2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, we go to the ballet to see beautiful expressive movement that may or may not be difficult.

We go to a skating show for similar reasons.

We go to a skating competition to see skaters push their limits by attempting the most difficult set of skills they can, on a slippery surface. Falling is always a risk, even on easy moves.

In that sense skating competition might have more in common with circus acrobatics than with ballet. We don't expect circus performers to constantly fail at their tricks, but we do find it exciting to watch them push the limits of what's humanly possible and occasionally to fail.

At least with skating the risks are less often "death defying."

I think us constant goers have different reasons for being there....each carrying different weights...I like seeing my skating buds...the competiton...yes....but the performances.....especially the ice dancers....ahhhh....

I used to go to only shows...then I discovered competition....now I dont do shows and blow off most galas and wont watch shows on TV....but the funny thing is I am at comps for the performances....Sure, I like the competition....especially when my favorites do well.....but Grant's version of Les Mis was very enjoyable, even though he isnt going to win worlds with it...I am glad I get to see it again. I asked Polina what everyone asks her...."How much do you think the ballet training has helped you?" And she thinks for her it is critical and I think so too. I really enjoyed her "Gone with the Wind". Maybe she could get higher points and have more splats but I dont want to see that....Skating is one of the handful of sports where art meets athletic ability. I like that...something for everyone......
Chris who wont be watching the superbowl