Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel

Interspectator

Record Breaker
As a fan, what exactly does a quad do for you? Why is it so exciting? Men have been doing 3As for a long time. How is an extra half revolution giving so much meaning to your life and/or skating that we must throw the adjective "quadless" (which is not really a word) around like it is equivalent to "leper" in ancient times or maybe "racist" in modern times? What is the attraction?

Frankly, when I watch live, I can't tell a quad from a triple if it is on the other side of the rink.

This is a good question!
This could never be mistaken for a triple jump.
https://youtu.be/OEBUDDr1mvw?t=50s

It depends on how well the quad is jumped actually. -And I also find 3A's tremendously cool to watch, Han Yan's for instance makes him look like he's actually flying. A scratching little quad that's barely around can be mistaken for a triple... but the Quads of Jin, Max, Mura, Yuzu, Javi and Patrick (my favorite quad jumpers) make the whole crowd go 'WOOOOOW' ...I've been in the audience when a really good quad or 3A is landed...it's thrilling. Did it add meaning to my life? Heh, no. That's not why I watch skating. For that I read the Psalms. :biggrin: But it was super fun to watch!
I was watching a skating Gala with a friend of mine who was visiting for the afternoon. She doesn't watch skating but was just keeping me company. She couldn't tell a quad from a triple or a triple from a double...but what did she remark on? Mura's Jumps, Yuzu's Jumps, -and spins, and skating. After it was over she said, the guys were impressive, those jumps they did, just WOW! It wasn't just the jumps she liked, but they were a highlight for her.
I don't look down on skaters who choose not to do quads...but quads are assigned a specific points value for their difficulty. If you don't jump a quad, you don't get the points for it. Simple as that.
There are plenty of other ways to get points though, so if a skater opts for using other methods to win, then good on them!

The point I disagree on with Chan is that 3 quads in a program (an arbitrary number, why not 2? or 1? or 5?) will definitively lower the quality of the skating. Javi and Yuzu have shown us that it doesn't have to be like that. That it is possible to aim for incredibly difficult technical elements while also being engaging, include transitions, display good skating skills and a connection to the music AND entertain a crowd.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
The point I disagree on with Chan is that 3 quads in a program (an arbitrary number, why not 2? or 1? or 5?) will definitively lower the quality of the skating. Javi and Yuzu have shown us that it doesn't have to be like that. That it is possible to aim for incredibly difficult technical elements while also being engaging, include transitions, display good skating skills and a connection to the music AND entertain a crowd.
+1 to this.

treeloving

Medalist
Put glasses on because you have clear problems with your eyes. Hanyu is doing transitions to all of his quads. It's Chan who does NOTHING to his quads, just slides with basic setup. :disapp:

And his 3A hahahaha, almost take as long set up as Mao.

I feel sorry for Patrick. It seems like the Canadian press is on a lifetime mission to make him look like a fool.

All he had to say was that he thinks the trend towards quad, quad, quad at the expense of other aspects of performance is not doing figure skating any favors. If asked about his rivals, he can just say that there is incredibly tough competition out there, but he plans to stick to his own path to the top. This season, that means working in a second quad toe and a second triple Axel while not neglecting footwork, blade skills and presentation.

begin

Medalist
I'm pretty sure he is respectful because of good upbringing. Unless being respectful is only expected in certain parts of the world?

We don't know anything about his upbringing. The point is that what's considered disrespectful of a competitor isn't the same every where in the world.

Oh, come on! Isn't it a standard for every human being to be respectful to each other, and before all for an athlete, who is a role model to junior athletes and fans. And I haven't seen a single picture or video at backstage or at the airport etc. where Yuzuru would behave unpolitely or look cross or be in a bad humor.

[/B]

A lot of star athletes don't hold themselves to your standard of being a role model. They talk up and down their competition plenty and people generally don't think less of them. That doesn't make them disrespectful. They are peers among one another and are very entitled to have opinions about one another's abilities.

