Worlds, 4CC, Junior Worlds teams, per USFS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worlds, 4CC, Junior Worlds teams, per USFS

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
(1) I hope Nathan is not badly injured and will recover quickly. Wishing him the best.

(2) I am a Jason fan, but if USFS wanted him to be next in line, it should have named him as first alternate. It didn't.

Or they don't want to spend the time and money on monitoring an alternative. John Coughlin talked about the process, and well, it is a process that humans are involved with. Maybe it is not worth it, or even in the procedure to give an alternate bye. Which to be honest does not seem impractical to me - so if word is back that Nathan is out (I hope his is not) within in 24 hours.... i kinda think they should give some thought to how to proceed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Or they don't want to spend the time and money on monitoring an alternative. John Coughlin talked about the process, and well, it is a process that humans are involved with. Maybe it is not worth it, or even in the procedure to give an alternate bye. Which to be honest does not seem impractical to me - so if word is back that Nathan is out (I hope his is not) within in 24 hours.... i kinda think they should give some thought to how to proceed.

I give USFS more credit than you do. I really don't think the logistical issues of monitoring Jason in Monument -- within shouting distance, so to speak, of Colorado Springs -- would stop USFS from giving him a bye.
Seems to me that monitoring Jason would be far more convenient than monitoring someone based in California or Georgia, for example.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
God lord, you don't waste time do you??!

Brown fans, classy as always. :(

Heck no I don't! Ever here the phrase time is of the essence? If we take out emotions out of it the reality is there is a timeline that exists, and I find it odd that a non-changeable agreement with the ISU has been made on a Sunday night. For all i know Jason already hurt himself again, id still have the same question from a procedural point of view. Frankly i see little reason to make such quick decisions on the matter anyway, so forgive me for looking to make the best of a bad situation if the crap is not finalized. Keep in mind that assignments, including alternates, affect funding. So if Nathan is in fact injured... you bet i want to find out in time to get extra people extra funding if i can - and I can't say i feel bad about it. If life handed Nathan a lemon, yes I want to try to make lemonade for someone else if possible. Even without Jason, id still like seeing more alternates get funding.

Perhaps i should have wished Nathan well in the post as well. Honestly I am so cynical about the quad and injuries that I was hesitant how anything i would say would come across. I wish Nathan a quick and painless recovery, but i also have to admit a part of me may wish he had done one less quad today as well. I don't want any quads, only safe quads. Perhaps my cynicism is causing me to see the sky falling when it is not and I jumped the gun abit on my reaction to Nathan's injury... i apologize for any ruffled feathers.

Now can we just hug and move on?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I give USFS more credit than you do. I really don't think the logistical issues of monitoring Jason in Monument -- within shouting distance, so to speak, of Colorado Springs -- would stop USFS from giving him a bye.
Seems to me that monitoring Jason would be far more convenient than monitoring someone based in California or Georgia, for example.

.... humans still have to be paid, or volunteer their time. Yes the logistics make it easier... but I am not sure i like discounting the work involved. It would take time and money. And I was talking about the specific back to play monitoring for injuries... not something that would be happening to the other alternates.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
.... humans still have to be paid, or volunteer their time. Yes the logistics make it easier... but I am not sure i like discounting the work involved. It would take time and money. And I was talking about the specific back to play monitoring for injuries... not something that would be happening to the other alternates.

But that's what they are paid to do :laugh:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
But that's what they are paid to do :laugh:

yes but someone still pays them... and ummmm do we really want to get into a philosophical economic debate here? Geez I did not think the suggestion USFSA may be cheapskates on occasion was that scandalous. :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I too am talking only about monitoring of Jason.
I don't know how many people would be involved in such monitoring, but I assume that Mitch Moyer earns a salary from USFS, and I would guess that monitoring would be part of his job description, for example.

I mentioned the other theoretical locations only to emphasize that monitoring Jason would be relatively convenient, IMO.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I too am talking only about monitoring of Jason.
I don't know how many people would be involved in such monitoring, but I assume that Mitch Moyer earns a salary from USFS, and I would guess that monitoring would be part of his job description, for example.

I mentioned the other theoretical locations only to emphasize that monitoring Jason would be relatively convenient, IMO.

well yes you are correct but at the same time... what would Mitch be doing instead? Would the time be better spent monitoring and alternate, or talking some young up and comers through some struggles so they can stay on track? sucking up to a possible sponsor that could greatly help the sport? I guess i see a steep cut off on the return on investment of monitoring a skater named to the event and a skater that *might* go but only if there is a WD. And in my eyes that drop is enough i could see the business decisions being made that they will do it for one scenario but not the other. You have to draw a line somewhere and this just might be a line. Has anyone been given an bye to being an alternate?

Hopefully Nathan will be ok and my comment will be only a procedural quandary anyway.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Wow I thought Gracie would skip 4CC and Ashley would go to establish herself as a solid contender again. (Not that she's not already a contender but i mean she's now a third ranked US female)

I thought the same but maybe Ashley know she's not in top shape and will be pointless anyways, so lets get better with Worlds as the long term goal.

shyne

Final Flight
As tinnychan pointed out, you can obtain minimum TES for JWC only through international junior events. Actually entries for international junior events up to Feb 21 are already closed, so I wonder whether USFSA is serious about sending Tyler to Junior Worlds...

Found this on the ISU website
Skaters/couples participating in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2016 must have reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as defined by Article 38, paragraph 7 and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9) during the ongoing season (2015/16) or immediately preceding season (2014/15).

Tyler competed at 2015 Jr Worlds. I'm sure she has meet the min TES requirement.

Skye

On the Ice
Found this on the ISU website
Skaters/couples participating in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2016 must have reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as defined by Article 38, paragraph 7 and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9) during the ongoing season (2015/16) or immediately preceding season (2014/15).

Tyler competed at 2015 Jr Worlds. I'm sure she has meet the min TES requirement.

Nope, Tyler's TES for the FS at 2015 JWC is 33.99 (minimum TES is 35). I can't find any other international junior competitions Tyler participated in during the past 2 seasons, but if anybody can, please enlighten me.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
World Junior min TES is 20/35
Tyler got 25.14/33.99

So she has the SP, but not the FS.

What about Junior world from 2014 would that be too old?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I assume that if Tyler's been named to the team, USFS already has a spot somewhere in a competition for her. Reports elsewhere, like FSU seem to say the Bavarian Open in February.