Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'd like to see you giving interviews, in a rush, after a skate, or before a gala.... and I'd like to see your reaction when media would take some of your words and bunch them all together to assign them unclear meanings.... seriously... this is why I have a few times, watch him give live interviews, the ones that are not 20 seconds long, but the extended ones, where he clearly has a chance to express himself properly.

Finally, age doesn't matter to me in here... the point is that if he had really wished harm to people. whether he is 15, 20 or 50 wouldn't matter to me... that would be bad... but he hasn't done so... people assign him bad intentions... .why? because he is candid and saying things differently from all other skaters who are doing the : thank you thank you.. love you all kind of interviews.... those, we don't hear so much about because they have no value to media.... but then Chan expands on the danger of quads on 1) injuries and 2) saying that it could lower artistic value of skating and suddenly people transform this into
1 ) he wants his competitors injured and 2) he thinks his competitors aren't skating nice artistic programs because they have quads....

and then it turns into a hot mess in this forum...

I wish people understood what media is doing... they are there to SELL... they are successful as this thread indicates.
There are many ways in which he could have said that without making it sound like he's waiting for his competitors to get injured, yet he phrased it in that particular way. Why?

Since I don't know him personally, I don't have an opinion on how much of a nice guy he is or isn't. But if he doesn't want to come across as petty and rude, he can always avoid making statements that can be interpreted as such. The fact that after so many years he still doesn't take the time to stop and think about what comes out of his mouth makes me think it's intentional. I suppose some people find that endearing. Maybe it was cute when he was 20, but he's older now and really should know better.

yuki

Final Flight
but then Chan expands on the danger of quads on 1) injuries and 2) saying that it could lower artistic value of skating and suddenly people transform this into
1 ) he wants his competitors injured and 2) he thinks his competitors aren't skating nice artistic programs because they have quads....

Why was this not an issue when he was the one doing more quads than his competitors? Is it merely a coincidence that he cares about this now, when he's being left behind technically? 2 quads = good / 3 quads = bad seems like such an arbitrary (and self-serving) number.

I wish people understood what media is doing... they are there to SELL... they are successful as this thread indicates.

Obviously. They wouldn't have much to sell without his contribution, though.

I am aware that the holier-than-thou statements are his way of motivating himself and psyching himself up for competition. After all, he can't really say "I'm never going to beat these guys," can he? Now he just has to find a way of maintaining that positive outlook without coming across as: a. clueless (see the comments about long quad setups in the first article, which apply to exactly none of his direct competitors) and b. disrespectful of his competitors' achievements. I believe it's entirely possible and wish him good luck.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why was this not an issue when he was the one doing more quads than his competitors? Is it merely a coincidence that he cares about this now, when he's being left behind technically? 2 quads = good / 3 quads = bad seems like such an arbitrary (and self-serving) number.

Obviously. They wouldn't have much to sell without his contribution, though.

I am aware that the holier-than-thou statements are his way of motivating himself and psyching himself up for competition. After all, he can't really say "I'm never going to beat these guys," can he? Now he just has to find a way of maintaining that positive outlook without coming across as: a. clueless (see the comments about long quad setups in the first article, which apply to exactly none of his direct competitors) and b. disrespectful of his competitors' achievements. I believe it's entirely possible and wish him good luck.
erm... his contribution or the one of the journalist who "re-organized his words" ??? this is the point I have made in my previous post... watch him in a real interview. not in a copy and paste, remove this important part, ask him about his competitors then put it next to a sentence where he mentions injuries... etc... this is not serious journalism... it's tabloid. if you prefer reading those, then go ahead... I prefer basing my opinions on better sources.

Hasta la vista ;)

and regarding the rest, I am not going to debate it here as it's been done...

you can read this many other ways,…

To me, this is the problem. Patrick always seems to word things in such a way that it infuriates some people while requiring that his supporters jump in with "interpretations" of what he really said and what he meant by it.

Oh well. Athletes can say what they want. So can fans. Skate, Patrick, skate! :yes:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
but that's the point... he says some things that are put in a nebulous context by a journalist who wants some attention... that's all... :) and it's working ;)

To me, this is the problem. Patrick always seems to word things in such a way that it infuriates some people while requiring that his supporters jump in with "interpretations" of what he really said and what he meant by it.

Oh well. Athletes can say what they want. So can fans. Skate, Patrick, skate! :yes: