Worlds, 4CC, Junior Worlds teams, per USFS | Golden Skate

Worlds, 4CC, Junior Worlds teams, per USFS

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ETA, please scroll down within this post to see the men's teams, which were announced later than the teams for the other disciplines.​

(1/24/16) U.S. Figure Skating Announces ISU Championship Event Selections for Ladies, Pairs, Ice Dance

(1/24/16) - U.S. Figure Skating has named its ladies and ice dance selections for the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships, 2016 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships and 2016 World Junior Figure Skating Championships. The pairs selections were announced earlier this morning and are also listed below.

The men's teams will be announced at the conclusion of the men's free skate this evening. NBC will broadcast live coverage of the men's free skate from 4-6 p.m. ET this afternoon.

Ladies, pairs and ice dance athletes named to the World Team will be available to the press at noon.

WORLDS

Ladies

Polina Edmunds
Gracie Gold
Ashley Wagner

Alternate 1 - Mirai Nagasu
Alternate 2 - Tyler Pierce
Alternate 3 - Hannah Miller​

Ice dance

Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 - Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus
Alternate 2 - Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker​

Pairs

Tarah Kayne and Daniel O'Shea
Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim

Alternate 1 - Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran
Alternate 2 - Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage
Alternate 3 - Jessica Calalang and Zack Sidhu​

FOUR CONTINENTS

Ladies

Polina Edmunds
Gracie Gold
Ashley Wagner
[ETA, update: later on Jan 24, USFS announced that Mirai will replace Ashley https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/691438351585558528]​

Alternate 1 - Mirai Nagasu
Alternate 2 - Karen Chen
Alternate 3 - Courtney Hicks​

Ice dance

Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 - Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus
Alternate 2 - Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker​

Pairs

Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran
Tarah Kayne and Daniel O'Shea
Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim

Alternate 1 - Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage
Alternate 2 - Jessica Calalang and Zack Sidhu
Alternate 3 - Jessica Pfund and Joshua Santillan​

JUNIOR WORLDS

Ladies

Tyler Pierce
Bradie Tennell

Alternate 1 - Emily Chan
Alternate 2 - Vivian Le
Alternate 3 - Megan Wessenberg​

Ice dance

Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter
Rachel Parsons and Michael Parsons
Elliana Pogrebinsky and Alex Benoit

Alternate 1 - Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Alternate 2 - Julia Biechler and Damian Dodge
Alternate 3 - Chloe Rose Lewis and Logan Bye​

Pairs

Chelsea Liu and Brian Johnson
Joy Weinberg and Maximiliano Fernandez
Lindsay Weinstein and Jacob Simon

Alternate 1 - Gabriella Marvaldi and Cody Dolkiewicz
Alternate 2 - Jacquelyn Green and Rique Newby-Estrella
Alternate 3 - Ai Setoyama and David-Alexandre Paradis​

ETA, the later announcement re the MEN http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51779&type=media:

- Worlds:

Aaron
Chen
[ETA (on Jan 28): USFS just announced that Grant will replace Nathan, b/c of N's injury and surgery http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51788&type=media]​
Rippon

Alternate 1 - Grant Hochstein
Alternate 2 - Ross Miner
Alternate 3 - Alexander Johnson​

- Four Continents

Max Aaron
Grant Hochstein
Adam Rippon
[ETA (on Feb 4): USFS announced today that Ross will replace Adam. Adam elected not to compete in Taipei. http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ents-Entries&p=1366101&viewfull=1#post1366101]​

Alternate 1 - Ross Miner
Alternate 2 - Alexander Johnson
Alternate 3 - Timothy Dolensky​

- Junior Worlds:

Chen
[ETA (on Jan 28): USFS just announced that Tomoki will replace Nathan, b/c of N's injury and surgery http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51788&type=media]​
Zhou

Alternate 1 - Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alternate 2 - Kevin Shum
Alternate 3 - Aleksei Krasnozhon​

ETA (on Jan 28), best wishes to Nathan for a smooth recovery.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Not sending Vivian Le to JW seems like a mistake, IMO. USFS needs to nurture their potential future stars.

That said, Tyler and Bradie were both very impressive at senior Nats, and clean skates from them could put them close to the podium at JW. I hope Tyler has a far better experience than she did last year.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Shockingly, they went with Tyler and Bradie for JWs. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

I hope for Tyler's sake that she actually places decently this year - she's certainly capable of it. She's got to be feeling incredible pressure to do much better, and I hope that pressure doesn't cause her to bomb again.

Good for Bradie getting to go this year after not getting to go last year. Too bad for Emily for now being in the same situation, and for Vivian for having the most successful Junior fall season and missing out. I wonder how assignments would differ if the US skaters did both Junior and Senior nationals like Russia/Japan.

And a note for pairs: Findley/Hale are not alternates for JWs despite being bronze medalists and age eligible because they have split. https://www.instagram.com/p/BA0Ga6lyvNx/?taken-by=meiryla.findley

jg2000

On the Ice
Not sending Vivian Le to JW seems like a mistake, IMO. USFS needs to nurture their potential future stars.