I don't really mind what Patrick is saying TBH. For one I think he believes what he is saying. I don't agree with him and actually wish PCS scores played far less role in the final standings then they do but that doesn't mean I don't see his point and even respect it.

Secondly...Patrick is just politicking for himself which doesn't bother me at all. He's just making a case for himself. I suspect a lot of people would agree with him.

Thank you.

begin

Medalist
I feel sorry for Patrick. It seems like the Canadian press is on a lifetime mission to make him look like a fool.

All he had to say was that he thinks the trend towards quad, quad, quad at the expense of other aspects of performance is not doing figure skating any favors. If asked about his rivals, he can just say that there is incredibly tough competition out there, but he plans to stick to his own path to the top. This season, that means working in a second quad toe and a second triple Axel while not neglecting footwork, blade skills and presentation.

Him mentioning Hanyu just makes people here myopic.

And I agree. Patrick wasn't speaking only of his competitors, he's talking about all the men who are required to do more quads at the expense of the quality of their skating. He's not excluding himself form this theory either.

Interspectator

Record Breaker

You could be his PR advisor. :yes:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have no doubt in reality Patrick is a decent young man.
Of course everyone has their own shortcomings and in this case it's Patrick and his mouth.
I have to say whenever they quote him... :palmf:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Of course everyone has their own shortcomings and in this case it's Patrick and his mouth.

Well Meryl Davis described Patrick as having a heart of gold, and I have read my compatriot Michael Christian Martinez's account of how kind Patrick was to him in Sochi. But yes, I would rather have his beautiful skating do the talking for him.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I always thought Patrick had pretty good relationships with lots of the other skaters too. And after TEB 2013 a friend and I briefly had a run-in with a group of skaters - without them realizing we were skating fans - and Patrick was polite and friendly.

But that doesn't mean a generally nice person might not have pretty bad habits, and it's not as if the reporters were forcing him to say that stuff (although they're probably really waiting for it). Every time he says stuff like this about his competitors I'm just like: :dbana: I have grown really fond of that smily these days

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

He is just so unguardedly honest and open but being not the most carefully articulate public figure, is so subject to misinterpretations, malicious or not. Actually, this season, he has expressed so much of his own frustrations and painful journey of coming back to competition, laying his vulnerability open to all.

Those who actually know him, including many skaters, love him and think very highly of him. To me that's more indicative of who he is as a human being. That and his many benevolent actions and contributions to the sport and the communities.

So there are those with proclivity to grab whatever words from him they can mold into whatever meanings and characterizations they wish. Then, let them have their glee.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I always thought Patrick had pretty good relationships with lots of the other skaters too. And after TEB 2013 a friend and I briefly had a run-in with a group of skaters - without them realizing we were skating fans - and Patrick was polite and friendly.

But that doesn't mean a generally nice person might not have pretty bad habits, and it's not as if the reporters were forcing him to say that stuff (although they're probably really waiting for it). Every time he says stuff like this about his competitors I'm just like: :dbana: I have grown really fond of that smily these days

Well I don't know if his remarks on these interviews has reached Hanyu and Javier, how can they not though. But he is lucky that they are mature and respectful towards him at least in public. If I were them I would be pissed off. It also helps that Brian Orser is not only Canadian (so probably does not want to really start a fuss with a Canadian athlete) and also has a reputation of not criticizing his athletes' competition. Look at how he handled the rivalry between Mao and Yuna and later on Hanyu with Patrick...he always emphasized that it makes his athletes better. If this was Mishin or Rafael Arutunian (who was loudly critical of the lack of quads at the US Nationals almost to the expense of his own athlete Adam) you know they would not have been as diplomatic.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well I don't know if his remarks on these interviews has reached Hanyu and Javier, how can they not though. But he is lucky that they are mature and respectful towards him at least in public. If I were them I would be pissed off. It also helps that Brian Orser is not only Canadian (so probably does not want to really start a fuss with a Canadian athlete) and also has a reputation of not criticizing his athletes' competition. Look at how he handled the rivalry between Mao and Yuna and later on Hanyu with Patrick...he always emphasized that it makes his athletes better. If this was Mishin or Rafael Arutunian (who was loudly critical of the lack of quads at the US Nationals almost to the expense of his own athlete Adam) you know they would not have been as diplomatic.

