Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Stop spreading blatant lies. Yuzuru Hanyu has more transitions in his programs than Patrick Chan. And he's doing it with a quality that Patrick can cannot do.

They both have many transitions in different places in their programs.
Yuzu has more transitions into and out of his big elements than any other skater and Chan has many transitions spaced throughout but less into and out of his 'big' jumps.

whatif

Medalist
Chan can keep doing his intricate footwork and getting the exact PCS scores he deserves BRAVO! while the world around him moves on. He can not complain about anyone being biased towards what he actually lays out there and then some more.

begin

Medalist
Sounds like he's being a sore loser. This is just more outrageous, disrespectful, hypocritical commentary from him. He could never do a spread eagle-4S-spread eagle, let alone a spread eagle-3A-spread eagle or rocker-3A...

The quality of skating HAS diminished. I suspect your idea of what constitutes skating differs from Patrick's.

Getting real sick of the faux politeness figure skating fans expect from the competitors. I understand this is global sport and some are more accustomed to a culture of humility, but not all athletes are expected to be like Disney protagonists.

Last edited:

robredo40

On the Ice
I think Hanyu peaked at the grand prix final while Chan is just getting warmed up, i said at the start of the season if Hanyu continued on this path he would have nothing left for Worlds that`s why he is Skipping 4CC imploding there could be super risky for worlds.

louisa05

Final Flight
Sour grapes or not, he has a point.

Baseball was not well served by an obsession with home runs in the 90s/00s. Obsession with big feats that happen quickly and draw a big cheer in any sport are a problem when they are at the expense of the sport as a whole. Balance is always necessary.

Programs with lots of quads, Hanyu excepted, seem to come with little attention to choreo, transitions, interpretation, or the quality of other elements. Those who can get past their love of Max or Nathan or jump revolutions can recognize that that is what we saw today.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
The quality of skating HAS diminished. I suspect your idea of what constitutes skating differs from Patrick's.

Getting real sick of the faux politeness figure skating fans expect from the competitors. I understand this is global sport and some are more accustomed to a culture of humility, but not all athletes are expected to be like Disney protagonists.

He specifically called out Yuzuru Hanyu (this is about the fourth or fifth time he's specifically named him) for low-quality skating, which every skating expert in the world agrees that his skating quality is NOT low-quality. It's blatant lies and that is outrageous.

dailytg20

On the Ice
Someone needs to send Patrick a bag of throat lozenges so that anytime he is approached by the media for quotes he could just mouth "I'm sorry, I lost my voice" and moonwalk away.

This season more than ever before Hanyu, Hernandez, Uno & Company have proven that you don’t have to choose between athleticism and style. You really can have both. Often when skaters invoke this argument in public it inevitably feels like a self-serving false dichotomy. Whether it’s Elvis Stojko lamenting the lack of quads or Jill Trenary bemoaning the shift from away from compulsory figures, the "problem with this sport" always just happens to be a move away from the person’s competitive strength to their competitive weakness.

Yes, the changes in the sport and judging make for a good debate, but from people with a vested interest it will always come off as defensive, passive-aggressive and ultimately more convenient than 7-11.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I think Hanyu peaked at the grand prix final while Chan is just getting warmed up, i said at the start of the season if Hanyu continued on this path he would have nothing left for Worlds that`s why he is Skipping 4CC imploding there could be super risky for worlds.

That's what people said about NHK Hanyu too. :rolleye:

Baseball was not well served by an obsession with home runs in the 90s/00s. Obsession with big feats that happen quickly and draw a big cheer in any sport are a problem when they are at the expense of the sport as a whole. Balance is always necessary.

Bunt for a base hit. Steal second. Take third on a hit ad run. Score on a sacrifice fly. Win one to nothing in a pitcher's dual. :rock: ;)

begin

Medalist
He specifically called out Yuzuru Hanyu (this is about the fourth or fifth time he's specifically named him) for low-quality skating, which every skating expert in the world agrees that his skating quality is NOT low-quality. It's blatant lies and that is outrageous.

Blatant lies or just his opinion? That's incredible of you to speak on behalf of every skating expert in the world :rolleye:

I don't know if you follow any other sports but athletes don't just go up to reporters and start commentating on random topics. They're approached and specifically asked about something--the answers of which are later framed out-of-context in the publication to support the writer's narrative. Patrick was probably asked about his competitors and that's why he keeps mentioning Yuzuru.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Oh Patrick, always the victim. :shame: Shame on everyone for calling you out on your insults. It was just perfect when you upped the technical standards to just 3 quad programs, how dare other inferior skaters ruin the perfect ratio you set up (for yourself to win) and add an extra quad (or 2) :sad4: How hard must life be for Patrick to be at the top(ish). No one understands. :no:

/s

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if you follow any other sports but athletes don't just go up to reporters and start commentating on random topics.

