2016 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance FD | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance FD

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
best post out there!
I do like Madi & her diva persona. But I absolutely hate the FD.
Some things ppl praise in her absolutelty should NOTT be present when u skate to Rach!
This dance isnt supposed ot be hot/sexy.

If nothing else, it should highlight just how important music is to ice dancing. One could make a good case for saying it is far more crucial in ID than the other disciplines because so much of every program is STEPS. The pure ballroom style of C/B's SD was and is a pleasant surprise--they're far better at a traditional ballroom dance than I thought they would be. But the emotional "fit" of the Rach to their style isn't nearly as good as the seamlessness of the ShibSibs' music and dance in their FD.

I think it's way too soon to predict Worlds. But I wouldn't bet a farthing on a North American sweep. It's far more likely only one North American team will make the podium (and that Russia will be shut out of the medals entirely). Euros will be ESPECIALLY telling this year. 4CC not so much.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
If nothing else, it should highlight just how important music is to ice dancing. One could make a good case for saying it is far more crucial in ID than the other disciplines because so much of every program is STEPS. The pure ballroom style of C/B's SD was and is a pleasant surprise--they're far better at a traditional ballroom dance than I thought they would be. But the emotional "fit" of the Rach to their style isn't nearly as good as the seamlessness of the ShibSibs' music and dance in their FD.

I think it's way too soon to predict Worlds. But I wouldn't bet a farthing on a North American sweep. It's far more likely only one North American team will make the podium (and that Russia will be shut out of the medals entirely). Euros will be ESPECIALLY telling this year. 4CC not so much.

Under your scenario, I think the obvious podium would be Papadakis/Cizeron, Weaver/Poje, and Cappellini/Lanotte in whatever order.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Under your scenario, I think the obvious podium would be Papadakis/Cizeron, Weaver/Poje, and Cappellini/Lanotte in whatever order.

Just took a quick look at the judging draw and it's quite interesting....

http://static.isu.org/media/226765/1973-judges-draw-by-number-championships-2016.pdf

It's going to be a European heavy draw since 11 of the 13 prospects are European.

On the other hand, I think the Shibs could sneak in there and surprise. This seems VERY similar to their 2011 breakout season. They didn't make the GPF and they were not very high in PCS, but stayed in the game due to strong TES scores (at NHK 2010, they were third, but beat Weaver and Poje in TES and was 2nd in the FD; AT Skate America, they were 3rd behind Crone/Poirier but beat them on TES) . By 4CC, they beat both Canadian teams for the silver medal and obviously we all know what happened at Worlds that year. Granted they needed mistakes by P/B and W/P to get there, but still...they also skated pristine as well.

Plus at GPF -- their PCS was within shooting distance of not only Chock and Bates but also Cappellini/Lanotte.

IT's going to be an interesting few months, that's for sure.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Last year her teams were a disaster. People figured it must have been Igor who was the best of the team and that without him she was lost. Many people did seem to think she was on her way out the door.

But this year her teams have been firing on all cylinders. So good for her for getting it together :thumbsup:

Thanks.... I think coaches, skaters all have down years so she needed to rebuild after D/W and V/M imo.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Just took a quick look at the judging draw and it's quite interesting....

http://static.isu.org/media/226765/1973-judges-draw-by-number-championships-2016.pdf

It's going to be a European heavy draw since 11 of the 13 prospects are European.

On the other hand, I think the Shibs could sneak in there and surprise. This seems VERY similar to their 2011 breakout season. They didn't make the GPF and they were not very high in PCS, but stayed in the game due to strong TES scores (at NHK 2010, they were third, but beat Weaver and Poje in TES and was 2nd in the FD; AT Skate America, they were 3rd behind Crone/Poirier but beat them on TES) . By 4CC, they beat both Canadian teams for the silver medal and obviously we all know what happened at Worlds that year. Granted they needed mistakes by P/B and W/P to get there, but still...they also skated pristine as well.

Plus at GPF -- their PCS was within shooting distance of not only Chock and Bates but also Cappellini/Lanotte.

IT's going to be an interesting few months, that's for sure.

More importantly, any word on the callers?

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Your "likely scenario" is 2 Euro/1 North American teams. Which is different from "It's far more likely only one North American team will make the podium" how?

Just sayin'...

ETA: My bad.: misread what yousaid.Yes, if P/C have recovered sufficiently,I think that's at least what we can call "the most expected" podium.

Last edited:

oceanle

Rinkside
Yyyyyaaassss!!!!

so proud of the shibs! :yahoo: That'll be the highlight of the entire event for me.

Everything that they needed to improve upon they did. I honestly never thought we'd see a program or performance that has that much of an impact from them. That program 'speaks' emotionally no matter the language.

They've shown tremendous creativity in their videos (i have to root for them for this alone), and now they're learning how to bring that emotional range and creativity to the ice. I enjoyed the hell out of that and i loved the reactions in the k&c. Yay!

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the judges will reward them in Worlds. This routine slowly building momentum and I think they can crack the top 2.