medalist
Revenge???? On who? His personal demons? I hope he's looking in the mirror because he can't really blame anyone else for what happens to him. Can He??
No, I'm sure that's what it is. He has to know he only has himself to blame.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't see Nam blaming anyone but himself. He must mean he's looking for revenge on the Nam who showed up last night.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Can someone explain why Canada only has two worlds spots for the men? I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this department. Is it based on the placement of the Canadian men at last years worlds? Nam was in 5th, Jeremy Ten was 22nd. Where would they have had to place to earn three spots?

Their placements would have to add up to 13 or less to secure 3 spots for the Canadian men, Nam's placement alone actually secures 2 spots since he placed in the top 10 but not enough for 3 spots

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Their placements would have to add up to 13 or less to secure 3 spots for the Canadian men, Nam's placement alone actually secures 2 spots since he placed in the top 10 but not enough for 3 spots

I see. Thank you for the explanation!

What is the formula used for a country only qualifying one spot vs qualifying two spots?

I'm thinking of Alaine and Gabby last year at worlds: Alaine placed 11th and Gabby placed 21st. How does that translate into two spots?

Thanks. :)

peg

Medalist

What is the formula used for a country only qualifying one spot vs qualifying two spots?

I'm thinking of Alaine and Gabby last year at worlds: Alaine placed 11th and Gabby placed 21st. How does that translate into two spots?

If a country has one skater, that person must be in the top 10 for them to earn a second sppot, or in the top 2 to earn three spots.

If a country has two skaters, the total placements need to add up to 28 or less for them to keep the two spots. All skaters who make the cut for the FS (top 24) get 16 points. So effectively if both skater make the FS, the top one has to place no worse than 12th. To earn three spots, their placements need to add up to 13 or less.

If a country has three skaters, the tope two placements need to add up to 28 or less to get two spots, and 13 or less to keep three spots. The third skater in that scenario can completely bomb

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't see Nam blaming anyone but himself. He must mean he's looking for revenge on the Nam who showed up last night.

That's what I thought and it's a great way for him to put things in perspective. Until he retires, I will always be a "Patrick Chan Fan;)" In fact, I used to have a shirt that said that. I'm such a dork but, hey, its completely true.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

And every country gets one spot as long as their have someone who eligible (age, minimum TES etc), earning 2 spots for one skater means placing in top 10 (Kaetlyn Osmond at 2013 Worlds was the only skater and earned 2 spots for Canada for Olympics and Worlds by placing 8th).

Your placement at Worlds is based on points, if you make the Free Skate portion, everybody gets 16 points, to earn 2 spots the placement of 2 skaters must be 28 or less, Alaine and Gabby made the Free Skate so no matter who you would get minimum 16 which meant that the other skater must be 12 or higher to get those 28 points. Since Alaine was 12th, Canada just barely kept those 2 spots for the ladies.

To earn 3 it would be placement of the top 2 skaters are less than 13 or if it's one skater, they would have to finish in either 1 or 2 (Yuna Kim earned 2 spots at 2013 Worlds by placing 1st but if she came in 2nd South Korea would still get 3).

Hope that helped =)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Great, thanks, Krunchii! It's a bit confusing in the details, but overall it makes sense. If that makes sense. ;)

I love this forum, so many of you guys are so well-versed in all things figure skating. I love the wealth of information you can learn on here.

artsciboy

On the Ice
And every country gets one spot as long as their have someone who eligible (age, minimum TES etc), earning 2 spots for one skater means placing in top 10 (Kaetlyn Osmond at 2013 Worlds was the only skater and earned 2 spots for Canada for Olympics and Worlds by placing 8th).

Your placement at Worlds is based on points, if you make the Free Skate portion, everybody gets 16 points, to earn 2 spots the placement of 2 skaters must be 28 or less, Alaine and Gabby made the Free Skate so no matter who you would get minimum 16 which meant that the other skater must be 12 or higher to get those 28 points. Since Alaine was 12th, Canada just barely kept those 2 spots for the ladies.

To earn 3 it would be placement of the top 2 skaters are less than 13 or if it's one skater, they would have to finish in either 1 or 2 (Yuna Kim earned 2 spots at 2013 Worlds by placing 1st but if she came in 2nd South Korea would still get 3).

Hope that helped =)

Small correction - Alaine was 11th overall. She was the one who got Canada the 2 spots! Respect! :)