Are you going to tell me WWE wrestling isn't a sport :biggrin:

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with Patrick! At the way it's going, why not just have a jumping contest.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Blatant lies or just his opinion? That's incredible of you to speak on behalf of every skating expert in the world :rolleye:

I don't know if you follow any other sports but athletes don't just go up to reporters and start commentating on random topics. They're approached and specifically asked about something--the answers of which are later framed out-of-context in the publication to support the writer's narrative. Patrick was probably asked about his competitors and that's why he keeps mentioning Yuzuru.

I don't have to speak on behalf of anyone. They've said it. And he just loves degrading them, doesn't he? When Hanyu shows nothing but respect... The "his words are taken out of context, he's approached with these questions" pity party excuse people try to use doesn't work on me...

louisa05

Final Flight
Bunt for a base hit. Steal second. Take third on a hit ad run. Score on a sacrifice fly. Win one to nothing in a pitcher's dual. :rock: ;)

Hey, I'm a Royals fan. They just won the World Series scoring like that. :) Something their GM specifically put the team together to do because their home park has deep fences.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
Pretty much that.
And this is also what annoys me about those constant quad discussions on the forum. One group accuses the other of only being quad crazy and not caring about the rest, and the supposed "quad lovers" accuse the other group of only caring about artistry and not the athleticism or whatever. Quads are not a necessity, a program can be absolutely gorgeous without quads. But heaven forbid that someone thinks you can actually do both: do the darn quads but also don't forget about the rest that makes a program a program and not just a jump fest. At some point in time, somebody has to explain to me why one automatically excludes the other. And the fact that most skaters can't do both at the same time is not an argument in my book. If you can't do "artistry" + multiple quads, that's not the fault of the guy who can do it.

I admit that when I first started becoming a skating fan back in 2006 I was all about the quads but over time I've learned to really appreciate the artistic side of it and now quads are just a small part of it for me. The current generation of top skaters has made me more invested in skating than ever before because they're pushing themselves and each other while being genuinely friendly about it so for Chan to say that they're somehow diminishing the sport feels disrespectful.

Edited for a bit more clarity.

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
If Patrick wants to argue that he has better skating skills than the rest of the men's field then I have no issue with that whatsoever. Even if he says he is more artistic I wouldn't really be bothered even if I don't necessarily agree with him. But what really turns me off about him is his constant framing of Hanyu and Javier as just these quad machines in such a very dismissive way. Denis Ten does not even get any consideration despite the fact I would put him with that top group as well. Hanyu and Javier (plus Denis) may not have his level of skating skills or artistry but they are in that top group. They both have improved tremendously as skaters and performers. They are complete skaters who are capable of doing intricate programs that are not only technically difficult but are also interesting and compelling for the audience. Whether you like their programs is a matter of taste but you can't argue that they have done their programs masterfully and with confidence.

begin

Medalist
I don't have to speak on behalf of anyone. They've said it. And he just loves degrading them, doesn't he? When Hanyu shows nothing but respect... The "his words are taken out of context, he's approached with these questions" pity party excuse people try to use doesn't work on me...

It's not a pity party. I'm not telling you approve of Patrick's comments or persuading you to believe he's a victim. I just don't think he's unprovoked when specifically bring up Yuzu. And seriously? Not every 'skating expert' thinks Hanyu is the greatest at everything.

Yuzuru is respectful because that's expected of him from the Japanese audiences. No reason to hold everyone to those standards.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has focused on the performance side of figure skating for the last few years while doing multiple quads per competition so it's not like he is suddenly defending the artistry of figure skating.

Read carefully to understand he is talking about 4-quad programs. He is saying doing 4 quads will take up half the program, leaving half a program jammed with all other elements and half rather empty but for the quads. Artistry will surely suffer with such choreography. He may include up to 3 quads in his LP but will not be into a 4-quad program himself.

I respect his view and his strategies for himself as well as others' plans for their program contents. Each has to do what's right by them, their bodies, skills, and values. We will see if so many quads will diminish skating artistry and whether they will damage bodies, even the slim narrow type built for fast rotations.

For Patrick, he decides the balance is at 3 quad limit. I certainly wish for him to have that balance and not sacrifice his artistry for an additional quad. I also acknowledge he has the credential to know what he's talking about as far as figure skating is concerned.