Be pissed off for yourself as you please but these people don't need your rage on their behalf. Javi and Patrick are very good friends and Brian has known Patrick from when he was a little kid. Their relationships are solid with mutual affection and respect. He likely doesn't have the circumstances to have a relationship with Hanyu as close as with the others, but Hanyu told Patrick while on the Skate Canada podium that he (Hanyu) would win the next time and be on the top of the podium. And he made good his words. I think Hanyu stands up for himself very well. But of course you have the right to stay being pissed off for your own pleasure.

kresslia

Medalist
People gotta get mad over everything he says. I don't even see what's wrong with this. Plenty of people have been saying this, yet when he says it, there's a big uproar. I guarantee if someone beloved on this site like Hanyu said this people would be going "my precious angel, omgg!! You're so right. :'( "

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I think he just said what he feels and does not know how to turn it into better words, that means he is just bluntly honest, more or less like Simon Cowell. They both told their true feelings without sugarcoating. So whether he is being a sour loser or not, only he and God know.

His words might not be welcome by some people, but I think he really does have a point. People seem to focus too much on the quad and miss the rest of the program. In fact not only the quads, they put too many transitions in it. I am not a fan of crazy transitions, whether they are between the elements or before or after the jumps, I mean yes you did it a difficult transition into a jump and out of the jump, but it sometimes has nothing to do with the music! Sometimes it is not artistic at all!

In fact, to me, the WOW factor does not necessarily have to be the quads. I mean yes it's nice, it's a difficult jump and the skater should be rewarded. But sometimes I would rather see delays in jumps, BEAUTIFUL arm variations in jumps etc. These moves seem tiny, but it is these tiny details that make a program aesthetically pleasing. It is decorating a Christmas tree with more tiny little ornaments rather than putting a giant star but nothing much below, or a person putting less and mild make-up rather than putting extreme long eye-lashes and super big red lipstick. Sometimes simple is more beautiful.

After all, it is just a matter of opinion. Some like quads, some do not. You may ignore my stupid opinion:)

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
People gotta get mad over everything he says. I don't even see what's wrong with this. Plenty of people have been saying this, yet when he says it, there's a big uproar. I guarantee if someone beloved on this site like Hanyu said this people would be going "my precious angel, omgg!! You're so right. :'( "

I'd hope not. If it's a skater I like saying something that sounds disrespectful, I'd dislike it just as much.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Longer qoute
“This is why I’m really glad I’m not panicking over where I’m sitting internationally (right now),” said Chan on Sunday at the Scotiabank Centre, site of the Canadian championships. “It’s like, ‘Go ahead guys. Go for it.’ Yuzu and Javy can fight it out and I’d like to just sit back and stay with my strategy and my plan and we’ll see how those guys will unfold. There’s always injuries that can happen …. They’re going to hit a plateau. They’re going to have to. And maybe Yuzu will add a fourth quad (to his long program), and then after that, that’s it. But with adding that fourth quad, he’s upping the risk factor, the reward-risk factor becomes much larger. So let them keep pushing each other and I’ll just sit back and enjoy the show from afar.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/24/chan-is-right-where-he-wants-to-be

Really great attitude from him.... :sarcasm:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I think he manages that all by himself...you really think the Canadian press puts those words in his mouth? Over & over again? It's one thing when you have a cocky teenager saying dumb things, but he's 25 years old for crying out loud, he KNOWS his words will be quoted and he still doesn't think before he speaks, or else he just doesn't care. So while he's entitled to run his mouth & say what he wants, I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Last edited:

eta

Medalist

No, you can't guarantee that. There is no "if" because he hasn't been anything but pleasant towards other competitors and your supposition has no ground to rest upon.