Worlds, 4CC, Junior Worlds teams, per USFS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Worlds, 4CC, Junior Worlds teams, per USFS

kalee

On the Ice
Ironically Tyler has the TES this season in seniors... from Tallinn Trophy where she scored 35.25/57.87 TES in the short and free respectively. Which reflects how much she has upped her technical arsenal this season, but should also mean that the way to motivate & reward her efforts should be through opportunities on the senior circuit that will capitalize on her successes this season rather than trying to revisit the past.

So her being named to JW was a real surprise... Was expecting her to be an alternate to 4CC, and the JW spots to go to Bradie / Emily / Vivian.
The silver lining is, if in fact this is an oversight then possibly Emily could benefit from it to get to JW.

Are there any other hoops that Tyler has to jump through to get a GP assignment next year, other than holding her current form through the summer?

Last edited:

Skye

On the Ice
I assume that if Tyler's been named to the team, USFS already has a spot somewhere in a competition for her. Reports elsewhere, like FSU seem to say the Bavarian Open in February.

That certainly make sense and also explains why Tyler is not on the alternate list for 4CC as dates collide with the Bavarian Open.

shyne

Final Flight
That certainly make sense and also explains why Tyler is not on the alternate list for 4CC as dates collide with the Bavarian Open.

Yes. She needs to compete at a event to meet the min TES for Jr Worlds.

And before that she needs to replace the 3Lo in her SP with the required 3F, take out a step seq in FS+ cut her music to the appropriate length for Junior competitions. It can be all done, but just seems to be a lot of extra work for someone who hasn't competed at Jr level for almost 2 seasons and are doing all this for Jr Worlds.

It may sound harsh but it's not like she has a chance to upset the Russian and Japanese girls at Jr Worlds and medal there....then why bother USFSA?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
well yes you are correct but at the same time... what would Mitch be doing instead? Would the time be better spent monitoring and alternate, or talking some young up and comers through some struggles so they can stay on track? sucking up to a possible sponsor that could greatly help the sport? I guess i see a steep cut off on the return on investment of monitoring a skater named to the event and a skater that *might* go but only if there is a WD. And in my eyes that drop is enough i could see the business decisions being made that they will do it for one scenario but not the other. You have to draw a line somewhere and this just might be a line. Has anyone been given an bye to being an alternate?

Hopefully Nathan will be ok and my comment will be only a procedural quandary anyway.

Agree to disagree (except on the part about hoping that Nathan will be OK).

Regardless of 2016 Worlds, I think USFS and Mitch Moyer should be interested in keeping tabs on the 2015 national champion's recovery.
So I just can't imagine that USFS decided that the reason Jason should not receive the bye is that it would be a poor use of MM's time to invest half a day or whatever to go to Monument to monitor Jason. Perhaps half a day more than once before Worlds, I suppose.
It's not as if MM would have to take an overnight trip somewhere.
And MM could kill multiple birds with one stone and check in informally on other 7K skaters at the same time as they start to work on new programs.

Spinning

On the Ice
They're like a week or two apart..... :/

Nam did both two years ago. If I remember correctly, he won the JW and finished within the top ten for Senior World. Nathan is more capable to accomplish the same if he is fitted enough.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau did both junior and senior worlds last year with great results: silver at JWC and 8th at senior worlds. Different category than men's of course, but it shows it's doable to successfully attend both.

I'm hoping Nathan will be ok in time. :(

corinthia

Rinkside
So, just to make sure I'm crystal clear on this, could somebody please help me understand...

Is Jason's petition still "open", with the option still open to substitute Jason onto to the team if he recovers in time?

Or did the announcement of the Sr Men's team effectively close the door on Jason's petition?

I'm assuming the latter, that if they wanted to leave the door open for Jason, then they would have announced only 2 sr men to the team with the rest as alts, but just want to be sure. (And no, I'm not a Jason-uber desperate to see him in, just want to make sure I understand correctly... before I start telling other people I know are interested!)

Thanks!!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So, just to make sure I'm crystal clear on this, could somebody please help me understand...

Is Jason's petition still "open", with the option still open to substitute Jason onto to the team if he recovers in time?

Or did the announcement of the Sr Men's team effectively close the door on Jason's petition?

I'm assuming the latter, that if they wanted to leave the door open for Jason, then they would have announced only 2 sr men to the team with the rest as alts, but just want to be sure. (And no, I'm not a Jason-uber desperate to see him in, just want to make sure I understand correctly... before I start telling other people I know are interested!)

Thanks!!!

The door is closed. His petition was not accepted. If one of the team members can't go, the first alternate will.

But why you had to say don't worry I'm not an uber is beyond me.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Ugh, Ashley. I've been off the computer since yesterday's men to cure my eyestrain headache, so I'm just seeing that she withdrew from 4CC. I'm a big fan, but this only appears lazy. She needs another competition to work out some kinks. Very happy that Mirai gets a chance to shine internationally. But Ashley's choice is just no bueno.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nam did both two years ago. If I remember correctly, he won the JW and finished within the top ten for Senior World. Nathan is more capable to accomplish the same if he is fitted enough.

Actually Nam finished 12th in his first senior Worlds but got 9th in the FP.

fairly4

Medalist
I with someone who states not sending Emily and Vivian to junior worlds is a mistake.

I think that is why kind of gets behind and /or not seems to try in senior ranks knowing if young enough they go back to junior worlds.

but rules state they pick from senior ranks first.

Thank you for the catch.

Last edited:

Spinning

On the Ice
Actually Nam finished 12th in his first senior Worlds but got 9th in the FP.

THX for correcting me. :biggrin: My point still stand it is doable. First off, he need to be healthy enough at least for one of these championship. :palmf: Latest injury is very bothersome. Hope he gets well soon.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have the updated the OP re today's news that Grant and Tomoki will replace Nathan at Worlds and Junior Worlds, respectively.

(Also re Mirai replacing Ashley at Four Continents, as we learned on Jan 24.)

Best wishes to Nathan for a smooth and complete recovery after yesterday's surgery.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have the updated the OP re today's news that Grant and Tomoki will replace Nathan at Worlds and Junior Worlds, respectively.

(Also re Mirai replacing Ashley at Four Continents, as we learned on Jan 24.)

Best wishes to Nathan for a smooth and complete recovery after yesterday's surgery.

I'm really sad now. :'( This was Nathan's year to take the junior title.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have updated the OP with this morning's news that Adam elected not to compete at Four Continents, and Ross will take his place there.

So happens that tonight I came across this nice photo of Ross and Adam sitting together as spectators at the ladies free skate in St. Paul. #usaMenCamaraderieYetAgain :cool: