Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Quite honestly, I don't fully agree with everything Patrick Chan said in this particular interview. However, I will say that skaters like Boyang Jin arent doing the sport any favors with the endless quads and no artistry. More time and focus should be placed on other aspects such as one's skating skills, spins, and choreography.

I still cant wrap my head around Chan's inclusion of Hanyu though.

begin

Medalist
Are you going to tell me WWE wrestling isn't a sport :biggrin:

lol touché. Actually a lot of athletes go out of their way to trash talk into a camera.

Which makes figure skating all the more odd for expecting everyone to play nice.

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
I would be more impressed if Patrick has a consistent 4S, but choose to do only 2 Quads because three quads will disrupt the flow of his program.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
lol touché. Actually a lot of athletes go out of their way to trash talk into a camera.

Which makes figure skating all the more odd for expecting everyone to place nice.

A lot of athletes in other sports get attacked/hate for their trash talking. Skaters can talk s*** all they want, but it also means they're opening themselves to receive backlash and people calling them out for it. Fair game goes both ways.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I really hope Chan bombs at worlds

I'd rather hope not. It would be better if everyone went clean and have the best skaters come out on top. Mainly cause I paid a lot of money and I want to see everyone at their best :laugh:

Esopian

Final Flight
I don't know why I laughed when I read the article, I just thought "Again?!" Maybe I don't take what Chan says too seriously now because he seems to always put his foot in his mouth when he voices his opinion on the current men's skating field. :noshake:

I've seen Chan twice live at the Canadian Stars on Ice, so no doubt he's a great skater and is a top contender, but it's really disrespectful to put his direct competitors down [Javi & Yuzu and everyone else who does more quads than him] when they train very hard and put a lot of work into perfecting both jumping and skating skills.

brightphoton

Medalist
Maybe instead of doing quads, everyone should fall on at least 3 elements, any element they want, from a quad to crossover. All they have to do is somehow get people to faint over their "skating skills" and "edges", and we'll have the figure skating Patrick likes.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'd rather hope not. It would be better if everyone went clean and have the best skaters come out on top. Mainly cause I paid a lot of money and I want to see everyone at their best :laugh:

ITA, Patrick is still great to watch on the ice. Besides, how awesome could it be to have something close to the men's FS at the GPF in Boston? Adding Denis into the mix and the American men :agree2:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Quite honestly, I don't fully agree with everything Patrick Chan said in this particular interview. However, I will say that skaters like Boyang Jin arent doing the sport any favors with the endless quads and no artistry. More time and focus should be placed on other aspects such as one's skating skills, spins, and choreography.

I disagree, if it were not for the likes of Tonya Harding and Timothy Goebel (I can only think of these two examples at the moment so don't hold me to this) who pushed the athletic part of skating out of necessity because they don't have the artistry, we would not have seen the likes of Mao Asada or Patrick Chan years later develop and put out programs that are the height of technical and artistic achievements of their time.

Hanyu has credited Boyang Jin and Patrick Chan as the catalyst for him upping his quads which led us to those amazing performances at NHK and GPF. It's not like Boyang Jin is getting the PCS to put him over the more complete skaters. And if we are going to complain about the negative influence of the Boyang Jins to the sport, then shouldn't we also look at skaters that don't do any quads at all at the senior level as also diminishing the sport?

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice

Not true. Jin is pushing the technical side of the sport. Whether you think he has artistry or not is moot. Hanyu added a fourth quad at the gpf. Nathan Chen just completed a four quad program at Nationals and will be competing with the best in the world in March. Safe to say that Boyang started it with his six qaud layout, so you are mistaken.

sowcow

On the Ice
I wonder if the CBC and the Toronto Star articles will prompt Elvis Stojko to chime back in to the 'Quadgate' controversy?

Ooohh... :drama:...the drama!! [...I just thought I'd help to stir the pot!]

daphenaxa

Record Breaker

With everyone else clean, if Patrick skates relatively clean with 2 quads and even only one 3A, judges will probably put him 1st or 2nd.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
honestly I don't need this whole drama, I just wish all skaters follow their plans and skate the best they can :giveup:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Patrick has focused on the performance side of figure skating for the last few years while doing multiple quads per competition so it's not like he is suddenly defending the artistry of figure skating.

Read carefully to understand he is talking about 4-quad programs. He is saying doing 4 quads will take up half the program, leaving half a program jammed with all other elements and half rather empty but for the quads. Artistry will surely suffer with such choreography. He may include up to 3 quads in his LP but will not be into a 4-quad program himself.

I respect his view and his strategies for himself as well as others' plans for their program contents. Each has to do what's right by them, their bodies, skills, and values. We will see if so many quads will diminish skating artistry and whether they will damage bodies, even the slim narrow type built for fast rotations.

For Patrick, he decides the balance is at 3 quad limit. I certainly wish for him to have that balance and not sacrifice his artistry for an additional quad. I also acknowledge he has the credential to know what he's talking about as far as figure skating is concerned.

Thank you for a balanced and level-headed explanation of what Chan was talking about. However:
"It's getting a little ridiculous. It's like the slam dunk contest, that's what it's becoming," Chan said. "I will be dead honest, I think with my experience and credibility at this point, I can say already with the men doing three quads, the quality of skating is diminished."

The 25-year-old from Toronto landed two huge quads in his long program Saturday night. He has one in his short program.

So he is in fact saying that the 3-quad program is a little ridiculous. -but he's not above training the quad sal and putting it in his program in later seasons.
Whether what Chan said was respectful or not is beside the point, and he does have a voice in the sport as one of the leading men. But he is being inconsistent in his statements.

Last edited:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I disagree, if it were not for the likes of Tonya Harding and Timothy Goebel (I can only think of these two examples at the moment so don't hold me to this) who pushed the athletic part of skating out of necessity because they don't have the artistry, we would not have seen the likes of Mao Asada or Patrick Chan years later develop and put out programs that are the height of technical and artistic achievements of their time.

Hanyu has credited Boyang Jin and Patrick Chan as the catalyst for him upping his quads which led us to those amazing performances at NHK and GPF. It's not like Boyang Jin is getting the PCS to put him over the more complete skaters. And if we are going to complain about the negative influence of the Boyang Jins to the sport, then shouldn't we also look at skaters that don't do any quads at all at the senior level as also diminishing the sport?

I agree that Jin's technical skills have motivated skaters like Yuzu to bring their A game to events like NHK and GPF. However, the rest of his skating is so painfully mediocre. Compare Boyang to Nathan Chen and tell me who you honestly think has a more promising future?

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Not true. Jin is pushing the technical side of the sport. Whether you think he has artistry or not is moot. Hanyu added a fourth quad at the gpf. Nathan Chen just completed a four quad program at Nationals and will be competing with the best in the world in March. Safe to say that Boyang started it with his six qaud layout, so you are mistaken.

I was only trying to find some reason in Chan's interview. Boyang is definitely pushing the sport technically, no doubt about it. But let's face it, his skating skills and PCS scores are nothing to run home about.

begin

Medalist
A lot of athletes in other sports get attacked/hate for their trash talking. Skaters can talk s*** all they want, but it also means they're opening themselves to receive backlash and people calling them out for it. Fair game goes both ways.

Maybe I watch too much basketball but I disagree. Everyone gets some internet flack about 'staying classy' but that rarely stops other athletes from being outspoken. Very few of them have the same compulsion to be as deferential and diplomatic as figure skaters.

I imagine this pressure to be likable comes from the 'subjective' nature of the sport. It's not like most of these skaters have multi-million dollar brands to worry about but they need their federation and judges to like them.