That said, Tyler and Bradie were both very impressive at senior Nats, and clean skates from them could put them close to the podium at JW. I hope Tyler has a far better experience than she did last year.

I kind of wish the US would put jr nationals & sr nationals further apart, so skaters could do both. IMO, what's the point of jr nationals if skaters can't even qualify for jr worlds from it? This happened last year as well, and I think the USFS needs to push those in seniors who do well for senior events instead of sticking all the age eligible skaters in jr worlds.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

I would have liked to see Vivian at Jr.Worlds too but its hard to justify not putting Tyler and Bradie on the team after their stellar performances and Vivian has had a not so great season. Either way I don't see any of the girls making onto the podium this year so its all about the learning experience.

As for the senior ladies, I would have like to see Mirai at 4CC but she's the 1st alt so its possible we may see her there. I'm not sure if Gracie will go to 4CC since she won Nationals as it might be better for her to head into worlds as the US #1. But both her and Ashley's nerves need the competitive experience so who knows.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the two Junior girls should have gone to Jr Worlds. Pierce has had two tries and has bombed both times. Vivian and Emily both need the experience. C'mon USFSA get it together.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
im not sure sending Tyler is a good idea. They did this last year and gave her a new junior length program, it did not work out. The first thing Tammy did when Tyler when back to her was put Tyler back on an old SP. I am thinking change is not Tyler's friend and sticking with what works, works for Tyler.

Given that she is an alternate to worlds, she needs to be training her senior programs as well. I am not sure putting more pressure on her in the form of new/new old junior programs is the wises idea. She is in a good place right now, I think the focus should be on keeping her there.

I am not sure it is the best choice, but I guess I will just have to hope I am wrong in this case. Seriously... i want to be, I like the girl, but junior worlds may just be cursed for her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would have liked to see Vivian at Jr.Worlds too but its hard to justify not putting Tyler and Bradie on the team after their stellar performances and Vivian has had a not so great season. Either way I don't see any of the girls making onto the podium this year so its all about the learning experience.

As for the senior ladies, I would have like to see Mirai at 4CC but she's the 1st alt so its possible we may see her there. I'm not sure if Gracie will go to 4CC since she won Nationals as it might be better for her to head into worlds as the US #1. But both her and Ashley's nerves need the competitive experience so who knows.

Under that argument (no us girls meddling) I would have gone with the junior girls. Tyler has been in the Senior Circuit and Bradie has had international experience, I would have like for them to go with Emily and Vivian.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie is awesome and over the summer I was hyping her up so for purely "I told you so" purposes.....this is a fantastic decision :)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Under that argument (no us girls meddling) I would have gone with the junior girls. Tyler has been in the Senior Circuit and Bradie has had international experience, I would have like for them to go with Emily and Vivian.

Those meddling kids and their dog? :p

I almost understand Bradie more than Tyler even though Tyler placed higher. Bradie hasn't had a Junior Worlds experience, and did skate a Junior assignment this season (even though she didn't do too well) so she has a Junior program from this season.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wrong thread!!!! :slink:.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm super bummed for Vivian and Emily. If only Vivian could've done the program she did in sectionals. 186 points easy. It's a shame her com a didn't work out for her at nationals. But Emily snub stings too. She got a standing O! JW competition would've aided them both. Tyler short doesn't even have a 3F. I hope for her sake she can get it together.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's too bad the top 3 ladies all want to compete at 4CC. I wish we could see Mirai and Tyler at 4CC and then Bradie and either Chan or Le at JW. Tyler and Mirai were so good last night, they deserve assignments, but given Tyler's history at JW, I do think 4CC would be better for her, especially because she hasn't competed junior programs all season! Bradie definitely deserves a JW spot after her skates last night, but Emily and Vivian are deserving too. Sad, so many talents, so few spots.

frida80

Record Breaker
It's too bad the top 3 ladies all want to compete at 4CC. I wish we could see Mirai and Tyler at 4CC and then Bradie and either Chan or Le at JW. Tyler and Mirai were so good last night, they deserve assignments, but given Tyler's history at JW, I do think 4CC would be better for her, especially because she hasn't competed junior programs all season! Bradie definitely deserves a JW spot after her skates last night, but Emily and Vivian are deserving too. Sad, so many talents, so few spots.

Some of the top three change their mind within a few days of the competition. Someone that just lost will want a redemption skate, though.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I'm kinda surprised and happy that Ashley decided to go to 4cc tbh. I think it'll serve as a good competitive mileage for her.

Skye

On the Ice
Tyler will have to enter an international junior competition to obtain the minimum TES for Junior Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Announcement re the MEN http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51779&type=media:

- Worlds:

Aaron
Chen
Rippon

Alternate 1 - Grant Hochstein
Alternate 2 - Ross Miner
Alternate 3 - Alexander Johnson​

- Four Continents

Max Aaron
Grant Hochstein
Adam Rippon

Alternate 1 - Ross Miner